1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new samsung 50 dlp

Discussion in 'TVs' started by tim k, May 28, 2005.

1. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have read that we should be seeing the new improved sp50 with the hd3 chip??? if so does anyone know when this is??

as you may well have seen on my other threads im currently awaiting pixmania to sort out their delivery date so bytime this happens i may well go for the new model.

2. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    tim where did you read about the new sp50...it may just save my life lol

sheepb

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i was sure that i heard that the only reason the current sp50 is so cheap is to make way for the new model. I too am now very cautious about the currents hdmi problems, and i may well wait for another hd dlp.

4. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPF-HLR5087W

this is the new sp 50........the HLR5087W, i dont know much about it, but it's obviously an improved version of the sp50.........your best bet is to go for the
    HLR56......the larger 56'' pedestal version, if it's cheap enough :eek: :eek:

5. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well visually it looks identical, but what lays beneath the beast? and when should we expect it?

with the iminent release of the pv500 plasma there is an array of quality hd screens to compete for my hard earned.

6. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i have seen the pv500 running hi-def via component and...its nice but no sp50!!!
    but this new toy has got my eye as tim says anyone know what the difference is with the new model???

sheep

7. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the only thing you can do, is to download the specs of both tvs and compare them side by side...i think it has a more advanced chip/cinema smooth/ next generation dlp etc....i expect it is, simply because; its a newer more advanced model........BUT IT'S NOT AS ADVANCED as the HLR 56, that's for sure :smashin:

the 56'' is the 1080p (which we dont need and cant view yet anyway)...so is this one a waste of time? yes, it's about 5 years too early.....but even so, it'll still be better than the sp 50 because IT'S ALL UPGRADED.

8. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUT if you dont want 1080p or that pedestal, then the one to go for is the traditional looking HLR5667W.........this one is as good as the new pedestal 50 coming out soon.

plus you get an extra 6'' too :D :D....this tv looks miles better than the crappy photo on dealtime, in my opinion it looks as good as the pedestal (with the right base).

all 3 of these tv's are superior to plasma and will also be superior to the existing sp 50 (according to American forums).....but the king of the bunch is this 1080p
    56'' pedestal..

so it's a choice between 3...... i fancy the HLR5667W, but i'm not sure either way

9. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    all i want is a set that isnt likley to have any green tinge issues and as its technically second generation im hopeful all probs will be solved.....plus i will have a newer telly than you lot lololol :)))

sheep

10. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

i think green tinge is maybe bad luck on your part, i havent read about green tinge on american forums..........you'll get a better tv but nothing in life is guaranteed :eek: :mad: :(

the smart thing to do is to wait a few months before purchasing, just in case these new sammys are like the toshibas......but i think from what i've read....THEY'RE EXCELLENT! :D :clap: :clap:

I'll but at about xmas time, look on american forums etc....they've been out a few weeks now...i havent read anything negative yet

11. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    what are the odds of three samsungs all showing bad green tinges all seen by several people not just me....???trouble is im getting obsessed now cant eat green beans,apples,broccoli etc keep trying to adjust their colour lol,but seriously will check out next gen samsung and see what happens

sheep

12. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

ok, i've just read your postings about this green tinge........very worrying, but what can i say, because all dlp's seem to have their own faults...but the sammy is by far the best, lets just hope and prey this fault isn't in the new tv as well.

but sod's law says, ``if they've solved this fault, then there will be another fault``. because they all seem to have problems. :eek: :thumbsdow.

the techology is too advanced for reliable and stable manufacture, these tv's are too temperamental for assembly lines......we'd be better off with the old CRT, mine is as good now as 12 years ago............but the CRT is too small a screen and way too bulky, but the reliability/ pq is still the best.

why do you think i havent purchased yet ? because i dont think our current tv's are good enough....might not be for another 5 years or so.

of all the tv's i've seen so far, the CRT has the best picture and by a long way too...yes i realise this is because the sammy isn't set up correctly, but it doesn't half make me wonder :rolleyes:

all the tv's look crap in comparison to the Pioneer/ panny CRT 36'', but the worst i've ever seen are the dlp's....in Curry's............good grief, the Sammy looks total garbage....the picture is appauling!

why is the DLP only good when it's set up correctly? it should be good when it isn't as well......like the CRT is, i.e; with a crap feed it looked excellent....this i have to say; worries me :eek: :eek:

because the sammy 50 didn't just look bad, it looked like a knackered out 20 year old CRT.....

what worries me most, is they seem to break down after a week or so...i can imagine going downstairs now and seeing green tinges etc..........but my old CRT.........NEVER, i trust it totally!

yes i realise you have to see a DLP set up correctly......even so, i shudder from a cold chill, if you see what i mean :eek: !

but what about all the satisfied people that never post in here ?.........i think you'll find that people only visit here with problems or are hoping to buy in the near future like myself..........the breakdown rate in reality might only be 5 % of all sales.........this forum might not reflect real life, because i've read similar postings about CRT too........but mine is excellent and Phillips are supposed to be crap :D :D :D...........NO IT'S LIKE HERE, just a few people complaining.......they shout the loudest!

you might be ok with another sammy..........it's just that this third one you've brought comes from the same faulty batch, chances are it will..........who knows!

13. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hey Guys

I've posted this link before but check it out as there's loads of information about the 2005 range of Samsung DLP's including the 5087...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=493443

50" -- HLR5087W (50”, May 2005, $3,899):

* 720p (1280x720) Resolution
    * Cinema Smooth Generation 720P (Light Engine), DNIe (Video Enhancement)
    * Anti-glare Matte Screen Finish
    * Inputs: 1 HDMI, 2 Component Video, 3 S-Video, 3 Composite [NO VGA/PC]
    * Input/Output: [NO IEEE 1394]
    * Digital Audio Out (optical)
    * ATSC Tuner / NTSC Tuner, Digital Cable Ready with CableCARD
    * TV Guide Electronic Program Guide (GEMSTAR TV Guide + GOLD Demo)
    * AnyNET (A Serial Connection Between Samsung Components That Allows Integrated Control Via Your Remote Control)
    * 30 Watts, Internal Speakers
    * DLP Chip: no information available (HD2+ (.8" 720p) --- neither Samsung nor TI are discussing chips, this is our best guess given available information)
    * DLP Chip Note: TI has a new 2005 version of the HD2+, we are calling it the HD2++ (.8" 720p); it is not known if this chip is being used in this HDTV, but general feeling is that it is NOT
    * DLP Chip Operation: 1280x720 mirrors, each mirror produces 1 pixel displayed on the screen yielding a 1280x720 final resolution; pixels are rectangular shaped and don't overlap, individual pixels are visible on the screen (Unconfirmed)
    * Contrast Ratio: 2500:1
    * Color Wheel: 7 Segment
    * NO Center Channel Shelf

They have the owners manual and spec sheet on this thread too. They are currently guessing HD2+ not HD3 (which is good in my view as the HD3 is not a superior chipset - just smaller and cheaper for the manufacturer to produce from what I've read). I think the TV listed on dealtime IS the US model and not the UK model so until its spec gets published we won't know for sure.

As for the green tint well I think soni has identified a solution - which has effectively eliminated it on my TV (although my green tint was only slight and poor source induced). Although I have notice that upscaling poor quality DVDs will increase noise and the green tint - by leaving these sources at their native 576p or 480p res they look green tint free like the component connection. You should check it sheep :smashin:

Cheers
    KableMan

14. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the new 56" pedastal has hd4 chip!??? crazy i mean if anything that shows that we should wait a few months for all this to calm down doesnt it?