New Samsung LED, awful judder in highlights, thoughts?

Nostromo

Standard Member
We just purchased a series 6 Samsung LED 40". Just did some very cursory viewing, but I put in Alien on bluray and was stunned by how awful the highlights juddered in the opening scenes (panning around empty ship, lights start flicking on). It's like I'm seeing 2 frames displayed at the same time - every highlight ghosts and pops from frame to frame.

PS3 outputting 24p. TV in Movie with ALL the stupid enhancers turned off. Contrast at 95, brightness at 49, color is Warm 2 - those are the only adjustments I'm letting the TV do.

I need to do some in depth tweaking, but my first impression is poor. Incidentally I work in film post production.... I have a good idea of what's proper. Going to test my blu ray on the calibrated displays at work today - maybe I just never noticed the natural judder of this scene. Kinda wondering if the refresh rate is so high on the LED that persistence of vision is causing me to see retain the last frame when the new one is displayed, hence bad judder.

Turning on the Automagic Motion Thingy smooths it out, but so help me it makes everything look like an 80's soap opera.

silus

Banned
I find if you turn motion plus off, the image is very very juddery. I tend to have it on Standard, because it's an OK mix of smoothness and looking like a low budget 80s soap.

Nostromo

Standard Member
silus said:
I find if you turn motion plus off, the image is very very juddery. I tend to have it on Standard, because it's an OK mix of smoothness and looking like a low budget 80s soap.

With all due respect, I find it a complete abomination. I litereally go into a fit of rage when I walk into Cotso and see all the TVs with it turned on.

Hopefully this TV can be smoothed out with some tweaking. It's so skinny it will look great mounted on the wall! I'd hate to trade it for something chunkier

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Q800T 8K QLED TV Review
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom