New Sci-Fi Series - AFTERWORLD!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Channel 4 are repeating the acclaimed and rather phenomenal digital CGI animation TV series AFTERWORLD: a post-apocalyptic story about a man who awakens one day to find all technology redundant, and who is then forced to travel 3000 miles back to his hometown, to see if his wife and son are still alive.

Along the journey, he meets a set of strange, and baroque characters, who help and hinder him, in his quest to discover what went wrong, and why he was forced into his journey.

An unusual 2007 sci-fi series that was designed to be watched on any electronic platform (mobile phone, internet, DVD or TV broadcast), in tiny 3-minute chunks, is now arriving for the first time in the UK - complete and uncensored - courtesy of Channel 4.

Braodcasts start late-night on Saturday 6th June 2009 / early-morning of Sunday 7th June at 4:00am. Episodes will be broadcast in 30-minute blocks, rather than the original 3-minute vignettes, with each episode dealing with one part of Russell Shoemaker's journey. Episodes will then turn-up most nights of the week, at around the same time.

A website is available here and a full episode guide is shown here. :)

Watch the promo here, (work and family-safe), because I think it looks great! :clap:

Pooch

Last edited:

Starburst

Novice Member
Looks interesting and while the timeslot is irrelevant in this PVR age seriously 4am!

Dextur

Distinguished Member
Looks interesting, seems to be a bit of a dearth of good "sci-fi".

Still gutted over Sarah Connor :(

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

NWGarratt, If you set the timer to record something on your PVR, shouldn't that over-ride any attempts at updating it? If your recordings fail, then PM me, and I'll see if I can help you out! :)

Starburst - I'm guessing that C4 simply want to get the show aired quickly, rather than bother trying to promote it or get decent viewing figures, hence the lousy time-slot. :thumbsdow Having said that, the large number of episodes may also be a deciding factor for its time-slot too. Moreso because it's an animated series intended for adults, albeit not one that (as far as I know) contains "adult" content.

Still, it should be an interesting and unusual form of sci-fi to view, and with so few sci-fi shows currently being aired in the UK, this has to be a good thing. :)

Pooch

Last edited:

nwgarratt

Hi,

NWGarratt, If you set the timer to record something on your PVR, shouldn't that over-ride any attempts at updating it? If your recordings fail, then PM me, and I'll see if I can help you out! :)

Unfornately not. I can be recording something and then end with a unfinished recording. I will try to record them anway and see what happens.

Starburst

Novice Member
Just a bump to remind anyone who haven't added to a planner:)

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Well I watched the first episode this morning, over breakfast. Animation is reasonable, a little limited, but it's certainly enjoyable. Some of the themes are borderline "mature", so I wouldn't really recommend showing this to younger family members. (Episode 1 shows a guy committing suicide from a hotel roof, into a flooded road.)

So far, only the following episodes are currently scheduled:

Saturday 6th June 2009 - 4:00-4:30am (Last night!)
The Beginning

Sunday 7th - 4:00-4:25am (Tonight!)
Revelations

Saturday 14th - 4:00-4:30am (Saturday night/Sunday morning)
Mr Shoemaker Goes To Ohio

Sunday 15th - 4:00-4:25am (Sunday night/Monday morning)
Conspiracies Can Come True

As each episode was originally about 3-minutes each, each "episode block" that Channel 4 airs, should contain about 7 episodes, give-or-take. However, in total, there were 25 "episode blocks", which were originally known by their locations, e.g. Block 1 was not known as "Beginnings" but as "New York City, NY". These location titles are shown in the previously mentioned episode guide, in my original post above. :)

But, the "episode blocks" are not always divided in the same way, as the locations they have been grouped into. Although Episode 1 includes the whole set of 10 x 3-minute episodes that form the "New York City, NY" block, Episode 2 contains the whole of block 2, and some of block 3 (Philadelphia, PA and New Eden, PA); Episode 3 contains the remainder of block 3, all of 4, and some of block 5), and so on, and so forth. Thus, it can be very confusing! :eek:

If you plan to keep this, I'd use the episode labels that Channel 4 have been given, from the show's creators / Sony Entertainment e.g. "Beginnings", etc, etc instead.

If C4 keep running the show twice a week, for the next couple of months, then we will see the entire series in full! :clap:

Pooch

Last edited:

chambeaj

LOL!

I missed the first episode block on Ch.4 this morning. Decided I would add into my planner on Sunday evening and catch up on the first 7 to 8 episodes on Channel Four's website.

Problem is, once I'd started to watch the episodes I got hooked, could not wait to see what happened next, and ended up watching the first 50 episodes this afternoon. :D

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
HI,

I've just confirmed with C4 that the entire series is being shown in 13-episodes/blocks, each of about 25-minutes in length, over the next 3 months of Saturday and Sunday nights. :clap:

Pooch

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

More episode details and times:

Thursday 25th June (late-night) / Friday 26th (early-morning)
3:25-3:45am (Episode 5 - Truth Or Consequences)
3:45-4:10am (Episode 6 - Parthia)

Friday 26th (late-night) / Saturday 27th (early-morning)
4:00-4:25am (Episode 7 - Warning Signs)

Pooch

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Just a reminder - the next two episodes are on TONIGHT - starting at 3:25am! :thumbsup:

Also, another episode has been confirmed:

Saturday 27th (late-night) / Sunday 28th (early-morning)
4:00-4:25am (Episode 8 - Darwin's Ghosts)

Pooch

brian s

Distinguished Member
Unfornately not. I can be recording something and then end with a unfinished recording. I will try to record them anway and see what happens.

That's terrible. What make is it as I want to avoid this one.

All the best
Bri

chambeaj

Does not appear to be on next weekend :( These two week gaps between episodes are very frustrating. I would much prefer channel 4 to keep episode broadcasts on a weekly basis.

Its funny how a low budget animation series can keep one so interested and eagerly awaiting the next episode.

chambeaj

Also, no sign of any episodes next weekend.

This is very frustrating. :mad:

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Well, I've just phoned Channel Whore's Viewer Enquiries Team in Belfast, and spoke to a nice lady, and she said that there are no further episodes scheduled for the moment. :mad: :(

I did explain that this show was only 13 episdes in length; that 8 have been shown, and that it was being shown in the very early/late hours of weekends when viewing figures can't be used as a reason for suddenly pulling the show. I also explained that it's effectively been replaced by another animated series, namely "Bob And Margaret", which - whilst a good show - is annoying for fans of "Afterworld" who need and want to see how that show ends first!

She's taken my name and phone number, but did explain that the schedulers are highly unlikely to bother contacting me back, and to simply keep an eye on Channel Whore schedules, for if/when the remaining five episodes of "Afterworld" turn-up. :thumbsdow

Not good news, but it doesn't surprise me in the least, bearing in mind this is a sci-fi show, and it's on Channel Whore, who treat all sci-fi (animated or live-action) with great contempt! :mad:

If I get any more news, I will of course, post it in this thread, or a new one, depending on when they show-up in the schedules.

Pooch

ADDENDUM: Fans can complain, via the CWhore online complaints form, which can be accessed at the bottom of this webpage here! The more complaints, the better! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

chambeaj

Well, I've submitted my complaint.

To say I'm annoyed is an understatement. :mad:

Just like to thank 'PoochJD' for your efforts and keeping this thread informed.

chambeaj

Response from Ch.4 to my complaint:

Dear Mr ***********,

Thank you for contacting us regarding AFTERWORLD.

The rest of the series is not being shown on Channel 4 due to a scheduling
decision; we are sorry for any disappointment or annoyance this may have
caused you. Please be assured that your complaint has been logged and
distributed throughout the channel for te attention of those who commisison
and schedule our programming. I have noted your request that you would like
to see the rest of the series broadcast, and any updates will be announced
via TV listings:

Been watching this and got hooked. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

nice of C4 to just dump it - as long as big bruv is still on eh? :thumbsdow:thumbsdow

I have submitted a complaint for what its worth (nothing?)

depot

All the episodes are on youtube, i watched uptill about episode 70
then gave up when i cheated and watched the last episode which i think was 130.
and found out it doesn't have an ending, it just got cancelled.

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Evening,

This is not the news that I wanted to hear - namely that CWhore have just decided to bloody well dump it! :mad:

The entire series was only 13 x 23m episodes, or the equivalent of 5 hours out of their schedule! Hell, it wasn't even that, as they only had 5 episodes left, which meant even a measly 110m approx couldn't be found to show them! That's not even one night's overnight coverage of Butt Munch, in which we get to see people asleep in bed! :rolleyes:

I can't believe that a terrestrial channel couldn't spare a total of 2 hours out of their weekly, 24hr scheduling, to just show the final few episodes. That's 2 hours out of 168 hours of broadcasting, or more precisely, just 3.36% of one weeks worth of transmission time availability!

Channel Whore - you are complete and utter bar-stools! :mad: :mad: I've just e-mailed them, too, but I don't expect they will give a tinker's cuss what I say! :mad:

Pooch

Last edited:

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Got an e-mail response from CWhore, and - just as with most politicians - completely sidesteps the actual questions/issues I ask and raise! :rolleyes:

My E-mail To CWhore:
Dear Channel 4,

I really do despair at your channel! Your channel schedulers clearly have no braincells between them. Why am I making this angry statement? Because in your wise decision making process, you have decided to pull the final five episode of the animated, sci-fi drama show AFTERWORLD from your late-night TV schedules.

This show has been airing most weekends over the past month, around 4am. Its not a prime-time slot, so I understand that viewing figures shouldn't really be a problem. After all, there can't be too many people watching live TV at that time of night. However, what angers me, is that the entire series was only 13 x 23 minute episodes in total, or the equivalent of 5 hours out of your yearly schedule! Hell, it wasn't even that, as you only had 5 episodes left, which meant that your scheduling team couldn't even locate a measly 115-minutes worth (approximately) of air-time to show them! That's not even one night's overnight coverage of Big Brother, in which we get to see people asleep in bed!

I can't believe that a terrestrial channel couldn't spare a total of 2 hours out of their weekly, 24hr scheduling, to just show the final few episodes. That's 2 hours out of 168 hours of broadcasting, or more precisely, just 3.36% of one weeks worth of transmission time availability!

Your channel really is the most inept, useless, self-interested and immoral channel I know of! You are a but an insignificant shadow of your former self, and to think that your so-called scheduling team starts to schedule an interesting, innovative and unusual show like AFTERWORLD, only to then replace it with repeats of another animated show, namely "Bob & Margaret" which - although very good - has been shown at least twice beforehand, and this time, you aren't even airing the 13 episodes of that show in the correct order, says it all!

You clearly don't give a damn for your viewers, unless they are Big Brother fans, as that appears to be the only show you devote your time to promoting, scheduling, and advertising! So much for being a forward-thinking, innovative, viewer-focussed channel that wants to give TV audiences an alternative! You're nothing more than a bunch of parasites! Thanks a bunch Channel 4! Thanks a bloody bunch!

CWhore's Lame Response:
Dear ********,

Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding AFTERWORLD.

Please be assured your complaint, regarding the scheduling of the series, has been noted and logged for the information of those responsible for our programming.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise.

Regards,

Noah Sinclair
Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Pooch

Last edited:

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
HI,

I bring fantastic news!!!! AFTERWORLD is back on Channel 4! :clap:

The final 5 episodes postponed for no reason whatsoever from July 2009, are now being aired, as follows:

Episode 09 - Man Of The House
Late on Friday 12th February/early Saturday 13th @ 3:30am

Episode 10 - 3000 Miles
Late on Saturday 13th/early Sunday 14th @ 2:50am

Episode 11 - What Lies Beneath
Late on Sunday 14th/early Monday 15th @ 2:45am

Episode 12 - The Shipment
Late on Wednesday 17th/early Thursday 18th @ 3:05am

Episode 13 - When The Levee Breaks
Late on Wednesday 24th/early Thursday 25th @ 2:30am

The details are correct at the time of writing, but may alter slightly between now, and the intended transmission days. Please check your usual TV listings guide for further information! :)

Pooch

Last edited:

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
I see what a well composed email can do, that was a great read thanks for making my day :smashin:
Its Good news the show is back once again time to dig out the vcr :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021