New Samsung TV no teletext

gazza7474

Just bought a new Samsing TV. When I select the text button on the remote it says not available. Any ideas?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Try pressing the red button for BBC. There's no other teletext services in the UK so far as i am aware.

gazza7474

BBC are keeping the teletext going for a bit longer till next year. Teletext works fine on the older panasonic tv I have connected to the aerial. I can't find that much by searching but it maybe the case that Samsung have disabled this now. I did go into the service menu and it is switched on but this on/off maybe doing nothing if the capability has been removed from the hardware/software.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
What happens if you press red button? On my Samsung it brings up the BBC interactive service (Teletext)

gazza7474

What happens if you press red button? On my Samsung it brings up the BBC interactive service (Teletext)

Same as yours I think. I can look at news and sport similar to looking at the bbc website on my laptop. If I press the red button on my old panasonic tv i get old fashioned teletext, very different. Only text, no pictures of Joe Biden etc!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
"Old fashioned " teletext died with analogue TV transmissions. I can only think that you are seeing different renderings of the same information. Perhaps the Panasonic has less capabilities in this respect?

As with your tv, the text button does nothing on mine as it will only work with the analogue tuner.

millfield

I know what gazza means, my Samsung RU7400 doesn't support the ordinary text function but my Humax FVP 5000 pvr does. I much prefer the text service for news sport and weather to the red button service. I also have a Manhattan T3-R recorder that doesn't support the text service.

gazza7474

I know what gazza means, my Samsung RU7400 doesn't support the ordinary text function but my Humax FVP 5000 pvr does. I much prefer the text service for news sport and weather to the red button service. I also have a Manhattan T3-R recorder that doesn't support the text service.

BBC keep extending the end date for the old service, now due to Covid. I think for now I will connect an old Humax freeview box up and use the text on that. Just need to put a shelf up to hold the Humax Box! I guess a tidy solution would be to use a basic USB TV tuner.

millfield

BBC keep extending the end date for the old service, now due to Covid. I think for now I will connect an old Humax freeview box up and use the text on that. Just need to put a shelf up to hold the Humax Box! I guess a tidy solution would be to use a basic USB TV tuner.
👍

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom