New Samsung Smart TV has made my HTPC redundant... or has it?

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by andymet87, Jan 10, 2012.

1. andymet87

andymet87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Firstly if this is in the wrong place moderators, please move the thread..!

So then....

I have just bought myself the Samsung UE46D6100, a 46" Smart TV. Its capabilities were very impressive on paper and so it now stands proudly in my living room....

I bought it thinking it would replace my HTPC. It can stream pretty much anything very nicely over the LAN from my NAS or anything else thats DLNA certified. Whether its music, videos, litually anything I throw at it.

Now my problem is this... I used my cutom Windows 7 HTPC running Media Centre with Media Browser for all my streaming needs, watching BlueRay, streaming Sky sports, etc... Now my usage of my HTPC has slowely been decreasing, I tend to stream catchup TV over my PS3 (the TV will only stream BBC Iplayer atm), watch blueray on the ps3, etc. Mainly because its much faster to turn on!

Now I have a large media collection on my NAS. The interface on both the TV, & the PS3 is terrible. I'm used to viewing screenshots and all the metadata via mediabrowser (metadata supplied by meta browser). I would like to keep this sort of interface if at all possible.

SO... I'm not sure I can take my HTPC out as planned! But it seems a waste to have a very high spec pc sat under a TV just to be able to access my Movie & Music collection in the living room.

Can anyone suggest the best route to take? Is there a set-top box that can solely run MediaBrowser? - or something similar?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    "Is there a set-top box that can solely run MediaBrowser? - or something similar?"

A few media players can display metadata and fanart, I used to use a modified WDTV Live for this, but others exists, the slickest use YAMJ (Popcornhour, Dune etc).

Personally I found that the WDTV Live was taking up too much maintenance time as you have generate the fanart images in a separate app offline and its not as quick and easy to do as , say XBMC. Its also not nearly as slick as XBMC, and if change your fanart layout, its a right royal pain, but does the job. There's no nice Iphone/Android app either.

Personally, I much prefer XBMC on a small net top (Acer Revo, Zotac Zbox etc) to my media streamer these days, especially if I'm only using it to stream movies. My Squeezeboxes take care of music, and sky does my PVR stuff just fine.