1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Screens Due Soon?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nokiaman, Apr 6, 2005.

1. nokiaman

nokiaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am going to be buying an LCD screen (sonyKLVL23M1 or Pany TX23LXD50)
    at the end of this month and just want to know is there any new screens on the way from the likes of Sony? Pany or any other good manufactor?

I'm only looking for 23" screens but maybe upto 26 and for around £1k

2. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What about the Dell TVs which are 25% off until the 27th of this month. 19" for £449 and the 26" for £799. Anyone have any views on these?

3. crazyswede

crazyswede
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    No!

6. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Shame, could you please explain what it is missing for HDTV?

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "There's a lot to say about the W2600, but before I get into the detail let me say that this is the best LCD TV that I've ever seen."

I'm afraid he has not seen many LCD TVs...
    Also note that this is a 15:9 screen, not 16:9.

8. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I am a fan of Panasonic, however, the connectivity on the latest 50 series is woeful. If you want a well connected Panny then you will have to wait until July i.e. 500 series, but don't expect it to be cheap.

9. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks for the heads up. I did a bit more reading round and found this review of 26" LCDs in which there is objective testing. The W2600 does not rate highest, rather the Samsung LW26A33W is best rated. That can be bought for around the same price (£800) from ebuyer.com including delivery and VAT.

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It says that it is HD ready, but the specs indicate that the DVI socket has no HDCP protocol. ie, it is for PC use only. You can, however input HD signals via Component, but this will not allow you full use of Sky's HD transmissions. Sky will transmit some DiDef over component, but this is liable to be restricted and, perhaps, short-lived.

Going back to the 'trusted' review.....'the best LCD I've ever seen....' Hmm....this may be true, but merely hints that this particular reviewer hasn't seen many! Poor Contrast Ratio (500:1) slow Pixel Response (25ms). Doesn't point to a brilliant TV.

However, it IS reasonably value (£800) and is of acceptable quality at this price....there are other much cheaper sets around though...

Jimmy

11. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Many thanks for your response. What do you think of the Samsung then (see previous post)? Is HDTV only likely through Sky? I'm with ntl so maybe my concern for having HDTV compliance is irrelevant for the moment.

12. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    HD when it comes along from SKY (first), NTL, HD-DVD, etc will all require a HDMI or DVI-HDCP input to be able to display protected HD material, this is determined by the content producer not the broadcaster.
    SKY will output over component, but this will be analogue and almost certainly SD to enable you to record, etc.

13. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 26" sector is a bit tricky as the big LCD manufacturers are not throwing the latest technology at it.

The Samsung may have done well in the American test, but they have not got a very good reputation over here yet. They tend to have slightly messy processing and don't make a particularly good job of cleaning up iffy signals. It is also a bit unwise to trust American reviews as the specs of US TV's are often very different from UK sets.

Your best bet would be the 26" Sharp if you can find one. It has been very well recieved my many testers and purchasers.

Jimmy

14. markp

markp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Does it matter which 26" Sharp? There are the Aquos LC-26GA5E and Aquos LC-26GA3E to choose from. The latter is a bit outside my price range at nearly £1000. The 5E is around £750 and cheaper than my previous choices. And I thought my mind was made up yesterday :rolleyes:

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As I understand it the GA5E is very much the poor cousin to the GA3E. It has no HiDef facilities and generally poorer connectivity. PQ should be the same with standard interfaces....

Send a Private Message to 'jimg' if you want. He's the Sharp man! He'll give you the ins and outs of these Sharp models better than I...

Jimmy

16. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As Jimsan says the GA5 is a reduced functionality version of the GA3 and GA4. The GA5 does not have DVI and so will not work with future Hi-def, it does not have a swivel stand and has fixed speakers. It does have a radio tuner though! The screen and the electronics are the same i.e. "G" series, the 3,4,5 denote type and position of speakers. There will be new screens from both Philips and Sharp in the summer and this may drive down prices of existing models very soon, assuming there is stock left of course!

17. gslater

gslater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I purchased the LG26GA3E last week for £1035....needed to be HD ready so I didn't consider the GA5E.

Result: I am extremely happy with the PQ...initially a bit disappointed but then I was able to get RGB signal out of my sky box which made a huge difference....now it is awesome.

Go for the GA3E you will not be disappointed