New setup - ideas and advice requested

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by rcaudwell, Aug 7, 2012.

1. rcaudwell

rcaudwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Hi all,
    Apologies in advance for this being a bit of a vague request, I`m currently trying to get clear in my mind which way to go to set up a proper media server/network in my house. Getting completely confused with all the options and could do with some pros and cons/gen advice.
    My current setup is a bit of a botch job, running a Win8 RC desktop as the central machine and sharing my music and videos (my own ripped DVD and Bluray) through PS3 media server, to my PS3 and/or Samsung TV (in living room downstairs), using homeplugs. It kind of works, but isn`t ideal, I have to transcode the Bluray down to get it to work over the homeplugs without stuttering (200mbps, yeah right!!) and am running out of space on the PC - 1tb internal with 1tb external USB drive.

I will have access to my wife`s old laptop soon, and will also be getting BT infinity, which i believe comes with a router with a gigabit port. Networking aside, I`m in two minds whether to retask the laptop as an HTPC, to get the front-end etc etc, pulling the content off the dektop upstairs, or whether to get a NAS, either to use with the laptop, or get one with a DLNA client and stream direct from that.

As usual with these things, i`ve tied myself in knots and looked at so many websites I can`t decide what to do, advice with experiences of your own setups would be greatly appreciated. What I want to achieve is streaming of media around the house across my homeplug (but probably wired network in future) network, as easily as possible, with room for expansion space wise, and a nice front end with covers, info etc etc as a bonus.

2. maddogb

maddogb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    I personally thought if im doing all this ripping i dont want to do it again, i went for a mirrored nas unit for main storage of movies (dvd& downloads) music and photos, i really cant be arsed spending the time it takes to rip blu rays when its just as quick to get the disk out not having a huge collection and the resultant file size imho makes it a non starter.
    current prices say on a 1TB hdd will hold say about 40-50 bluerays at 1080p with features, say the avg life span is 5 years and cost of 1TB about 80 that means about 15 quid a year just for the disk space double if you want to mirror it.. not my idea of value

3. rcaudwell

rcaudwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Yes, see your point. I`m really after having all my discs available to anyone in the house (have a couple of kids as well), so thinking central server with everything on streamed to as many devices as possible. Kids have laptops, have an old XBOX1 running XBMC and the PS3 and Dreambox with HDD downstairs which will both stream, so in my case I think worth ripping blurays. not too bothered about cost of storage, the costs`s only going one way, 2-3tb will probably be then norm pretty soon, with bigger in the next few years.
    Being easily impressed by snazzy graphics, flashing screens etc though, i`ve seen some of the HTPC setups on here with the film library front end, covers, actor bios etc etc, which I would ideally like to be able to replicate through the house from the one server (but like XBOX360 media extender did (badly). Just not sure if it`s possible or where to start.

4. maddogb

maddogb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +195
    yeah its poss, i run media portal on a couple of htpcs, one in lounge and one in bedroom, both are set to look at the nas drive for the above items and i have local ssd+hdds for os and recordings on each, moving pictures=nice plugin for media portal.
    the lounge machine has 4 tuners(2dvb-t 2 dvb-s) acts as the tv server streaming to the other htpc.
    as for storage costs well its not so long hdd prices went from £40 per terrabyte to £100 per TB so don't place any high stakes on that bet ;)

5. rcaudwell

rcaudwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Thanks, that`s the sort of system I`m looking at developing. Storage prices do seem to fluctuate quite a lot, but I remember paying something ridiculous for a 20mg hard drive for my Amiga500, 2TB now for £80ish doesn`t seem so bad.