New Samsung LE32R73BD owner - needs guidance!!!

1nternet

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am the proud new owner of a Samsung LE32R73BD and after spending just over another couple of hours reading this site, have mixed emotions about my purchase!! As with every product discussed there appear to be positives and negatives!

I was torn between getting the Toshiba 32***T66 (cant remember rest of the name, sorry) and the Samsung, but after two weeks spent on this site reading various positives and negatives I decided to stop messing about and just get one...and i plumped for the Samsung.

I am happy with my purchase, but have a couple of things I would like some guidance on:

1) How do i increase the picture quality when watching DVD's through my Sony DVP-NS29? At the moment the picture is blocky and grainy (far worse than watching tele through the built-in tuner). At the moment I have a bog standard scart cable connecting the two together. I have NO idea about the best way to go about doing this as i am a total newb when it comes to LCD teles (apart from the two weeks i have invested here before making a purchase today!).

2) What bracket can i get to fix my new lcd to the wall? I see loads on eBay but i get the feeling they're cheap n nasty. after spending so much on the tv I dont want to risk it with a cheap wall mouting kit!!

3) Does anyone have any advice about how to get the most from my Samsung? I wouldnt know what to do with regards to changing settings, so its pretty much as it was when it came out of the box (aside from changing the colour settings, which were far too bright and brash at first)

Anyway, i'm gonna go carry on and read up on my tele and try to focus on the positive comments I read on here!!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who spares a mo for me!!

Neil

Hi, I am the proud new owner of a Samsung LE32R73BD and after spending just over another couple of hours reading this site, have mixed emotions about my purchase!! As with every product discussed there appear to be positives and negatives!

I was torn between getting the Toshiba 32***T66 (cant remember rest of the name, sorry) and the Samsung, but after two weeks spent on this site reading various positives and negatives I decided to stop messing about and just get one...and i plumped for the Samsung.

I am happy with my purchase, but have a couple of things I would like some guidance on:

1) How do i increase the picture quality when watching DVD's through my Sony DVP-NS29? At the moment the picture is blocky and grainy (far worse than watching tele through the built-in tuner). At the moment I have a bog standard scart cable connecting the two together. I have NO idea about the best way to go about doing this as i am a total newb when it comes to LCD teles (apart from the two weeks i have invested here before making a purchase today!).

2) What bracket can i get to fix my new lcd to the wall? I see loads on eBay but i get the feeling they're cheap n nasty. after spending so much on the tv I dont want to risk it with a cheap wall mouting kit!!

3) Does anyone have any advice about how to get the most from my Samsung? I wouldnt know what to do with regards to changing settings, so its pretty much as it was when it came out of the box (aside from changing the colour settings, which were far too bright and brash at first)

Anyway, i'm gonna go carry on and read up on my tele and try to focus on the positive comments I read on here!!!

Thanks in advance to anyone who spares a mo for me!!

Neil

Don't know about the bracket, but do you have the dvd plugged into the rgb scart rather than the normal scart?

Does your DVD player have Componant conections on the back? if so hook it up through there, i use these and the picture is superb.

https://markgrantcables.co.uk/index...ts_id=2&shop=db7012678e86297a9f60c0c7b9a511b8

But failing that get this scart cable, this is what i used before buying the componant cables and i think it looked good.

http://www.discounttv.co.uk/categor....html?osCsid=a9bd464ec101da3a581b25c579805a2a

And like the post above says check you have it plugged into the RGB scart connection, this makes alot of difference.

hi, just tried it in both but couldnt notice any different. The picture is still just as blocky as before!??!

Does your DVD player have Componant conections on the back? if so hook it up through there, i use these and the picture is superb.

https://markgrantcables.co.uk/index...ts_id=2&shop=db7012678e86297a9f60c0c7b9a511b8

But failing that get this scart cable, this is what i used before buying the componant cables and i think it looked good.

http://www.discounttv.co.uk/categor....html?osCsid=a9bd464ec101da3a581b25c579805a2a

And like the post above says check you have it plugged into the RGB scart connection, this makes alot of difference.

thanks for coming back....do these cables make that much of a difference?

thanks for coming back....do these cables make that much of a difference?

I checked out your DVD player and as far as i can see your stuck with scart, i found using a decent scart compared to a freebie in the box gave a much better image. But thats my personal experince.

But take a look through that thread and try out some of the different settings as it will prob get rid of most of the blockiness.

In the video settings for the DVD check that it is outputing in RGB and 16:9 not some 4:3 letterbox mode. Use a good quality SCART cable as your DVD does not have component output. Alternatively I suggest geeting a more modern DVD player with at least component out or even better with HDMI out. Something like this would be a major improvement http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...ler_DVD_Player/Product.html?searchtype=genre#

I checked out your DVD player and as far as i can see your stuck with scart, i found using a decent scart compared to a freebie in the box gave a much better image. But thats my personal experince.

But take a look through that thread and try out some of the different settings as it will prob get rid of most of the blockiness.

Just checked the back of the dvd player and all i can see (aside from the scart) is four other sockets (all the same) ORANGE, RED, WHITE AND YELLOW. It says "DIGITAL OUT" AND ALSO "LINE OUT"

Dunno what any of these are though!!!?

Just checked the back of the dvd player and all i can see (aside from the scart) is four other sockets (all the same) ORANGE, RED, WHITE AND YELLOW. It says "DIGITAL OUT" AND ALSO "LINE OUT"

Dunno what any of these are though!!!?

Two are sound outputs to plug into a surround amp and the yellow is a composite connection which is inferior to scart.

Two are sound outputs to plug into a surround amp and the yellow is a composite connection which is inferior to scart.

so i guess im stuck with SCART then!! Maybe a more expensive lead would do the trick? Do places like currys sell them?

so i guess im stuck with SCART then!! Maybe a more expensive lead would do the trick? Do places like currys sell them?

Well i would get the one i recommended in the previous post you can get them cheap online delivered next day. Curry's don't stock the QED and i'm not sure if they have any decent ones, someone else may be able to advise you.

oh, and if the link doesnt work the item ~ is 120102732978

cheers!!

Thanks for the link . this thread REALLY helped!
Finally, which of the two scart socket should i plugmy dvd player into??!?!!?

The first one that says RGB.

You might not be able to get the high quality you seek. If you bought this TV without any HD Devices, Xbox 360, DVD Player with HDMI/Component out, then I think you've made a mistake.

This Samsung doesn't do Standard Def input very well. I bought this for my Xbox 1 in HD and Xbox 360 in HD. I have my Virgin Cable Box plugged in via RGB scart and it looks like a low quality jpeg stretched to fit, has same blocky artifacting.

What I do when watching SD Source on my TV is take my glasses off lol, my eyes then supply me with a unique built in processing filter that blurs out the artifacts and blocks.

You might not be able to get the high quality you seek. If you bought this TV without any HD Devices, Xbox 360, DVD Player with HDMI/Component out, then I think you've made a mistake.

This Samsung doesn't do Standard Def input very well. I bought this for my Xbox 1 in HD and Xbox 360 in HD. I have my Virgin Cable Box plugged in via RGB scart and it looks like a low quality jpeg stretched to fit, has same blocky artifacting.

What I do when watching SD Source on my TV is take my glasses off lol, my eyes then supply me with a unique built in processing filter that blurs out the artifacts and blocks.

Lol it sounds as if your pic is really bad. Mine is fine with the built in freeview. It doesn't look like a CRT but it certainly doesn't have blocky artifacting. I think i sit around 3 metres away.

you might want to invest in a better DVD player. even if you are not interest in high definition yet you can pick up an upscaling DVD player such as the Samsung HD850 for less than fifty notes delivered on ebay and they are superb for the money. I saw a big difference through HDMI (which is included in the box) over my previous player which wasn't too shabby itself.

Lol it sounds as if your pic is really bad. Mine is fine with the built in freeview. It doesn't look like a CRT but it certainly doesn't have blocky artifacting. I think i sit around 3 metres away.

Haha, its aweful, its ok. CBeebies looks the best out of all the channels I think ahah.

To the topic creator, you can get a nice Samsung upscaling DVD player for less than £45 here:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SAM-DVDHD870.htm

Here are the specs:

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/dvdplayer/hypervisiondvdplayers/dvd_hd870.asp

Might get this myself :D

Haha, its aweful, its ok. CBeebies looks the best out of all the channels I think ahah.

To the topic creator, you can get a nice Samsung upscaling DVD player for less than £45 here:

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index~modelcode~SAM-DVDHD870.htm

Here are the specs:

http://www.samsung.com/he/products/dvdplayer/hypervisiondvdplayers/dvd_hd870.asp

Might get this myself :D

thanks for the suggestions...will be buying one of these bad boys when i get paid. Shame they dont come with the required HDMI leads tho....

Right, the missus has managed to lose the manual after 2 days. Marvellous.
So here i am with another stupid question.

On all the freeview boxes I have owned, when changing channels the current program and next program pop up on the bottom of the screen. However on this tele I have to press the "i" button to find out whats on after changing channel.

I have looked through the menu but cannot find anyway to set this up. Is this an option available anywhere on this lcd?

thanks for your patience!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom