New Screenplay PJ's

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by andyturner28, Mar 18, 2006.

1. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know anything about the new range of PJ's from Infocus. I am considering selling my 5700 and getting the £1600 720p model. Is it as good bearing in mind it is cheaper.

Cheers

Andy

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Infocus have said themselves that the new range is aimed more at the 'lifestyle' market as opposed to the critical Home Cinema fraternity. They have said that based purely on performance, the Screenplay 7210 is better than the In76 (top spec new model). So it's up to you what you want. Pure performance or appealing looks with very good performance.

3. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if they are out yet as i am quite interested in the IN76. I have never been completely happy with my 5700 as motion is not entirely smooth and slow paning shots are quite jerky. The contrast looks better on the IN76 at 3000:1 and it is HD ready which mine isn't. I could have kicked myself when Sky announced it's HD service a couple of months after i got the 5700 as HD wasn't that important at the time.

The 7210 is out of my price range and i can't think of any other DLP PJ's that are HD ready for under £1800 which have as good a picture, which is my budget as i am hoping to get about £1000 for my 5700.

Has anyone seen screen shots of the IN76?

Cheers

Andy

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    HifiBitz are advertising the N76 for sale now @ £1695 (see: http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=5287 ) If your 5700 is appearing 'jerky' on panning and movement, i would say that the cause may be your DVD player and not the projector. Are you sending the signal to the pj interlaced or progressive? The Faroudja de-interlacer in the Infocus is one of the best you can get and you should not be getting jerkiness on it if the signal from your DVD player is sent interlaced. Also, check that you are outputting NTSC as pure NTSC on your DVD player as sending NTSC as PAL60 can cause jerkiness on images.
    Have a look at my review of the Mitsubishi HC3000 in the projector section of this forum. It has a superb image and can be had for around the same price as the infocus. I'm not saying you should buy the Mitsubishi but it is another option to consider as is the Optoma H72i which is getting rave reviews.

5. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

All my dvd's are PAL and i mostly watch DVD's on a HTPC, but have tried 2 other DVD players and Sky dose it as well.
    I think via the HTPC the signal is progressive as in the "adjust screen resolution" advanced timing page the interlaced mode box is unchequed. I had been using powerstrip untill i reinstalled a couple of weeks ago but now when powerstrip is running i can't get a picture on my PJ. Any ideas about that one?
    The DVD players are a couple of centries old now so i might get the new Samsung, DV925 i think (The new one with HDMI) before switching PJ's.
    My hunch is that it could be the power supply in my room so have been looking around for mains conditioners. Have you got any recomendations for these?
    Having said that i compared mine to the one in the shop i got it from in their demo room and that was the same, so i don't know. If any 5700 owners are reading this i would be gratefull for your views.
    I still like the sound of the IN76 though, i have been reading all about it on the Infocus website while i was bored out of my mind at work. I have heard good things about the Optima but dosn't that cost about £3000 though.

Cheers

Andy.

6. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I think you're thinking of the H79, the H72i is only £1500 or less (see: http://www.audiovisiononline.co.uk/...ogle.co.uk%2Fsearch?hl=en&q=optoma+h72i&meta= ).
    That surprises me about the jerkiness on motion with the 5700. I would tick the 'interlaced' box on your HTPC and see if that helps at all.

7. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No that didn't work. The PJ would not even accept an interlased signal. Fiddling around in there i finally got it to accept the correct resolution though. Thats another reason i want an HD ready PJ because getting the PC and PJ to think 1024/576 has been a nightmare.

All that was academic though as it is still jerky with Sky as well. I think my next purchase has to be a mains conditioner as everyone else with a 5700 on this forum is exstatic with their picture quality, and as it happens on 4 different scources it has to be either the power supply or the PJ.

Cheers

Andy.

8. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    I would try it in another part of the house before you shell out.Could be a waste of cash. I have a infocus 7200 and never had this also a local pub has a infocus projector and it plays sky fine.Are you using good cables what firmware does it have might need updating.I have also seen a 5700 on demo and it was fine..strange :confused:

9. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using an Infocus M1-DVI lead and a 3m Femail-male DVI extention cable from Bleustream audio for the PC, and Vivanco gold plated scart lead for Sky.

It was originally used in my bedroom next door untill it was moved into my sisters old bedroom after she moved out, which i have converted into a cinema room, and it did it in there as well. This is also my 2nd 5700, the first being replaced after 3 weeks due to a rattleing noise and that did it as well.

My Dad's Samsung plasma also has a jerky picture which i have always put down to the display itself but i am wondering if the power supply throughout the house might be crap. Or i could just be talking crap, I don't know!!
    I think i am just going to have to try a mains conditioner and see what happens. There was a 3 stage one in the powerbuys a while ago for £129 which is not too much. If that has no effect i can always send it back. Then i would be back to square one, do i change the PJ, get a new DVD player which probably won't make any difference over the HTPC or just make do with a picture that i am not 100% sataisfied with? But i am not a make do kind of guy.

To update the firmware do you have to install any software as i tried pluging the USB cable in before and the PC didn't recognise it? I might as well give that a go.

Cheers

Andy.

P.S. The firmware is version 1.7

10. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Out of curiosity, how are you feeding a scart to the Infocus? The 5700 does not have a scart input does it?

11. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It comes with an adapter to accept scart leads.

12. throwit

throwit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14

my infocus has a fancy button pressing-plugging in-unplugging-button pressing shenanigans type thing to go through for firmware update, your firmware download file/readme or download page should be able to talk you through it

13. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    I gotta get me one of them!!! Is it an M1-DA to Scart adapter?

14. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Just for the record, never had any sign of jerkiness or any other distraction with my 5700. Just hangs off the ceiling and does what its meant to do :thumbsup:

15. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yup, thats the one

16. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has got to be the power supply then. Both the cables are of fairly high quality and not too long, 3m for scart and 5m for DVI.

I don't really want to change the PJ as the picture is actually really good, and it can take HD signals, but this fault drives me mad. I will get a USB extention tomorrow and give the firmware upgrade a go.

Cheers

Andy

17. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I was under the impression the adapters supplied by InFocus were SCART to D5 adapters not SCART to M1-DA adapters. If you can get SCART to M1-DA adapters please could you tell me where you purchased it from, as I may require one.:smashin:

18. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I stand corrected:oops: Sorry, it is scart to D5

19. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I’ve just upgraded the 5700 to a 7210 and am extremely happy with the new PJ.
    The only jerkiness I ever noticed on the 5700 is with very fast panning motion, mainly on SKY via S Video or Component Video (via a converter). The typical shot is a football match where the camera zooms in to a player, but also shows the crowd moving rapidly left to right or right to left. In these sorts of shot, I see blackened blotches on the darker crowd. Its very rare you get this sort of scene IMO and its never been a distraction just a minor observation. Mainly the 5700 sat there and did its job spectacularly well. I upgraded from a Sony HS10 and was exstatic with the improvement. 2 and half years later though, I wanted to see my Xbox 360 in HD!

I don’t believe a power filter will fix your problem unfortunately. If you can test this free then fine, but I would say it sounds like the source or cabling to me. I’ve never seen/heard any difference whatsoever when using power filters. The biggest improvement I think you can really make to power is to have a dedicated socket installed by an electrician which has no other equipment attached. BTW – Do you see a difference depending on the time of day?
    Read this article on the subject of mains power (and HI FI cables). I use the plug it refers to, but I honestly can’t say I’ve noticed any difference.
    http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/mains_e.html

BTW – I purchased the 7210 from Luzerrntech on Ebay for £2K. Saving £1.5K over the RRP was too much of a temptation. It arrived next day from Ireland in pefect condition. I believe its refurbished, but it is brand spanking new from what I can tell. The difference over the 5700 is very distinct. It’s massively brighter and the contrast is simply breathtaking.
    I think the 5700 does a better job with Sky+ though, as I can really see lots of pixilation now as the 7210 picture is so much more detailed using a component video converter. You’re almost forced to use S Video in order to smooth out the pixilation, but this looses some of the colour saturation. I’m really nit-picking to be frank!
    On a good DVD source, what can I say? Simply amazing. Yes, simply amazing.
    If you feed it a 720p Xbox 360 signal via component, you’ll probably be typing in a forum post at 5am the following morning as you’ll never have seen anything quite so spectacular in all your life.

I can’t say how the 7210 matches up against other projectors people are recommending in other threads, but in my set up because the chassis of the 7210 is identical to the 5700, I didn’t have to worry about cables or installing a new ceiling mount. It took me 2 minutes to have the 7210 ceiling mounted and fired up and of course the 5700 fits straight back in to the 7210’s box. Additionally, I know all of the menus and so haven’t needed to mess around with reading the manual or anything as pointless as that :)

20. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi Reggs.

My problem is exactly as you describbed but i seem to notice it all the time and in moste films. the worst one is in Attack of the clones when O B won sees the clone army for the first time. when they are walking down the corridoor and the camera pans round to the left the entire background shudders. And it dose it the same irrespective of what time of day it is. Did you notice it at all through DVI.
    I have decided to try a new DVD player (Denon 1920) and see if that makes any difference. If it still dose it then i might sell the 5700 and get an Optoma H27 as that seems to be very highly reguarded on this forum.
    Have you sold your 5700 yet, if so how much did it go for?

Cheers

Andy

21. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If that’s the problem, then I see it on any of my DVD's that have a dark fast moving background. These are all via S Video or Component Video. It never lasts for more then a second though, due to the nature of this kind of shot, so it never really bothered me.
    I don't have a DVD player hooked up via DVI anymore, but I do recall that DVD via my HTPC had the same problem. The software I was using was Theatertek + various resolution matching applications.

Personally, I couldn't see any improvement in overall DVD quality with a high end HTPC and a decent software player, so eventually binned it off for a Sony 301 disk DVD player with component and progressive output. Others may see a difference, but I couldn’t and got sick of all of the messing about with the PC config and XP going through various fits of instability.
    Now its just a case of fire it all up, open a beer and enjoy - Like it should be :)

I'll put my 5700 on Ebay in the next few days. Unfortunately it has a white flash problem that I've enquired about in another thread. Without a new bulb I'd expect to get £400 - £600. I'll offer the new unused bulb at £290 (£20 - £60 pounds less than retail and the buyer can decide if they want it or not). The 5700 could have up to 1000 hours left on the original bulb but obviously I couldn't guarantee it. The same bulb is used in the 5700 and 7210 so I'm not fussed about selling that.

22. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just looked on the firmware page on the Infocus.com website and discovered it can run at 50hz and the recent upgrade fixes issues with 720p 50hz. Did you have this upgrade on your 5700 and if so what effect did it have?
    Only problem now is that to get the upgrade i have to remove a shelf from under the pj, then remove the pj which i spent 2 hours getting in JUST the right position last weekend to get the bloody searial no. Why do they put it on the bottom!! AAAGGGG!

Cheers

Andy

23. reggs

reggs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    SP 5700 came installed with version 1.7 and I never bothered upgrading it as I didn't have the upgrade cable (until now). For some reason my 7210 serial number won't register correctly on the Infocus Website. I've sent an enquiry off but had no answer as yet.

If anyone has the latest firmware for thier 7210, its v1.2 any chance of uploading it here :lease:

24. andyturner28

andyturner28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted.

I upgraded the firmware and bought a new DVI lead and that has cured virtually all of the jerkiness. I also set my PC to 1280/720 at 50hz. Although this is not 1:1 pixel mapped when watching DVD's the picture is great. I just change it to 1024/576 when i use it as a monitor.

I also bought a new QED 1.5m scart cable and mounted the Digibox on the shelf under the PJ and this has made a big difference as well.

So after nearly a year of ownership i am finally happy with it. Wish i tried all that sooner.

Cheers

Andy