New Samsung SP50L3HX

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Spyro, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Has anyone seen the new Samsung SP50L3HX in action? Is the DVI-D connection HDCP compliant? Samsung seem reluctant to answer e-mails or send info on it!

2. ejsilk

ejsilk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It’s available in the U.S as the Samsung HLP5063W DLP.
    Try this link for more info
    Samsung HLP5063W
    They say it's The first DLP TV utilizing next generation DLP HD3?? :clap:

3. andyxxx

andyxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody got a reply to spyro yet?

4. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spyro - I've seen the SP46L3HX - the identical version of the SP50L3HX except for 4inches less in size - and yet - it really ROCKS.....
    I'd go as far as saying that in some ways, I actually preferred the picture to the more expensive SP50L7HX pedestal based version with HD2+ chip...
    And yes, I'm gonna order one and try get a discount!!!!

5. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moved to TV forum.

6. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here are some facts Samsung told me today.

- "SP46L3HX will be available at Currys and Dixon from next week."

- "SP50L3HX uses HD3 and comes with cabinet like 46" model"

I am not sure if this one's also available from next week. I forgot to ask.
    The picture on Samsung website apparently is wrong.

- "SP50L7HX uses HD2+ and more expensive than L3"

Please note that HD3 model is cheaper than HD2+. I asked this again to confirm.

7. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So have I got this correct?

SP46L3HX uses the HD3? which is an improvement on the HD2+

10. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems that HD3 is not enhanced version of HD2 but HD2+ is.
    Can anyone tell the difference between HD2, HD2+ and HD3?

11. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, please see below the answers to diff between HD2/HD2+/HD3, etc - straight from the horses' mouth - Texas Instruments, the makers of these DLP chips - from a conversation I had with them 4 weeks ago, with a manager at their Plano, Texas office!!

PS- All have 1280 x 720 resolution

HD2 - 2000:1 contrast ratio - used in Sagem Axium
    HD3 - 1500:1 contrast ratio - THIS is the update to the HD2 chip!! However, it is actually a better picture overall - even though the contrast ratio is less, as they've incorporated DARKCHIP2 and SMOOTHPICTURE technologies for deeper blacks and more cinema like images, respectively ..... the Samsung SP46L3HX has this chip - and it rocks even some HD2+ based DLP TVs....

HD2+ - more expensive 0.8inch chip, theoretical contrast ratio of 2500:1 - but heck - you wouldn't believe it if you saw, eg the Samsung SP50L7HX (the one with the big pedestal underneath it) selling for £3,500 in Comet etc..... so don't believe the numbers and hype - it's down to how effectively the TV manufacturer has used other factors - such as incorporating 6/7 segment color wheel, proprietary picture enhancement technologies, etc - that makes the difference.....
    If u want proof of that, simply compare last years' Sagem Axium (HD2) to the upcoming Samsung SP46L3HX (HD3) - the Sammy has a considerably more accomplished and refined picture (esp with HDMI)....

Or the (very expensive £4500) Sim2 Domino 45 DLP TV, which uses the HD2 chip, compared to the latest Toshiba 46WM48 DLP TV using the HD2+ chip - the Sim2 has a slightly sharper and cleaner picture - even though the Tosh is brighter...

Ok, essay over! Let me know if u wanna know more...

12. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HD2 -> Darkchip 1 -> CR 1000:1
    HD3 -> Darkchip 2 -> CR 1500:1
    HD2+ -> Darkchip 2 + Dimple Fix-> CR 2500:1
    this is what i am led to believe is the contrast ratio for the different dmd's as i am led to believe...........In the states where there is alot of info on DLP's compared to here it is generaly agreed that the HD2+ is the sharper image and the best out of the lot right now intill xhd3 comes out anyways!! But it is in the way that the DMD is implemented that counts too not just that it has the best chip must be better!!!! HD3 is commonly called the best to some people as it is a softer image then the hd2+ so not as sharp there for being more forgiving on SD (standard definition).
    hope this helps

13. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    These technical specs are all well and good, but at the end of the day it boils down to what display looks best.

For example, how does the Samsung SP50L7HX (HD3) compare with the Optoma Themscene RD50 (HD2+) ? Is the Samsung worth the additional £1,500 investment?

I have seen the Samsung in a local Currys store and it did look the business. It blew the plasma's and LCD's out of the water.

However, the Optoma certainly has a diversity of inputs (HDMI, DVI, component progressive, 3 x SCART etc). Therefore, it will cater for all devices. The Optoma also has a better stand :)

14. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    YES i agree it is all good and well stating figures i was just correcting some figures that were wrong just like i am going to correct you also :) The samsung SP50L7HX does have the HD2+ it is the samsung 50l3hx which has the HD3 these are not to be confused (confusing i know) but the samsung with the glass stand has the HD2+ and the table top has the HD3 hope this clears some things up...............

15. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Corrected by a welshman, how can I can live that down?! :)

16. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am not a welshman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am a mix really :thumbsup: half canadian half yorkshire man lol

17. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Is that supposed to make me feel any better!?! :)

18. mikb

mikb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd rather be corrected by a "Welshman" than a Man Ure supporter.

Ordered the SP46L3HX today from electrical discount, is due for delivery next week!

I had been looking at;

Optima RD50:- Black, over 2k with stand.
    Thompson 50DLY645:- I believe Welsh has one?
    Toshiba 46WM48:- Not too bad.
    Samsung SP46L3hx:- Silver - goes with my new Denon 500 all in one!
    Costs less than most and up to date technology.
    LG:- Ask Lion

:smashin:

19. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Welcome to the forums, mikb. :)

On the documentation, the SP46L3HX is said to be 16:9.
    The photos available online looks like it's a 4:3.
    Could you confirm what format this screen is? :confused:

20. mikb

mikb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was under the impression that it was 16:9.

I will let you know.

Thats if I ever get it connected up and working properly!

I am sad when it comes to wires. :D

21. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mikb, is it genuine UK stock? cos Samsung told me they probably got it from abroad. Just interested to see what the price will be from Currys/Dixons next week.

22. ddlooping

ddlooping

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ok, thanks. ;)

23. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Good luck, mate. I e-mailed this company over a week ago to ask if they had the model in stock. Still waiting for a reply... Not the kind of service you'd expect when you're considering buying a £2000-ish set from them.

24. mikb

mikb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also rang 14 days ago and was informed that they get new stock every couple of weeks.
    They also said I would be better just ringing them back to see if new stock was in.
    I was informed by the salesman that the current stock sold within 2 days.

I called them Wednesday, they confirmed order Thursday, delivery company rang me today and confirmed Monday delivery!

If I were you, give em a ring in the morning. :smashin:

25. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Thanks for the reply, mikb.

It's very tempting, but the stock origin concerns me. Since Samsung UK have not released this model yet, then EDUK must be selling European imports. Shouldn't be a problem in these EC days, but it has been pointed out elsewhere that there can be warranty issues from this. Specifically, if you have a problem, then the UK marketing company can be 'difficult' when it comes to arranging service calls. Particularly if you haven't got an official dealer to fight your corner for you.

26. mikb

mikb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All set up!

Currently only connected with scarts, picture, noise etc all fantastic.
    Size 46" well adequate.
    All lterature is uk as well as the product registration docs, guarantee.

The only thing was that I had to purchase stand separately.
    Bought a Stormark 43inch table that has 2 glass shelves, does a great job and only cost £40. :thumbsup:

27. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How good is it with normal TV and DVD? Is it better/worse than plasma?

28. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Attention all - **** INITIAL REVIEW of my new Samsung SP46L3HX ****

Dear All, including Molly, Timanfiya and Lizzard:

For some answers and also good news, see below:

Firstly, your questions answered:

1. Molly - see further below for my initial comments on my brand new Samsung's picture quality, etc...

2. Lizzard: Major difference between the 46L3HX/50L3HX and the 50L7HX (the one with the cute, but space wasting triangular pedestal underneath) is very simply this:
    The L7 model is most expensive and uses HD2+ DLP chip, contrast ratio (theoretically) 2500:1, whereas the L3 models use HD3 chip, contrast ratio 1500:1 - but also incorporates other benefits such as Darkchip2 and SmoothPicture (TM) technology, which the L7 doesn't.
    I can honestly tell you (having seen both L7 and L3 models SIDE by SIDE at a corporate location as well as other places), that the L3 model is a BETTER picture!!!!! Do NOT be misled by people anywhere in AVFOrums who mean well by telling you that HD2+ should be better than HD3 - TRUST ME - I've seen both for over 4 HOURS viewing and concluded that the HD3 unit has a more natural, film-like picture. And the contrast ratio thing - there really is very LITTLE difference in practical viewing - HONESTLY!!!!!!! I can honestly say that this SP46L3HX and the Optoma RD50 are the 2 best DLP units available in the UK right now - FULL STOP. And my preference between the two goes to SP46L3 - both for external looks and the SMOOTHER picture (it's still sharp, don't worry) achieved by the excellent Samsung DNIe3 and HD3 plus 7-SEGMENT technology.
    Finally price - SP46L3 should set you back no more than £1750 (what I paid for it). And I have no hesitation in saying that it was worth every penny so far...

3. TimanFiya - Difference between the SP46L3HX and SP43L2HX is very simple - and very fundamental - the former is DLP (see 2 above for more details), whilst the latter is an LCD-based rear-pro. I've seen both - I assure you (and I'm sure most DLP posting members will agree) that you're best to stick to the newer SP46L3HX as the DLP technology offers so much more benefits - eg true HD (the latter doesn't), no need to convergence ever (even though some manufacturers promise so-called "auto convergence" !! ha! as well Contrast Ratio and Sharpness - both winners on the DLP unit).

Finally INITIAL OBSERVATIONS on my new Samsung SP46L3HX:

Sky picture quality (PQ) through RGB based SCART cable from a Grundig Sky Digital box - SURPRISINGLY good!! Typical tests on Channel 5, BBC1 (poss the best channel), MTV, SKY 1 etc show a remarkably good image - DEF better than most plasmas I've seen (even at people's houses with the same setup) and I'd say better than every other DLP set I've seen so far (LG, Toshiba, Sagem, Thomson; though Samsung L7 DLP + Optoma came close).

DVD PQ through RGB Scart cable from Panasonic DVDS75 - VERY VERY GOOD - BLADE and MATRIX RELOADED both looked RAZOR SHARP (without even switching to the TV's "Dynamic" mode) - EXCELLENT BLACK LEVEL DETAILS (in dark scenes, can still see knitwork on Morpheus and Keanu's black coats/jackets), VERY GOOD CONTRAST (in the scene where Neo/Keanu fights in the downstairs "reception" or landing with those 8 or 9 guys sent by that french-accent guy) - great black side by side with white/cream statues - and guess what? You can STILL SEE details in the white statues - so contrast does NOT overpower the the white-level OR black level details...
    Great blacks - eg Neo's female sidekick's leather outfit is blacker than even the lovely black frame on the outside of the Sammy's screen...
    NO PIXELATION and NO motion artefacts/blurring; also NO JAGGED LINES - YES - I could hardly believe it - after having compared and sadly seen jagged lines on Toshiba, Sagem, LG, and others - using same DVD and RGB scart/Components for source....

Sound Quality - GREAT bass and treble and spaciousness - as good as the Toshiba DLP (which I consider joint best for sound quality with this Sammy) - better than Optoma, Samsung L7 DLP, others.

OK - Sorry for the long post guys. Hope all this helps.
    The company I bought mine from are likely to get more very soon - same price £1750 I believe, whilst they'll possibly get the L7 for less than the current RRP of £3500 in all these Currys, COmet, etc - apparently around £2,700...

Feedback welcome.

Finally - keep in mind that the DVD review above was just all through RGB SCART - haven't even tried Components with Prog scan yet!!!!

Krishna.

29. timanfiya

timanfiya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Krishna, not seen many review on this set but sounds promising. Didn't realize the other model was an LCD RP I must have seen someone advertising it as a dlp or something.

Where did you get yours from??

Also, do you have the dimensions to hand, as this is quite an important factor for me?? Was becoming intersted in the Tosh or maybe considering plasma again but you have got my interest in this one.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

30. Krishna

Krishna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NET DIMENSIONS (W x H x D mm) NET WEIGHT

SP46L3HXX/XEU 1,094.7 x 812.8 x 337.8, 31.5 Kgs

And EVERYONE who's seen my unit since I got it - when they walk into the room - think that it's a plasma based on its design!! So in other words - NOT ONE COMMENT that it looks like a REAR PRO or has BIG EARS (Tohiba DLP anyone?) etc etc ....