• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New series of Red Dwarf

brian s

Distinguished Member
A new series of six episodes has been ordered by the channel Dave following the "success" of Back To Earth. They are to be recorded before a studio audience.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Success?

I actually thought the last series was dire, even though I'm a massive fan.

It should be allowed to die gracefully imo :(

Razor

Distinguished Member
Great news. I love Red Dwarf and hope the new series is better than their Back To Earth special. :thumbsup:

brian s

Distinguished Member
Great news. I love Red Dwarf and hope the new series is better than their Back To Earth special. :thumbsup:

I think the lack of an audience was a real problem for the last one. Lets hope the audience on this one will be a huge help.

All the best
Bri

Razor

Distinguished Member
Good luck with that :rolleyes:

You have lost me mate?

I think the lack of an audience was a real problem for the last one. Lets hope the audience on this one will be a huge help.

All the best
Bri

I just thought the Back to Earth wasn't that funny. The first part was ok but the next 2 parts were weak. Overall I was disappointed. :(

ants97

All the best
Bri

I think the lack of any funny material was a real problem for the last one, having a load of drunk sci fi geeks laughing their head of at nothing but a guy at the side of the stage with "laughter" cue cards won't help it one bit.

should be left to die while it still has a fair degree of respect.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Not according to Dave...

The latest rumblings about Red Dwarf.

Dear fellow Dwarf fans! You like us, may have been delighted by the slew of stories over the weekend suggesting that Dave has indeed commissioned a brand new series of Red Dwarf.

Well, I am afraid that at the moment this is pure, although delightful, speculation. But, rest assured, if there is any news, any news at all!! You will hear about it on joindave.co.uk first!

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Lets hope they can recapture what they have lost.

I'm all for a good series.

But lets face it, even if this next series is a stroke of pure genius, there will be people that hate it.

Razor

Distinguished Member
I think the chances of this being any good are about as remote as Lister developing a sudden interest in crochet. ;)

Oh I see what you mean. :)

brian s

Distinguished Member
Not according to Dave...

I just found this on Robert Llewellyn' twitter.

"Want to re-state that UKTV, aka Dave have commissioned Doug Naylor to write scripts, still a long way to go before it's all official."

It would seem the intention is there.

Bri

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

If they make it I'll give it a go. If it's as dire as Back To Earth I won't be watching for long

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'm praying that they do a good job but not holding my breath. The Back To Earth special was very poor imo, so disappointing.

jreed110

I think the lack of any funny material was a real problem for the last one, having a load of drunk sci fi geeks laughing their head of at nothing but a guy at the side of the stage with "laughter" cue cards won't help it one bit.

should be left to die while it still has a fair degree of respect.

Completely agree with this, Red Dwarf first started to go downhill when they brought out the canned laughter from an audience, it just sounded fake. None of the early series' had an audience and they were the best ones.

krish

Distinguished Member
None of the early series' had an audience and they were the best ones.
I'm pretty sure every series had a live audience + laughter apart from Red Dwarf VII which was "filmised" and dropped the audience, which didn't go down too well so the next and final series VIII restored the live audience and normal shooting style

neroon

God I hope it does return. Back to Earth was better than most UK comedies so yes I'd love to see RD return. I'm sure now everyone involved is back they'll soon find their groove.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
Back to Earth was better for me than series 7 or 8. Mainly because to begin with they had a more Series 1/2 feel in respect to more talking going on at first. I found RD so much fun because of the well scripted routines and the simple use of sets. Once Series 3 began, it started to become a little too fantastical. I did love Series 3, but by 4 I was beginning to find episodes I didnt enjoy as much, 5 carried the same theme, 6 more so, 7 abysmal and 8 atrocious. I love the dwarf, but I started with 1 and 2 and also read the books. Once they swapped clever chatter for sets and planets it lost its original charm and wasnt replaced with anything special.

I'd like to see a comeback but only if they stick with the chatter.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Back to Earth was better for me than series 7 or 8.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that :) I still enjoy watching Series 8 over and over and I've not once had the urge to try and watch any of the back to earth again. The 2nd episode of back to earth wasn't too bad, but I thought the other 2 were just plain awful.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
I agree, I've watched season 8 recently and really enjoyed it. However, I've not watched season 7 since it first aired, which I recall not liking much. But I might give it a go out of curiosity.

A new series will be welcome if it follows season 8 and is set in space. Back to Earth had some good ideas and was good to see the cast still on form, which is why I think a proper series could work. But the Coronation street, Blade runner and Dave channel references made it look not much more than a red nose special.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
But the Coronation street, Blade runner and Dave channel references made it look not much more than a red nose special.

Yes that's what I thought. I also thought that it didn't work so well being back on Earth in familiar surroundings, it was just to real for me. I'd prefer it to be back out in space with no reference to current affairs.

Heckler

Standard Member
A new series of six episodes has been ordered by the channel Dave following the "success" of Back To Earth. They are to be recorded before a studio audience.

Success... BTE was a total, a total... a word has yet to be invented to describe what it was, but it was that... a total one.

As a huge Red Dwarf fan from the very start in 88, as a member of the alt.tv.reddwarf newsgroup in the 90's... I loved the show up until Rob Grant and Doug Naylor split... From that moment on I knew that the show was doomed. Grant Naylor always described themselves as a gestalt entity... the whole was far greater than the sum of it's parts (nicely summed up in Legion). Never was a description so accurate. I've read their books written solo, both for RD and other projects. I've watched TV shows they've made... new RD, The Strangerers and some millennium show in 99 that I can't remember the name of.

All of them were dire, bilge, utter crap.

BTE was about as low as you can go... it's only success was to convince me that the show is dead and should be left to rot after killing the memories and enjoyment of those that grew up and laughed so hard at the good shows.

I bought all the DVD's... yes even S7-8 but I will not touch BTE if my life depended on it, nor will I ever suffer through another attempt to revive this dead horse.

I hope that some of the cast will at least have the common sense to get out before it kills their careers of for good.

As for Doug Naylor... You should be ashamed of yourself for allowing this twoddle to pollute the airwaves.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I take it you're not keen then, Heckler? :D

Fwiw, I totally agree.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom