New SD card showed 2 gig then i formatted it....

jonnyv

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just received a 2 gig SD card, bought for when i go on holiday in a couple of months.

Put card in camera and it read that it was just short of 2 gig, then i remember the instruction book stating its best to format a memory card, so i did...

Now it showing as just under 1gig!

Im guessing my Ixus II camera wasnt expectionf there to be a 2 gig memory card.

Can i get someone else to reformat it and will that give me the 2 gig back ?

thanks

jonnyv said:
Just received a 2 gig SD card, bought for when i go on holiday in a couple of months.

Put card in camera and it read that it was just short of 2 gig, then i remember the instruction book stating its best to format a memory card, so i did...

Now it showing as just under 1gig!

Im guessing my Ixus II camera wasnt expectionf there to be a 2 gig memory card.

Can i get someone else to reformat it and will that give me the 2 gig back ?

thanks

May be the limitations of the camera in that it can only format to 1Gb. Do you have a crad reader? If so format it in that and see if the camera writes past the 1Gb point without corruption.

Might be worth a look on Google etc [the Ixus II is also called SD100] for card limitations.

Thanks for the quick reply. I dont have a card reader but may know someone who has one. will format it and see what happens.

thanks

Just bought a card reader and tried to format the card in it. It shows up as 1 gig and wont seem to format to full size.

Can anyone help!?

thanks

no it doesnt have a switch, just the lock switch.

It started off as a 2gig card then i formatted it in my ixus II and it showed as 1gig, so i bought a card reader to format it back to 2 gig and it wont work.

can anyone help?

Is there a switch of any type on it (apart from the lock switch)

I have heard of some memory cards having a switch on that reduces the capacity, not sure if this was on compact flash cards though.

edit: just seen your other post........ignore me!

stevegreen said:
Is there a switch of any type on it (apart from the lock switch)

I have heard of some memory cards having a switch on that reduces the capacity, not sure if this was on compact flash cards though.

edit: just seen your other post........ignore me!

no, no switch on the card

Check the camera has the latest firmware (2.0.1?) & update if necessary.

However, this firmware is quite old & may well still be stumped by a 2Gb card.

crocodile said:
Check the camera has the latest firmware (2.0.1?) & update if necessary.

However, this firmware is quite old & may well still be stumped by a 2Gb card.

Yes camera has latest firmware. it formatted the card so now its a one gig card with another gig unallocated, im just trying to delete the partition now in 'disk management' in windows.

thanks

There's a fix for the same problem with Ritek cards here. Maybe worth a try but may also kill the card completely. I guess you can always return it for replacement if the worst happens.

May be better to exchange it for 2 x 1Gb anyway if the camera isn't 100% happy. Yo don't want to get back from holiday & find a corrupted 2Gb card.

Edit
This page says 2Gb IS compatible with the Ixus II.

Thanks for the advice, i have tried the ritek prog but no joy. I think once the camera formated a one gig partition that was the end of the 2 gig card.
ive tried to delete the partition but having no luck.

i could buy 2x 1 gig cards or i could get a ixus 60 instead !?

thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom