1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new/secondhand? help me

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by phillfyspoon, Mar 6, 2005.

1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have decided to "upgrade" my denon 3805. using the search I have found that a good secondhand power amp is the way to go with alot of people saying a good parasound is better then the rotel offerings.

but I can not find a answer on the processor. do I get the new rotel 1068 processor or go secondhand. I have read the 3805 or 1068 has better processing then older lexicon, meridain etc but no conclusive answer. my budget for the combo is around £1700 any views would be gratefull.

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Philly,

In the short term, I would use the 3805 as the pre/pro.

As you said there is no definitive answer. It all depends on what you are intending to achieve by the upgrade.

IMHO, of course.

Cheers

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    I agree, the processing on modern AV receivers is very good compared to some of the old higher end processors and has the added advantage of having the latest processing such as DTS-ES/DD-Ex/DPL2x.
    Upgrading to external amps for just the front L/C/R speakers will allow more headroom for the surrounds via the onboard amps. If you can get a 6 channel amp then you can biamp the front 3 for best results (as long as your speakers can be biamped of course) and should be able to do this well within budget.

Mark.

4. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I was looking to sell the 3805. has anyone has any experiance with the rotel 1068 processor looks good.

5. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    IMHO, I would still use the 3805 as the pre/pro, and add a power amp. You should be able to find a suitable power amp with the reduced budget (I am assuming that the sale price of the 3805 is included in your upgrade budget). I don’t think it is an upgrade to move from the pre/pro of the 3805 to the 1068, but more a move sideways.

While I have gone the separate route, I didn’t notice any discernable difference in processing between the pre-amp sections of the Denon, Marantz, and Yamaha candidates, to the Rotel and what I eventually chose. What I did notice was the control and dynamics provided by a dedicated power amp.

I did audition the Rotel RSP-1068 and would have been very happy with it. However, I found this behemoth of a power amp (http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_a965.html) that I prefer to the Rotel equivalent.

The price quoted on the deal with the matching pre-amp (http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_p965.html) made it a no-brainer for me.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record, as I seem to be continually recommending Sherwood. But I do think that anyone considering the Rotel combo should also audition this

6. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    that sherwood amp looks impressive but where would i buy one in the uk?

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Sherwood in UK = Richer Sounds :rolleyes:

Mark.

8. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    RS dont do anything that high-end. they used to do cheap sherwood av-amps but none on there website now. Done a search cant find anywhere.

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    But RS are the UK distributers for Sherwood. If they don't sell them then AFAIK they are not available in the UK.

Mark.

10. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry, I not based in the UK (I am in Australia). But I have seen something about UK a distributor. I will see if I can find it.

11. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sorry Philly, I too have searched the internet and couldn’t find a UK dealer or distributor.
    And in my search, I couldn’t find the distributor/dealer here either. Though, I swear the website has changed recently and it did have access to overseas distributors.

I also associated Sherwood at the low-end of the AV spectrum. But was pleasantly surprised with what I heard. The power amp alone weighs 32kg, and the processor is 12kg.

Oh well, I will not mention Sherwood Newcastle again if no-one sells them in merry old England. Apologies for wasting your time.