• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

new set up - freesat/freeview? getting shot of sky+

stillfirm

Standard Member
hi folks - need some help and looking through the threads this is the place to come.

in the process of changing round our viewing so 2 rooms have full TV viewing capability.

current: sky+ in to one room
desired: recordable/pausable TV in both rooms, for free
not bothered about: sports, and can live without sky movies
thinking about:
running freesat via existing cables and replacing sky+ box with freesat box;
running 2x new cables for freesat from the quad dish thing in to the new room to a freesat enabled TV.
Notes:
I dont have an aerial.
I am not fussed about recording weeks and weeks of TV on to DVDs BluRays or any other storage media. i just want the same capacity as sky+ really.

questions:
1) can i receive freeview channels via the freesat service (might be a dumb question, I am thinking no)
2) I love the sky+ service. will I be disappointed by using a different system?
3) do i need an HDD in each room or can I record in one room and view in another.

these are for starters really but I'm banking on the experts out there and some sound advice!
ta!

Geofbob

For a start, if you haven't got an aerial, forget about Freeview; but you can get Freesat via your existing Sky dish.

For Sky+ capability with Freesat, you need a Freesat PVR, and the one with the best reputation is the Humax Foxsat High Definition PVR at about £250 - Welcome to HUMAX [UK]. (For viewing HD, you'll need an HD-ready TV, of course.) You can then simply reconnect the 2 feeds to you current Sky+ box to the Humax.

If you have a TV with a built in Freesat tuner in the second rooml, & are not bothered about having recording capability in that room, then you will only need one feed from the dish to the TV.

That said, you could simply use your Sky+ box to receive the line-up of free Sky channels in the second room, & thus not need a Freesat TV. But you won't be able to use the Sky+ box to record or play back, without a Sky subscription.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
If you have a Freesat TV and Freesat PVR you will require three sat connections, 2 for the PVR and one for the TV.
Due to the huge mark up of Freesat TV's save the money and get a aerial put on the roof, through a distribution amp and feed all the TV's. That way you now have a mix of Freeview and Freesat. Channel Dave, SKY3 and Virgin are not on Freesat.

stillfirm

Standard Member
geofbob

looking at the join freesat site, the HUMAX fella seems favourite. what i really want is to be able to view recorded programmes/live TV in the 2nd room - and the potential to watch different things in each room - this is why I was initially looking at sky+ and freeview together.

could I run an RF feed back to the 2nd room and use the good old magic eye to control?

Geofbob

geofbob

looking at the join freesat site, the HUMAX fella seems favourite. what i really want is to be able to view recorded programmes/live TV in the 2nd room - and the potential to watch different things in each room - this is why I was initially looking at sky+ and freeview together.

could I run an RF feed back to the 2nd room and use the good old magic eye to control?

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused - you said in your first post that you wanted to replace Sky+ with a Freesat box; now you say you want to run Sky+ & Freeview (I think you mean Freesat) together.

Anyway, I'm afraid that one Sky feature which is not replicated by the Humax Foxsat PVR is the magic eye. But if in the 2nd room, you had a Freesat TV, a Freesat receiver (or the Sky+ box) with their own feed from the dish - you wouldn't need a link to the main room to watch live TV. But to watch the playback of a recording you would need something like a video sender from the main room to the 2nd room.

stillfirm

Standard Member
sorry for the confusion. my original plan (before posting here) was sky+ and freeview, but this would mean a) keeping sky subs and getting an aerial installed.

therefore I started looking at the freesat option.

freesat pvr in room 1 + freesat receiver + video sender in room 2 maybe the answer assuming it's straight forward to operate from the 2nd tv. it's really so the littl'un can watch the endless hours of fireman sam we record in the playroom.

the FTA channels on sky require a hefty sign up charge doesnt it. :(

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
Sorry, but I'm a bit confused - you said in your first post that you wanted to replace Sky+ with a Freesat box; now you say you want to run Sky+ & Freeview (I think you mean Freesat) together.

Anyway, I'm afraid that one Sky feature which is not replicated by the Humax Foxsat PVR is the magic eye. But if in the 2nd room, you had a Freesat TV, a Freesat receiver (or the Sky+ box) with their own feed from the dish - you wouldn't need a link to the main room to watch live TV. But to watch the playback of a recording you would need something like a video sender from the main room to the 2nd room.

You can replicate the magic eye remote control with any stb. You need to add an external modulator (if the stb does not have one already), and then a seperate 9v power supply and IR transmitter that converts the magic eye control signal back to IR in the room that the equipment is to be controlled. This has the advantage that any equipment can be controlled using the eye not just a sky box.

These available here

Buy Now

Geofbob

sorry for the confusion. my original plan (before posting here) was sky+ and freeview, but this would mean a) keeping sky subs and getting an aerial installed.

therefore I started looking at the freesat option.

freesat pvr in room 1 + freesat receiver + video sender in room 2 maybe the answer assuming it's straight forward to operate from the 2nd tv. it's really so the littl'un can watch the endless hours of fireman sam we record in the playroom.

the FTA channels on sky require a hefty sign up charge doesnt it. :(

You might wish to consider grahamlthompson's suggestion above, in preference to a video sender (sorry I didn't refer to that option).

On your final point - no, if you cancel Sky, you can receive most of Sky's FTA channels on your Sky+ box without a card or subscription; if you want to receive them all, then you need a £20 card (think the main missing channels are Fiver, Five US & Dave.)

But remember, you can't use the Sky+ box to record or play back including any recordings you've already made before cancellation - so transfer your Fireman Sam recordings before cancellation.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom