New Samsung LCD22 TV - Freeview BBC Multiplex problems

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Mdcollins, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Mdcollins

Mdcollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

Many apologies if this has been posted several times before.

I have just bought a Samsung LCD TV (LE22B450C4W) and am having real difficulty tuning into the main BBC multiplex (is this MUX1?).

I am living in North Yorkshire, and according to Wolfbane, UK digital TV reception predictor
    I should receive a signal from either Bilsdale West or Elmley Moor (the latter is probably the best from what I can gather but am not sure).

Unfortunately, the BBC channels are not appearing at all, and on the odd occasion when I have managed to tune them in, they appear at 800+ and the signal is really poor.

What I can't understand is that through my DVD player (with freeview tuner) there is no problem whatsoever, and even my little portable TV with an internal "one for all" aerial can pick it up without problems. Previously when using a stand alone freeview receiver there was no problems whatsoever.

Is it simply that the TV has a poor quality tuner in? Is there anything I can do without calling an engineer to mess with the aerial? I gather that sometimes if the TV thinks it has tuned in a channel (maybe from the transmitter that has lower signal), it refuses to tune it in from the better signal. Is this correct?

Can anyone suggest which order to manually tune the channels to alleviate this problem? I would try to see the channel numbers from the DVD player tuner to see which is best there, but can't find them in the machine at the moment.

Many thanks, I hope somebody can point me in the right direction!

Matthew

2. Mdcollins

Mdcollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On further investigation I can confirm that I am receiving channel 52 through my DVD tuner loud and clear (well, signal strength about 5/10, but can't notice any problems). The TV will recognise Channel 52, but only with "weak or no signal". Is it a rubbish TV in that case?

M

3. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    As you will have noted from the Wolfbane website channel 52 is Multiplex 1 (BBC channels) from the Emley Moor transmitter. Multiplex 1 from Bilsdale is shown as being on channel 34. So in effect on your Samsung TV, if its possible, you need to manually delete channel 34 and replace it by channel 52.

Freeview on Emley Moor TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice, since 2002

Freeview on Bilsdale TV transmitter | ukfree.tv - independent digital television and switchover advice, since 2002

Another way to do it, but in your case its difficult as Bilsdale & Emley overlap channels, is to watch the tuning bar and hold off inserting the aerial until channel 34 position has been passed. You would have to guess this & it needs to be quick as Emley Moor first channel is 40. (Bilsdale's last channel is 42).
    This is the easiest to do when one transmitter has channels in the lower end of the band and the other transmitter has channels at the top end.

You could also try a TV booster to see if that helps to sort out the channels better.

4. Mdcollins

Mdcollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, thanks for that. What I did manage to do was "factory reset" to wipe the slate clean, and instead of doing a full tune, I just manually tuned in channel 52. This did have the effect of installing the channels in the right place, but the picture was very broken (refreshing the screen maybe once every 5 seconds at best). That's what I don't get, because through my other devices (still connected to the aerial), the signal is fine.

Maybe I'll have to look into a TV booster (or watching those channels through the DVD player) then but it seems a bit ridiculous.

M

Matthew

5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    It could be a bad co-axial lead you have to the TV. Are you splitting the aerial between three devices with three small coaxial leads? Try a new co-axial lead (a good quality one). The usual way is to daisy chain the devices and this usually results in the TV being the last on the line. In which case there isn't enough signal to supply all three devices. This is where a high gain TV booster may be of benefit.

Sony have a connection diagram website which shows how to connect up various AV equipment but they do complicate matters somewhat by showing different TV aerial connections for both digital and analogue inputs. On my 37" Sony Bravia I have had to connect a M to F coaxial link between these two inputs.

http://support.sony-europe.com/tv/tutorials/connectivity/connectivity.aspx?l=en

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  6. Mdcollins

Mdcollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks - I'm going to try and get some decent co-ax cable (is there a make which is good quality but not that doesn't charge you £30 for something that is worth £5?) and see whether that does anything. If that doesn't help I'll think about an attenuator/signal booster but not sure about them yet.

I've got aerial lead going from wall socket to DVD player, and one going to TV. I'm awaiting an HDMI cable to replace the existing scart between the two coming too. They are the only devices I have got connected.

M

7. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You could make up your own leads from a reel of satellite grade double screened co-ax (that way you can fix your own size of lead needed), or purchase ready made good quality fly leads. ATV sell these. See the section TV Leads/Fly leads on their website.

Satellite, Television, FM, DAB Aerial Cable & Leads

I purchased a few 6M "Pure AV" Aerial Antenna cable, by Belkin offloaded to box shifters from a local market stall @ £2-49 per blister pack and have made up quite a few leads to the sizes needed from these packs. It's excellent low loss cable and was made to originally retail at over £20. You have to look for these bargains. Good quality cable at Comet costs a fortune.

8. Mdcollins

Mdcollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Update - changed the co-ax leads, and it's a vast improvement. Thanks!

9. frankgordan

frankgordan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your missing BBC, so your not really missing anything.....lol

10. robinofloxley

robinofloxley
    Standard Member

Products Owned: