New screen

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cimoss, Jul 27, 2004.

1. cimoss

cimoss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

my beloved three year old has decided to 'bob the builder paint and fix' my tosh 42wh36 resulting in a crack down the centre of the screen and blobs of felt tip pen all over it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Anybody got a lead to where I could purchase a replacement screen to fit myself?

Or is the only option to use a Toshiba service engineer......

cheers

chris

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Cimoss,

Welcome to the Forum (even under these circumstances!). :rolleyes:

Are you aware that changing the screen involves much more than its physical replacement?

There'll be a lot of lining up to do before you get a viewable picture.

If you aren't confident to do this, then I'm afraid it's technician time. :thumbsdow

Also, and I know it's a bit late, with a 3 year old in the house (beloved or otherwise!) an accident insurance policy could be the best investment you'll ever make. :lesson:

Good luck. :)

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,968
    Don't most household insurance policies cover this sort of thing anyway?

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The screen consists of 2 elements, the front is the antireflective front screen, and behind it is a fresnal lens..

My brothers child threw a tonka toy at his, and split the front screen.. so he ordered a new one (Phone customer services in the handbook, and have a word with them.. they should/did give us the number for spares)..

Fitting it was easy.. and there are no real issues with replacing either, other then technically there will be very small differences in alignment etc, but in my experience, after a service level reconvergence, providing you follow some common sense rules when putting the screens in, you shouldn't have too much trouble..

Not getting into too much detail, its important that when you fit the new screens that you do this on a perfectly flat surface, the problem you are trying to avoid is if you have the screen on an uneven surface, and you then tighten the clamps down on the outer edges, the screen is not 'taught' and so optically distorts the image more. If you saw how they assemble them in-house, you'd lose all your fears of not being able to do as good a job.. but common sense normally prevails.. well in my experience anyway..

I may of course be wrong, I've replaced/removed screens 20 or 30 times, and never had the mechanical focus/linearity change by anything noticeable..

Oh as mentioned, Household insurance would cover this under accidental damage, this is what happened to my Brother, however, for some reason they just wrote it off, and let him keep the 'damaged' set, and gave him cash to replace it.. so he repaired it and made a mint..

5. KeithY

KeithY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My Tosh 42PW23 screen has been cracked by my six year old son and I cannot source a replacement - Toshiba directed me to SEME Ltd. but they said they only do the electronic components.

Could anyone let me know where a replacement can be obtained. :confused:

Many thanks,

Keith