New Set-Up B&W 600 series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by W4SPY, Feb 27, 2014.

1. W4SPY

W4SPY
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, a mate suggested I ask some questions on here....instead of pestering him :)

I currently have 2x B&W 685's (series 1) in my 1 bed flat powered by an old Onkyo amp that I will be getting shot of.

The new place has a living room measuring 17'x11. I will be buying and wall mounting a 65" Panny, the VT65 (probably for another thread). But what I am stumped on is the speaker set up. Initially I was going to buy a pair of 684's and a B&W centre + sub and use my 685's for rears. But I think these will be too big as rears.

So now I am looking at at Monitor R90's and buying a B&W centre to match the existing 685's.

Getting to the point, I would love some advice on:

1 - What rear speakers should I be looking at? I think I will go for small wall mounted satellite type
    2 - Do I need a sub? If so, buying a B&W sub is a waste of money right?
    3 - I haven't even started on the AMP yet...I want something to power the above setup and have Airplay capability. I'm not worried about 4k TV.

Budget for all of this...£2000 not including TV or existing 685's. I have got a quote for installing all of this already....£400 from Master AV services.

Thanks!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    There's no reason why you cannot use the 685 speakers to the rear. The 685 are in fact what were usually included as rears with many of B&W's 5.1 packages, typically with 684 speakers up front.

3. W4SPY

W4SPY
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You think these can be mounted on the wall OK? Thought they might look a bit odd as they are fairly big...

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
  5. W4SPY

W4SPY
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They look amazing! :) Thanks!

684's on the front then. I'm not sure about the sub though. The sub can be generic right?

I'm looking at the Yamaha RX series amps too but am not sure which I will be going for yet. I have been warned off Onkyo going forward. Any views on that?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048
    The sub doesn't have to be a B&W sub or be from the same B&W range as the other speakers.

The Yamaha RXV1073 is a good option for the money it sells for:
    Yamaha RX-V1073

It is basically an RXA1020 without the anti resonance features associated with the Yamaha Adventage receivers. More here:
    Any Yamaha RX-V1073 owners? | AVForums

I'm no fan of Onkyo.

What kind of money were you thinking of spending on the AV receiver?

7. W4SPY

W4SPY
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It will depend on whether I keep the 685's as fronts and buy something like the Focal Sib's for the rears...which is one option.

I do like the 685's as a rear but wonder if I am just wasting money. The 685's on the front with a matching centre and those sibs in the corners behind would be OK I think. Need to hear them though!

The AV receiver needs to be no more than £1000 regardless. The 1020 is available for £650 online! We might have a winner!

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,048

From Exceptional? I'd give them a bell before getting your hopes up. Exceptional are reknowned for advertising items at lower than expected prices and not actually having the items in stock. They wait until you order an item and then contact you telling you the item is out of stock and suggest an alternative. Some customers even report that money was taken from their accounts before goods were dispatched and even though the goods they ordered weren't in stock. Ring them first before you order.

The RXA1020 sells for £1000 everywhere else, hence why the RXV1073 is such a good deal.

9. W4SPY

W4SPY
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :) ah....thanks for the warning! I'm off to sort the TV out at the weekend so I'll try and get my lugs round these amps too. I will probably not be buying anything for another month or so as the move isn't until May.

Feels like I'm almost there! Appreciate the advice mate!