new self build or off the shelf custom. Help me decide.

ozzpoz

Novice Member
Reaction score
Can you have a look at these 2 custom pcs . The 1st is a prebuilt and it's £1499. I'm happy with it for the most part but would prefer a MSI board and gigabyte GPU . But it's hassle free and I don't need to build it. The 2nd I've spec'd with parts I like but it would be my 1st self build.

Scan

2070 super

I'm not to worried building myself. It will be my first build. Any advise welcome. Thanks

It seems like you've made a sturdier build cheaper, but could use the SSD from the premade build and maybe get some sort of cooler (preferably liquid one) if you have plans to overclock your 3700X.

It seems like you've made a sturdier build cheaper, but could use the SSD from the premade build and maybe get some sort of cooler (preferably liquid one) if you have plans to overclock your 3700X.
Hi. I'm not sure I understand or maybe you've got them mixed up. The prebuild one has the Corsair AiO and is the cheaper option. The one I would have to build from parts I've put together is the slightly more expensive one and I'd be using the stock prism cooler. ( The link 2070 is self build )

I used to build my own but in the last 5 years or so the customised build market has come into its own.

There is little cost saving to self-build, and you don't benefit from a whole system warranty or support. Unless you enjoy the hobby, I'd always recommend a customised build from a reputable builder.

I used Cyberpower and am very happy I did.

I think the two big questions are whether you plan on overclocking and how willing you are to spend that extra bit of money. I've always built my own PCs because it was cheaper, but I don't think that applies here because that pre-built PC is already cheaper and comes with a copy of Windows 10.

If you aren't planning on overclocking (which I hear isn't great with the Ryzen 3000 series), then you could honestly drop a couple of those fans in the custom build and save a bit. I know people who have bought Windows keys from those questionably legit Ebay sellers for dirt cheap and they've never had any issues. Getting rid of a fan or two from that build could offset the cost of Windows 10 if you chose to go down that route.

I enjoy building PCs so that's always part of my consideration, but if a pre-built system is cheaper and you didn't care about whether you put it together yourself or not then that very well might be the better option.

I used to build my own but in the last 5 years or so the customised build market has come into its own.

There is little cost saving to self-build, and you don't benefit from a whole system warranty or support. Unless you enjoy the hobby, I'd always recommend a customised build from a reputable builder.

I bought pretty much everything I needed on Prime Day from multiple retailers and saved over £500 on what the big PC builders were charging. I spent £1500 and some of them wanted nearly £2200 for it.

Even outwith special deals you can see some of them really gouge prices on certain items.

As to your builds. You could get a founders edition 2070 Super and save a bit there. Unlike previous blower reference cards the FE is good and cools well as it's not a blower.
As liquidsoap89 above says you can get Windows 10 for under £3 on ebay and if you don't want to go that "illegitimate" then you can get it for ~£20 on the grey market.

Amazon has a week of "Summer Sale" deals on just now so I'd be paying attention to prices on there and seeing who's competing. So far though, compared to Prime Day, I'm not very impressed.

My build is very similar to yours with a 3700x cooled by an AIO and an RTX 2070 Super card..

Can you have a look at these 2 custom pcs . The 1st is a prebuilt and it's £1499. I'm happy with it for the most part but would prefer a MSI board and gigabyte GPU . But it's hassle free and I don't need to build it. The 2nd I've spec'd with parts I like but it would be my 1st self build.

Scan

2070 super

I'm not to worried building myself. It will be my first build. Any advise welcome. Thanks

I personally think the sweetspot is a 3600/2070S.
What monitor are you using? (dictates GPU/CPU reccomendations).
What sound?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom