1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new secondhand sub...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rozzar, Apr 24, 2005.

1. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    ok, i had a Ruark logrhythm subwoofer. Thats gone- it was ok but after i heard a friend's SVS PC Ultra it was clear it was past it's sell-by-date.

I don't listen/watch movies at all. The speakers will be standmounts to complement it.

Budget is £300-350 secondhand.

What would you think:
    MJ A Ref 1 (mk1)
    REL Storm 2
    REL Strata 3
    REL Q400
    Mordaunt Short 909
    SVS's are out of my price band as far as I know- don't want to go passive route.

Any more suggestions welcomed. Only determining factor is that it has to have stereo RCA ins from the preouts of my preamp. Colour/size/manufacturer doesn't matter.

Thanks

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Don't overlook the BK XLS200, it certainly wasn't embaressed by the MS909 at the Budget Sub Test and has many other nice aspects.

I don't see that any of the subs you're mentioning are any better than the Ruark though? Did you have it set up well and EQ'd?

3. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    it wasn't eq-d. was setup as well i could do it. It was the mk1 (100w) version too so couldn't help but feel that it ran out of steam eventually

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I've had both a Storm mark 1 and a mark 3 and they were exceptionally good subs for those who place music high on their priorities as they have flexibility in connection and setup options and can keep up with a complex bass line better than some that are more optimised for crash bang wallop.

I heard the MS 909 at Bristol in 2004 and was impressed enough to praise it in my show review despite the awful conditions under which it was operating.

I hope that you tell WM and the other cynics elsewhere just how good the SVS was :)

5. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i have indeed told WM how good the SVS was and of course his Meadowlarks go deep enough that he doesn't need one. Plus they're not that pretty are there, lets face it ;)

So it seems that MJA are out of fashion now and REL are back in now are they? And its a Storm rather than the cheaper Strata that I should be looking for?

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't heard the latest MJA subs but I am put off somewhat by the spurious claims that they make for how deep they can go and the fact that their most enthusiastic product reviews on this forum comes from someone bearing a remarkable similarity to one of their directors.

I had REL Storms for a couple of years and found them exceptionally good with music and they will go louder and deeper than the Strata but not a patch on my SVS which is the model below the PC Ultra that you heard.

PS - I heard the Meadowlarks at Bristol and they produced the best sounds that I heard at the show but as you say they are big and ugly.