New setup help for distributing HD pics?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by 1pudding1, May 6, 2007.

1. 1pudding1

1pudding1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi all,

Sorry for the vague title, but not sure exactly what to put. Im moving into a new house in a couple of weeks. I will be redecorating the living room, and need to know beforehand how to connect and setup all my gear and future gear and what cable I'd need to hide in the walls/floor etc.

At the mo I have a 42" HD plasma. I also will be buying a HD projector soon-ish. To feed into these I will buy Sky HD plus a HD-DVD player some time in the future to add to my DVD recorder. My main question is how do I connect all these together? My first though is to buy a new AV amp that I can accept 3+ HDMI signals into it and have at least 2+ HDMI outputs to feed to the TV and proj.

Is there a better method than this? Im sure there is probabaly a better way involving some switch boxes or something without the need to buy a brand new amp, but Im not sure exactly what? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thankyou :)

2. spooney

spooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I would put cable conduits into the wall instead of planning the cable types planning enough outlet options for all kind of devices.

When I moved into my new house 2-3 years ago I did not know there is something like HDMI ;) . So far for my planning.

IMHO a AV receiver is the best 'switch box'

3. 1pudding1

1pudding1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks for the advice. Any other suggestions? How have other people coped with having a TV and a projector and connecting all their sources to both?

4. waqaszaib

waqaszaib
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    depending on your budget i would go for the new onkyo 705, great price for an amp with 3 hdmi inputs. £550 ish price mark due to release in the next few months.

5. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Agreed ... but if you do then make sure you can get the connectors down the conduits. I put plenty of 20mm spare conduit in when I did a similar job, but can't get an HDMI cable down it, so need to use DVI-HDMI convertors!

On the topic of the OP, it feels to me like there is still change to come in connections (HDMI 3 and the like) - so I think trunking is well worth while - but at least put in a couple of HDMI's to each end-point. 2 to allow for one getting broken

Cheers

Greg