new separates av system advice required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by theYman, Nov 1, 2005.

1. theYman

theYman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I am very new to the hi-fi separates world and require some advice.

I am mainly in it for the music but believe that, for my requirements and uses, I can use an AV receiver and can get the best of both worlds (i.e. For films as well).

On this basis, I plan to buy the following;

- CA 540c AV Receiver (I played with my friend’s and I liked it)
    - 5 X Sony speakers - (http://ws2.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-SFCR500H)
    - The new CA music server

Is the above likely to be okay?

Does anybody have any views on the music server of speakers???

Really appreciate anyone’s comments as I don’t know what I’m up to.

Rob

2. koshatnik

koshatnik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Music doesn't sound that great in surround. Its not mixed or recorded for that. You could set up some kinda switch to cut out the surrounds when you want to listen to music, but personally, if you are mainly building a system for music, then invest in some decent audio gear and play your movies through that. Or have 2 systems :)

3. theYman

theYman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - i had it in mid that i would just run the music through the front 2 speakers

4. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    a lot of music dvd's are in 5.1 surround ( live concerts ) and they do benefit from it so i wouldn't dismiss the idea
    usually most amps will default to 2.1 channels for music if there is no suround track i say 2.1 because the sub is usually active ( working )
    i have a surround setup in the bedroom with a seperate cd player attached to play audio and it sounds half decent
    if there's a chance to listen before you buy ( some richer sounds have demo rooms ) i would