New Samsung SMT-2110C Virgin VBox Audio Connecting Issues?...

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Robster74, May 2, 2007.

1. Robster74

Robster74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

New here so firstly hi to all :hiya:

I have just got connected to Virgin Media and have the following issue that I would like to see if anyone has the same and found a resolution, I have spent two hours trawling through this forum to no avail but live in hope.

I had a Skydigibox and to get my Durabrand Surround System to play through it, just had very simple red and white audio connectors with the lead, that I linked from the back of the bass unit of the surround and into the back of the Sky box audio sockets.

Not knowing what set top box or anything Virgin used till it arrived, then started to plumb it all in, (I chose self install and was all simple apart from this issue) I noticed that their is no audio sockets on the back of the Samsung SMT-2110C.

On one of the sheets that came with it showing all the connections on the rear, it shows a SPDIF connector ability and states "To connect optical line lead to your audio amp or home theatre with 5.1ch decoder"

I have looked high and low for SPDIF connector leads that have the traditional red and white audio connector's on one end that I would plug in to the back of my Durabrand surround system but has this SPDIF connector on the other end but no avail and I am so lost without my surround! :suicide:

I have even spoke with Maplins and they don't deal in SPDIF and if they don't, to me it sounds like a new kind of connection and the normal companies who stock allsort's have not cottoned on yet.

Does anyone have any good advice or indeed had the same problem themselves and can help guide me to resolving this issue, it would be very much appreciated. :smashin:

Regards,
    Rob

2. DavidT

DavidT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    You wont find a cable like that because SPDIF is optical and the phonos are not.

You need to have an optical input on your surround amp.

David

3. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Does your TV not have red & white audio connections? You could use them...

I believe SPDIF is just a different term for a normal optical/toslink connection. If your surround system doesn't support this connection, i.e. it doesn't have a similar looking connection - you could just buy a scart to red/white audio lead & connect that from your SS to your VBox or TV :thumbsup:

4. Robster74

Robster74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes my TV has them on the side, I have plugged them in but no sound coming from my surround system but I know the surround system is working as the leads from my PC to it are giving me the usual sound.

I think it is time to plug my Sky box back in :thumbsdow

Surely there has to be a lead out there in today's world of technology that fits with a Virgin VBox that only offers S/PDIF connection, why on EARTH would they remove audio / phono jacks totally is well beyond me! :confused:

5. mr_burns

mr_burns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  6. causeway

causeway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm, how are you planning to get surround from those 2 audio channels?

Sounds like there is a digital out on the v-box, is there and optical/coax/spdif/whatever on the amp? I mean a connection which isn't just the two phono sockets?

7. TheDoctorW4

TheDoctorW4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the same position and for special occasions have to return to SKY for cinema-type sound.
    I asked Virgin Media why they have used a box which doesn't provide simple AV outputs like SKY and how I can connect it to my Sony AV System DAV-S500. I do not have AV outlets from my LG TV. I have tried a Scart box with audio in/out sockets but that doesn't solve the problem. It took Virgin Media 5 weeks to send this reply, which clearly does not answer my question. I will reply to them and let you know if they come back with any useful advice:

"Thanks for your email to Virgin Media about DTV audio quality.

Please provide us with the following information as this will help us
    investigate the matter for you:

- Do you have a NICAM STEREO TV.

- If yes then do you get MONO sound?

- If you do then is your set-top box connetced to the TV via a SCART
    cable?

- Please remove your SCART lead on both the TV and set-top box and
    reseat it.

- Does this affect all channels?

- Please try altering the volume via the set top box and see if this
    makes an improvement.

We can then investigate the issue once these details have been received.

Please contact us if you have any further queries."

There must be thousands of people asking the same question

8. Kebabhead

Kebabhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
    Here's more info for the OP re SPDIF courtesy of Wikipedia

9. karl.g

karl.g

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Look on ebay for a midiman flying calf D/A. I picked one up for £30 last year and they are excellent digital to analogue converters. It takes the spdif digital signal and gives you two rca analgue outs like the red and white connnectors you see.

http://www.midi-classics.com/p13981.htm

10. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    You might have to enable the audio output in your TV settings for it to send a signal to your SS. Failing that, I would just buy a scart to audio lead, or a normal scart lead with audio breakout as Burns suggested. You can probably pick either up for less than a fiver on ebay. You could also phone Virgin & ask for a different STB. I had Virgin installed recently & they fitted a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200DVB, which has both optical & red/white audio outputs. Not sure why some people are getting one STB & some are getting others...

It's either of the above options, or get a D/A converter as Karl suggested or a new SS. Neither of which are that cheap.

I presume his AV system will decode the stereo signal into Pro Logic or similar.

I thought the DAV-S500 had an optical input, can't you use that?

11. Robster74

Robster74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=29540&doy=3m5
    Hi The Doctor and All That Have Replied, Here Is My Update;

My TV does have 3 scart sockets at the rear but they are all taken up with DVD Recorder, now the Virgin VBox and also an outside CCTV. The outside CCTV is linked up to use the microphone capability and hence is linked from the scart in the back of the TV to one of the 4 scart sockets in the 4 way AV selector unit, also plumbled into this is the audio phono leads from tha back of the DVD recorder to this scart socket in the 4 way AV selector. This was the only way with many electrical items including pc, printers and lots more that I could get the sound to work while recording my cctv onto dvd.

Now before looking behind the TV and remembering I had this AV selector auto unit and seeing it has two free scart ports, as i say one running as the main TV scart and one from the DVD along with having audio phono ports, I thought why not give it a whirl.

So i unplugged the red and white phone leads from the side of my tv that run into the back of my surround sound bass unit, then plugged them into the TV Out red and white phone ports on the 4 scart AV selector and VOILA, the sound came through straight away! :clap: :rotfl: :smashin:

The Doctor This May Be Of Interest To You;
    Whilst been nosey and understanding things due to my above coup of getting my issue sorted, I believe you could either get the same as me, especially when you are lacking either available scart sockets in the back of your tv or as you mention phono out ports in your TV and that is something similar like the following - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=97941&doy=3m5

Or I have also just found this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=29540&doy=3m5on Maplin's website and from reading what it does it would work but I won't shell out now I have my issue sorted.

If anyone who can decypher the above (Sorry but when explaining things I am not a professional at, things sometimes don't sound as I want them too) and would like to give further agreement or disagreement to the above ways I am mentioning above, it could be a good post for people who are suffering either what I or The Doctor have when getting one of the new Virgin VBox's.

Regards,
    Rob

12. TheDoctorW4

TheDoctorW4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Later that day......

Having read all the helpful advice on here and digging out the manual for my Sony AV System I found to my surprise that it has indeed an optical socket, as does the Samsung 2110C Virgin V Box. So after a trip to Maplins for a £13.99 optical lead I now have the TV sound coming out of my Sony sound system again. If the Virgin engineer had explained this to me when disconnecting the AV phono leads from my SKY Digibox it would have made life much simpler.

I'll wait another 5 weeks for the Virgin help desk to come back to me with their advice......

Hope this is helpful to the many people who must have found themselves in the same position.

13. Ben

Ben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Not entirely sure this will work. It's an "Analog to Digital Converter" you've linked to. You want something that converts the 'digital' output from the VBox to the 'analog' input on your SS... It might work in reverse, but it doesn't state for definite in the FAQ.

14. shrapnel

shrapnel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same prob as some on here i went from sky to virgin and guess what no red-white phono outputs. Im at the moment waiting for the installers to come and connect me but i hope the virgin box(samsung) has got optical out then i can go into my yamaha amp no probs. But i got a scart to scart with two phono breakouts just incase what a nightmare just to get surround sound if they put the common phono outs all would be sweet....:thumbsdow

15. mtb1975

mtb1975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just encountered the same problem - my Pace box failed and was replaced by the latest Samsung box (with no audio out), Virgins only solution was an upgrade to V+. Now is it just me or is there something fishy going on here?

If they gradually get rid of all the features on standard Virgin by replacng all the older fully featured STB's with lesser featured Samsung models, everyone will have to cough up between £75 and £150 for a V+ box and at least another £5 a month on the standard subscription.

That's one way of beating the credit crunch!

16. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Missing a couple of sockets on the back might make the box a bit cheaper to produce but I would suggest that it would make no difference to the sound quality. It just makes connection more convenient. Mr Burns gave the simple,and cheap, solution some way back. Whatever the connection you are only going to get stereo from all the channels you can receive.

Occasionally programmes and films are broadcast using (Non digital)Dolby Surround, or variations thereof. What you cannot get is full Dolby Digital. This can only be obtained using a V+ box or the Sky equivilent, and this will only give results with specific HD transmissions from BBC HD and other HD channels and films.