New setup for home music production

Discussion in 'Pro Audio and Musicians Forum' started by Cobb, Apr 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cobb

Cobb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,773
    I'm after a little advice. I would like to buy some equipment that would allow me to compose my own music. I have been messing around with Garageband for a few years as I mainly play guitar but I would like to venture into full composition - percussion, strings, piano etc

I don't want to spend a fortune, I'd just like a neat little home setup. I've been looking into a Midi Keyboard, I've noticed that the M-Audio Oxygen 61 comes with Ableton Live Lite - would this be ideal for a start?

I use a late 2014 Mac Mini, 1TB drive, 8GB ram, 2.6 dual core i5.

Thanks in advance :smashin:

2. duncfunk

duncfunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Finding a keyboard with bundled software is always a nice money saver so that sounds like a good deal on the Oxygen. I have an Oxygen 25, great for all the assignable controllers you get on them.

Then for recording guitar and other instruments in the future you should look at an audio interface like the Focusrite Scarlett:

Focusrite Scarlett Solo | DV247

3. 1000 Cutts

1000 Cutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    A lot of folk really like Ableton, never been there myself. However if you are used to GarageBand then stepping up to Logic seems to be a lot easier than in previous years. The GUI has been dumbed down to make Logic easier to understand but it is still just as powerful. It comes with super synths, the new Alchemy synth is lovely..