New Satellite/TV system install

dandeep

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've started a major renovation on my victorian house and currently getting my head around the new TV/Satellite system. As it stands I have installed 2 Co-axial (RG6) cables to each room (8 in total) going back into the loft. I will be fitting Crabtree quadruplex wall plates in each room.

Currently I only intend to use Freesat and Freeview but I don't want to have to change things if I decide to have sky Q at a later date.

I believe the way I want to go is a Multiswitch rather than a loft box or distribution amplifier. Now I believe as I intend to use a Multiswitch I will need to change LNB to a Quattro rather than the quad that is currently on the satellite dish. The TV aerial currently has a masthead splitter on it but I plan to ditch the splitter and put straight into Multiswitch. Will the Quattro LNB work with sky Q and Freesat at the same time or will I need a hybrid LNB. Also I think I need a dSCR Multiswitch to use with Sky Q. As mentioned before the Sky Q is only an option for the future and in the meantime just happy with Freesat and Freeview. Also There will be PVR;'s in a few rooms. I read some where that the second coaxial from each room to go straight to LNB in order to record a channel while watching another. If I buy a 16 way Multiswitch could I just put second coaxial into one of these outputs for the same effect.

I hope this is clear but my head feels a little fried after reading up on it all for a couple of evenings while living on a building site.

Cheers in advance for any help.

Dan

First: RG6 may need replacing if it is copper clad steel core... too high DC resistance to drive the LNB / multiswitch properly and reliably.
If all copper construction it should be adequate.

dSCR is supported by $ky Q (and the latest freesat 4k jobs) so that's the one you'll need. AIUI one cable is enough to support up to 16 tuners in the receiving device (device will likely have a lower limit of tuners though).
IIRC my Foxsat-HDR supports unicable LNBs - whether that's the same as dSCR I'm still reading up on ;). May be worth investigating what the devices you have will support?

All m-switch outputs otherwise typically support UHF+legacy sat receivers down the same cable, and auto-switch to the needed mode for the connected receiver.

Legacy twin-cable devices need two feeds from the m-switch (that it also carries UHF+FM+DAB if aerials are connected on them matters not).

Many recent multiswitches support quad LNB inputs as well as quattro.

NB Ideally you should increase the dish size when using a switch.

Satcure's website has some useful info to read.

thanks for the reply Rodders

when you say copper clad core do you mean the very centre copper wire? What I have is copper all the way through with the foam type insulation then a silver foil with what I presume is a steel braid then the outer pvc/plastic.

I was going to upgrade dish to 60cm. Seen some triax ones at a reasonable price. Would I be best to keep everything the same brand dish/lnb/multiswitch?
Cheers

dan

thanks for the reply Rodders

when you say copper clad core do you mean the very centre copper wire? What I have is copper all the way through with the foam type insulation then a silver foil with what I presume is a steel braid then the outer pvc/plastic.

I was going to upgrade dish to 60cm. Seen some triax ones at a reasonable price. Would I be best to keep everything the same brand dish/lnb/multiswitch?
Cheers

dan

Do you have a link to the RG6 cable brand and spec sheet for the stuff you have installed?

Copper clad steel : centre will be magnetic. Same would apply to the braid (if steel).

Steel rusts in the presence of damp/moisture and must never be used outdoors! It's not a good conductor cf copper.

Silver-looking woven braid can sometimes be tinned copper strands, or aluminium (that is also sometimes copper clad, but wouldn't then be silver looking). Aluminium is also a poorer conductor than copper, but better than steel and doesn't rust.

The foil screen is best if copper but aluminised plastic is often used.

All these alternative metals are done for cheapness. All copper is recommended for longevity and reliability.

No need to use one make for everything, but Triax is a reputable brand and even their dishes have a better reputation than some. Using the same supplier would likely ensure best backup/technical support than a mix?

Will get on it when I get home. If it ain’t upto spec where can I get the proper stuff from.

cheers

Hi

Steel coated copper. Screwfix for you. Should have started my research abit earlier. Well only half a days labour and £30 so not too bad. Just want it right. Any recommendations for the cable?

Also, if you were doing the complete new install. What dish/lnb/multiswitch would you opt for?

cheers

I would cave installed CAT5 / 6 network cable rather than coax, then a box with FBC tuners giving 8 tuners with a Unicable LNB, shared to all rooms with a firestick / android device via wifi or wired

Webro WF100 any good aerial/satellite supplier and places like CPC-Farnell. Maybe electrical wholesalers, too.
Triax TX100 aerial suppliers
Philex/Labgear PF100 electrical wholesalers (Screwfix/B&Q used to sell it).

Amazon marketplace and eBay sellers may have any of them - but beware counterfeiters. Look for reputable sellers?

Doncaster Cables CT100 from Toolstation is all copper. Screwfix / B&Q Time GT100 is entirely unclear from their specs, but I seem to recall someone on this forum had some and stated it was all copper?

RG6 is often CCS so usually best avoided!

Running ethernet cable (2) to the points is also a good idea.

Dish - LNB - dSCR multiswitch - not my field of expertise really. But it must have been asked before in other threads? We do have some expert installer types on the forum.

Thanks redders. I e put a shopping list together on cpc. Oh plenty of cat 6 installed in all
Rooms.
Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom