1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Samsung LCD RPTV

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Alan_W, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Does anyone have any knwlrdge of the new Samsung LCD RPTV's.

www.samsung.com/Products/TV/ProjectionTV/TV_ProjectionTV_SP46L5HX.htm looks ab fab but doesn't seem to be available in the UK. :(

But it has a 43inch equivalent available for £1500, which seems to be a good deal. :smashin:

Anyone seen one in the flesh?

I was just about persuading SWMBO about the benefits of a Tosh 36 but was falling down on the "balancing that huge speaker on the top of it" bit. :eek: so the lack of "that huge grey bit on the bottom" of the Samsung could win the day. It could sit on a nice plasma friendly type Ikea unit

:clap:

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
  3. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting telly. Not sure where you got that price from - I haven't found any pricing information.

Another interesting link that some people may be interested in:
    http://www.samsung.com/DigitAll/GlobalExhibition/Exhibition/IFA2003/ppk/ppk_04_SP46L5HX.htm

Some nice pictures of the set, a little Hitch-Hiker-esque text-and-animation presentation about it (mainly marketing guff), and even a video (I think - doesn't work on my work computer).

peejay

4. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to post twice, but just discovered there's a load more info at the site address I posted than I thought. Hadn't spotted the links at the top of the page (features, 3d view etc) before.

Some of the info is contradictory or wrong, eg on the specs page it says it's 32", on the press page it says the two models are 46" and 56". The specs page says the contrast ratio is 600:1, the press page says 750:1. Oh, and it says that it will be launched in Europe in August 2003. I didn't notice that happening in this part of Europe! (ie the UK)

The 3d view is pretty funky. You can zoom in and count the scart sockets!

5. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I've now found a couple of prices in Europe. 4,500 euros! That's about £3,000! Just when I thought it was too good to be true - it was.

6. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I wouldn't worry. You'll probably find it closer to £2K when the online retailers get hold of it.

7. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
    Meanwhile the SP43L2HX looks good value at £1499 especially when the specs seem to be the same

8. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, that's a very interesting telly!

I'm not sure it's exactly the same specs, though. The surround around the picture looks different. Plus, you can download a manual for the SP43L2HX and from this it says it has a fan, whereas the specs on the site I posted say "Built in power (fanless)" - whatever that means. That said, it's possible that specs page is just wrong. It says 32", gives a different contrast ratio to other sources, and claims it has Dolby Digital. So yes, I have a feeling those specs are just wrong. So, unsaying what I said, the specs of the SP43L2HX may be the same as the SP46L5HX. Or they may not.

I'll go away now.

(By the way, is the SP43L2HX available anyway other than Comet, which is selling it for £1999?)

9. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +189
  10. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Be nice to see ne DVI Hooked up.. thats where the LCD comes in handy... the 46" may be a good alternative to a 42" plasma..

Although having seen the 43 in curry's, I was not overly impressed with the contrast.. which looks bad when stood next to a CRT RPTV, but then at home, this may not be so 'important'...

And the short throw projection does give some focus issues in the corner, although in fairness so do all RPTV's I've seen, and CRT is probably sllightly worse in this area..

However, I didn;t just post to 'diss' the Samsung, I do like the look of the 43 DLP RPTV.. 1000:1 contrast.. much more like it.. wonder if it'll make it to these shores??

Not being a fan of plasma, although one or two models are approaching CRT's for cinematic presentation (v expensive), they excel in the digital domain however, but I just want to watch films mainly, with digital stuff (e.g. PC) every now and again, so these new LCD/DLP RPTVs amy start to offer a good middle ground between CRT RPTV's and plasma..

11. Maninblack

Maninblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The 46" and 56" are different model range to the 43 and respective 50+ model.

In the flesh the box is really nice imho.

Has some nice features, progessive, picture in picture etc.

They are short on the ground at the moment, will be good when there are some uk reviews?.

12. peejay

peejay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found a thread on avsforum.com:
    Samsung LCD rptv, SP46L5HX, Any good?

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you anything about whether it's any good. It's just a discussion about why Samsung release LCD rear-pros in Europe, and DLP rear-pros in the US.