New sat setup (motorised)

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by sergiup, Jul 9, 2015.

1. sergiup

sergiup
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,277
    Hello folks!
    New area of the forum for me.. I'm considering setting up a motorised sat dish. The reason for this is that aside from the usual FreeSat considerations, I would also be looking Eutelsat 16A, Hellas Sat 2, and a couple of others for middle-eastern channels.

I won't be able to install the dish at the front of the house; the chimney breast is an option, but I'm not sure a 1m or larger dish on that will be appreciated by anyone! The rear of the house won't work as it faces NE. The most feasible option would be at the back of the garden, where I have a few options:
    - on a tripod (not ideal at all)
    - on the back fence (concrete posts, could make it secure enough)
    - on the shed; not sure about the legalities, but this would be ideal as it'll have a good enough view and it'll be that little bit higher.

So I have two questions:
    - is anyone aware of restrictions about attaching a satellite dish on a shed?
    - are Dreambox still the preferred boxes, or should I be looking at other alternatives?
    - failing all else, does anyone have any experience with mounting a 1m (or more) disk on the roof, on the chimney breast? :eek:

Thank you for any help!
    Serg

2. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    Hi.
    The fence post will be fine as long as it gives a clear view to the range of satellites that you want.

3. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    A large motorised dish on a fence post may be interesting.... :D Get some advice from someone with experience.

Get a survey from pedro2000uk at purplesat.com. The shed and tripod are sensible options. Through the roof and over gutters may be an option too.

Enigma 2 Linux boxes, ala Drembox/VU+, are still preferred. Though there are more different brands around now with e2 boxes. Just make sure they have good software support.

4. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    My experience is with an 80 cm non-motorised four-LNB dish on a concrete post which has withstood everything perfectly over three years.
    You said you'd secure yours enough - like that in M Hodgkinson's post - and I see no reason why something mobile and heavier should be any less secure!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015