1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New set up advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LondonPaul, Mar 19, 2005.

1. LondonPaul

LondonPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All long time reader first time post.
    Need advise on the following.
    Currently have Grundig digi STB, Cyberhome multi region DVD player and LG VCR all going into a Manhattan LCD tv. Now I want to reduce the kit so was thinking of getting the Sony 500 DVDR with built in Freeview. However looking at other threads, it seems that if I want to watch one channel while recording another I cannot do this vis the Sony. Is this correct? Also my apartment block is having the old analogue TV system upgraded to Sat. All the 5 terrestial will be available with the Sky as an option via a separate socket. I will proberbly sign up for sky so does that muddy the waters still? Is the alternative to go for a Panny DVD recorder, keep the STB and add the sky box?
    Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is driving me nuts....

thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    With any DVD recorder you will only be able to record one channel at a time - although most models will allow you to watch another already recorded programme on that disc or (if applicable) the machine's HDD.

Take a look at the 'Which DVD Recorder?' link in my signature for guidance on DVD recorders!

3. LondonPaul

LondonPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak
    Thanks will read your link shortly. I am not fussed about recording 2 programmes at the same time but am confused if, by using the Sony box as it is a digital tuner that I cannot watch for instance BBC1 while recording BBC3 (this is the impression I am getting from the other threads.) Also... does this become totaly irrelevant if I am signing up for the normal sky service (not +). Do I then go out and get an decent Panny?
    cheers
    Paul