1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Samsung Hi-Def 1080p Resolution DLP TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Suave, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
  2. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They talk of a cinema smooth engine is this a HD3 chip of some sort ?
    Is it a true 1080p vertical resolution ie one mirror serves only one pixel or a HD3 type solution where one mirror is used for two pixels by fast switching. :confused:

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    By this time next year all you early HD DLP RPTV adoptors with your tosh 46s, HD45s et all will be trying to offlead them on some poor sucker, whilst us procastinators will be watching our shiny new 1080p sets that cost just £750 :D

more likely we will still be procastinating....

4. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If as i suspect it's a HD3 type chip the true resolution will be less than a HD2+ chip
    Mind you this time next year there are bound to be better cheaper sets , won't worry me too much as i'm really happy with my set

5. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Guys - check out this thread over on the AVSForum for details of the new 2005 range of Samsung DLP's:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=493443&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

There is an excellent Gallary showing some amazing :thumbsup: images here too:

http://samsung.cerdonis.com/

Page one of the thread is kept up-to-date with a summary of new info that;s been posted (very organised!). Best guess so far is that these new sets will use a new xHD4 chipset with 10,000:1 contrast...

I can't decide if this new information and the prospect of 1080p is going to make me more or less decisive - i think i'll read some more and make a decision tomorrow... :suicide:

Cheers
    KableMan

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Well, I can't see a compelling reason to rush out and buy a current HD DLP given the relative scarcity of good material.

With sets like this on the horizon it looks like it is best to wait until around the end of the year when Sky HD is available or imminent, and so is HD-DVD (in one format or another).

There will be a much wider range of sets on offer, and competition will see some good pricing.

As well as improvements in resolution, contrast, etc, note that these sets also have some useful things like 2 HDMI inputs

7. Van300

Van300

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Loz, you are very wise to wait under the circumstances. This would be my advice to those with patience.

I had planned to wait till the end of the year before buying my RD50. My plan lasted about 8 days into 2005, hehe. I had spent too much time researching and through it convinced myself very well that I NEEDED the RD50. I had decided life's too short and besides, I would only have spent hours researching and stewing on it until I bought one.

However, I'm waiting for the HD DVD/Blu-Ray recording format to resolve itself before investing on a recordable DVD player- the Pio 575A will suffice for now.

Will you be able to wait till the end of the year? Good luck!

8. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kableman i'd advise caution with any new DLP set every set released so far in the UK has problems
    & they can take a month after people get the new sets before the problems emerge on the forums
    & if you rely on the hifi mags 6 months to never.Most of time probs are not a dealbreaker.
    The HD3 chip in the 46" sammys is prefered by some people to the HD2+ but i believe the majority prefer the HD2+
    The chip in the Samsung 6168 is a xHD3 this has a lower true resolution than the HD2+ & the 1080p
    does not give a HDMI output so its possible that the 1081i HDMI might offer the best picture.
    On the forum i saw they claimed a 10,000 to 1 contrast ratio ( i don't believe it most manufacturers measure in different ways this is probably a measurment before it pass's through the screen.)
    As regards the photo's there are some really nice looking sets BUT i was not impressed by the image quality the sets showed , there was one photo of a starfish at a resolution of 2580X1932 & a size of 720kb that did not show much detail. I posted a picture of my RD50 yesterday resolution 800 wide
    at 109kb that shows more detail see
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192250 post 15

I would not be too surprised if these sets turned out to have the best image quality but it's not a forgone conclusion,what is certain is something will emerge this year or next that will be better & remember they don't call it the bleeding edge of technology for nothing

9. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Van300 use your PC and start watching hidef now you won't regret it :smashin:

10. locky79

locky79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    ohhh.. im tempted to get a pc to view HD stuff but is there much quality difference if i go through the VGA? i have a bad feeling im gonna need more DVI-D ports or some sort of adapter for the future.

what do you guys think of the mini mac? i was thinking something like that is perfect but the only downside is perhaps software support and also i would like to play games on my RD50 :)

ohhh.. WoW Mmmm.... horde shall rule! :hiya:

11. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should get a good picture with vga but you would have to be half blind not to notice the improvement DVI gives you. The mini mac would not be powerfull enough to play hidef material AFAIK
    if u looked at my picture & was impressed look again at mrmoos post he seem's to have proven me wrong but i don't know what camera he used.
    Help's prove my point that a HTPC is the way forward though.
    If you take a picture at 4MP and shrink it down to 109 kb you can't expect it to look anywhere near as good as seeing it in the flesh you have to demo the sets u r interested in.

12. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +713
    Hi all again,

Just found out that LG also have new 1920 x 1080 High Definition DLP sets as well as Samsung (they look damn good too!) and Sharp too! I think I saw them on CNET.COM - well, it looks like things are going to get interesting on the RPTV DLP front!

Suave!

13. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    definitly

14. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks St_ve - I don't think I can wait a year and I agree that there's a reason its called "bleeding" edge. I'm very tempted by the 50" Samsung as its had fewer issues than most and 95% of my DVD collection is region 1 so the RD50 won't be any good for me - although I saw your picture post yesterday and I was very impressed! I'm into my PC too so I think a HTPC is the way for me to go. I've downloaded some of the WMV-HD demos and run them on my PC and they look very impressive. I have telewest so i'm waiting on their new PVR with HDMI which is due out mid-year.

I want to see the Sagem 45 up close too before I make a final decision.

So I want to jump on board the DLP boat sooner rather than later and try to buy the best I can for the money. I think the 1080p models will take a while to reach the UK and i'd have driven my wife mad by then - so for her sake I think I need to make a decision! It's a strategy I'd recommend - she's employed her family and mine to make me buy the Samsung! It's a strange situation to find yourself in when the boss wants you to spend more money :) hehe

Cheers
    KableMan

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kableman the Sammy is the one i'd have gone for if i had the money the set is a work of art looks gorgeous & if it ever broke you'd want to keep it as decoration it would make a fantastic fish tank in 20 years time :rotfl:
    Have seen reports of one or two problems with this set you prob know about the screen smear issue that's not very important but check out
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1479788&postcount=49

I have about 60% region 1 :r1: & the rest are region :r2: they play superbly with a PC DVI feed to the RD 50 i really need to get a more living room friendly HTPC as soon as funds pernit. :rolleyes:

16. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Van300

:D :D :D
    I am in the same boat as you, I saw this, and now i`ll need it, this is the so-called:
    :rotfl:
    addicted to HDTV-Syndrom
    :rotfl:
    Only people with high amounts of money can get help!!!! :cool: ;)

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hifiboom if u ever buy a set you will you ever get time to watch it you are all over the internet like a rash :rotfl:

:oops: i forgot you're going to get a HTPC so you'll be able to use your new set to surf the internet so that's allright then :D

18. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I've been living on these forums lately - so much so that I think I could stick with my old Toshiba rear pro. as I don't think my eyes will spot see the difference anymore!!