1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Set up on a Budget, would like 6.1/7.1 System if poss

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by internetuser, Jan 4, 2005.

1. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Just getting a new Panasonic 6 Plasma, and want a new sound system, since blowing £1800 on this, budget is tight. . ..

Currenty have a digi theater DTS and a Pioneer 355( ?) about 2 years old.

I can either buy a new DVD Player with component out and progressive scan (Pioneer xxx for around £120 multi region) (current one lacks this) and the Yamaha AV 50 - Yamaha RXV350 + Yamaha NSP100 5.1 Loudspeaker package for £180.

£300 total for a new amp, 5.1 speakers and DVD player.

BUT I would like a 6 or 7.1 system, as this has to last 3 years.

I may go up to £400 and a bit, if its going to be worth it, in terms of future proof, or quality tho.

As long as I have an amp and speakers is the main part, even if I buy the 6 or 7th speaker at a later date.

A new DVD player is not essential yet, as they are "cheap" but it was more to see what the plasma can do really.

People mention a Denon system for around £400 that can be upgraded to 6.1, is that much cop ?

Come to think of it, is 6.1 or 7.1 worth the extra investment ? Also what about speaker location for it ?

2. internetuser

internetuser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Help anybody ?

3. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
  4. 406lx

406lx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The price at empiredirect is very cheap, cheapest I have seen it elsewhere is £217 inc delivery.

Nero, does the sony have component in and outputs and does it support upscaling?

:hiya:

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Is it just me or are the new sony's but ugly, I've not seen them in the flesh yet but fromt he front on pictures it looks like some nasty no name compy product not a sony.

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346

It was very cheap, I bought it originally from richer sounds in bristol then saw it on empire direct and went in with a printout of it on empire direct with their phone number and he refunded me just over £82 difference back. Which I put towards my limit dvd player and gale sub :D

Unfortunately no component in or outputs, only s-video and composite. As an AV Receiver I think it's a steal at that price.

If you wanted video connection you could spend some of the money you save on one of these for a budget solution:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=171036

And I think there are other things like this av switch which you can use component through too. I have seen them as I'm getting one at some point, I gotta find them again first though.

tris