New Setup Help 7.1.2 or 5.1.4

TomDaPom

Novice Member
Hi all,

In a month's time I will be moving into my own place where I intended to expand my audio and step it up a level.

At the moment I'm running a 5.1 system using a Yamaha RXV685, Polk S60s for fronts, S30 centre, S20s for rears and a HTS12 sub.

I'm planning on upgrading the amp to a Yamaha RXV2085 as I like the MusicCast feature and can get a great deal through work. I'll likely sell my S20s and get either 2 pairs of S15s which I can wall mount and get 2 in ceilings for a 7.1.2 configuration or keep my S20s directly behind me and do 4 Polk V80 in ceilings for a 5.1.4 setup.

I have attached some photos of the new lounge space which has a somewhat open plan layout and some concrete walls which may make running the cables difficult. I'll be wall mounting the TV above the heater and make a custom shelf for the centre to sit on. The carpet will be getting replaced before I move in hence why having an idea of optimal speaker placement will be great for running the cables underneath prior to that happening. I have put the floor plan in the images with red dots to indicate how I would run the the 7 surround speakers.

If you could let me know your thoughts and what you would reccomended that would be really appreciated .

Thanks for your time and input :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210921-115358_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210921-115358_Outlook.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20210921-115352_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210921-115352_Outlook.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20210921-115347_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210921-115347_Outlook.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20211017-204431_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211017-204431_Gallery.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 38

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Lovely looking house! I`m not sure how good it would look mounting those cheapish Polks though, hopefully they are at least white to blend better. The open plan makes it really tricky so perhaps you start with the speakers you have and try in few positions (surrounds). Ceiling looks high which is positive for overhead channels and 5.1.4 is possible one pair in front and another pair behind listeners. Google: Dolby 5.1.4 overhead guide and you see the correct positions/angles in the downloadable pdf file. That small HTS12 woofer is going to feel lost in that space sadly. You would need two larger subwoofers to get some more grunt which would cost quite a bit, the negative side of large open room. As you have such large looking house with couple stairs to up i must ask do you have spare room which could be used as theater/hobby/work room? Smaller with walls and without openings.

FYI you don´t need to buy Polk ceiling speakers necessarily. Check if there is good deals available for other brands too.

TomDaPom

Novice Member
Lovely looking house! I`m not sure how good it would look mounting those cheapish Polks though, hopefully they are at least white to blend better. The open plan makes it really tricky so perhaps you start with the speakers you have and try in few positions (surrounds). Ceiling looks high which is positive for overhead channels and 5.1.4 is possible one pair in front and another pair behind listeners. Google: Dolby 5.1.4 overhead guide and you see the correct positions/angles in the downloadable pdf file. That small HTS12 woofer is going to feel lost in that space sadly. You would need two larger subwoofers to get some more grunt which would cost quite a bit, the negative side of large open room. As you have such large looking house with couple stairs to up i must ask do you have spare room which could be used as theater/hobby/work room? Smaller with walls and without openings.

FYI you don´t need to buy Polk ceiling speakers necessarily. Check if there is good deals available for other brands too.
Thanks, I'm quite looking forward to moving in.

As for the Polks, I've always preferred the warmer sound it produces over the likes of Klipsch which I found a bit too bright for my listening. I know they're not high end and I do plan on upgrading to some better speakers in a few years time but for now I'm quite restricted with my budget.
The other bonus is I can get some really good deals directly through work on Polk and a handful of other brands. Being in NZ the prices on speakers are often 2-3x more expensive than if I was buying them in the US.

The subwoofer is lacking for sure. The rear wall of the lounge joins onto the neighbours house so I don't want to be overly intrusive with a lot of bass. I have an SVS-SB1000 on my wishlist when I have the funds.

As for another room, there is a spare room which is an ideal size for a home theatre space but it's going to be used as a spare bedroom and my partner has banned me from putting anything other than a bed in there. So I have to work with the space I've got.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Oh in that case stick with the V80s. I would go .4 for Atmos as you have plenty of space behind couch. SB1000 wouldn´t do any better in that room, do not buy any sealed sub. From SVS the likes of PB2000/PC2000 Pro or PB3000 as minium or two PB1000 Pro optimally placed, but i wouldn´t still hold my breath in that type of space that opens up from each side and is quite massive. You might not have issue swith neighbour easily, i would assume the sound proofing would be decent in that type of house. Asking neighbour to come watch some sports / showing him the cinema system with few beers could be all what is needed so you could enjoy it more often at high level. You could easilly test it at which volume it will be heard by neighbour by texting etc. Highly recommend that you get to know them, it makes life much easier if you like to crank it up time to time. Really shame you can`t bribe your Mrs. for the spare room, well perhaps in future who knows. I mean you could have bought in-wall/on-wall system for clean install and projector screen that drops from ceiling etc. There is ways to make the room wife friendly too, but requires more cash. Back to your living room, this will give some idea about the optimal speaker placement regarding the ceiling speakers. For surrounds you just got to try if you have stands then perhaps play around bit.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom