New Sammy R87 or Sony S2530? also do I need a 1080P LCD?

MrMav11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok need to choose a new 40/42" LCD TV

down to these I think unless osmeone knows better ones?

Sammy R74 (700 with 1 yr warranty)
Sammy R87 (£865 with 3 yr warranty)
Sony S2530 (£820 with 1 year)

Is Sony blows the lot as its a Sony? how about the new Sammy (R87) is it much better than the older Sammy (R74)?

This is about my budget as I also want a LCD TV stand black+chrome and they are about £100.

Also do I need a 1080P TV? I will be keeping the TV for 6+ years hopefully, I have just got V+ HD installed, although most watching will be with SD stuff for now I think, also got a Xbox 360 for games playing.
Its gonna be in a normal lounge room, about 3-4M away for watching (do I need a bigger TV-hope not)?

Any help I hope to order tomorrow, I havent seen any reviews for the new Sammy R87 though, the older one got goodf reviews though and it should be better shouldn't it?

Or is Sony better anyway as its a Sony?

cheers

please anyone Im tearing my hair out!!! :(

Also has anone got the new Sammys yet? are they now widely available? specifically the 40" R87, R88 models?

cheers

please anyone Im tearing my hair out!!! :(

Also has anone got the new Sammys yet? are they now widely available? specifically the 40" R87, R88 models?

cheers

Sorry I can't help you on the new R87/88 models, haven't arrived in Spain yet. But I've seen the R74 and sony sets, in plenty of stores. If you are going to watch ANY standard definition TV, at all, avoid the R74 (or indeed any Samsung not of the newest generation) like the plague. Sony's S-series usually look OK on SD to me, but among the current sets I think the V2500 is the better value. Which is soon to be replaced by the D3000 series with 100/120Hz - worthwhile I will wager, but definitely will cost you a bit extra!

CHFels

mmm ok so the 74 is definately out then, becaause of the not much HD out lot will still be SD watching.

Anyone know of the new R88 series then please?

I think the Sony V series will be too much, so can you coment more on the S2530 series please?

cheers

You don't need 1080p. At that distance and that size the difference will be negligible.

I would suggest if you can feed in 1080p and you want to have the tv for 6 years, then not buying a full HD tv would be regretted.
If you can afford it, buy a 1080p set.

mmm ok so the 74 is definately out then, becaause of the not much HD out lot will still be SD watching.

Anyone know of the new R88 series then please?

I think the Sony V series will be too much, so can you coment more on the S2530 series please?

cheers

If you're after a 40" then according to various sources on this forum the 40S2530 is the same set(albeit with different styling) as the 40V2500. So a bit of a no brainer really - unless you really prefer the styling of the V2500 to the tune of £200ish

It's certainly put me in a quandry as I had decided on the tosh 37WLT68 but with the 40S2530 in my price range I'm sorely tempted. Ah well at last I've got 2 months to decide. Oh sh*te there'll probably be new models to tempt me by then:confused:

I've just brought a 32V2500 arrived last Saturday and I am very impressed even standard definition Sky blows my old CRT out of the water which I didn't expect at all! after reading these forums for month's I was dreading making the purchase but I'm please to say I am pleasantly supprised! :thumbsup: As previous post I dont think there is a vast difference between the V and S series.

If you're after a 40" then according to various sources on this forum the 40S2530 is the same set(albeit with different styling) as the 40V2500. So a bit of a no brainer really - unless you really prefer the styling of the V2500 to the tune of £200ish

It's certainly put me in a quandry as I had decided on the tosh 37WLT68 but with the 40S2530 in my price range I'm sorely tempted. Ah well at last I've got 2 months to decide. Oh sh*te there'll probably be new models to tempt me by then:confused:

Moby, I cant believe you just wrote that and put me in a quandry too! Had no idea the Sony 40S series was pretty much the same as the V, and there I was thinking I want a 37" so Tosh is the way to go. Decisions, decisions... You have to love it tho. Dont know what i will do once Ive actually bought my LCD!

how is the V the same as the S then? is it the same Specs? and the same PQ from users opinions?

Is it a no brainer though because its a Sony? will it even be better tyhn the recnetly released Sammy R87 though, when did the Sony get released? surely the new technology in the Sammy R87 will be better? or not?

I asked ED t price match Dixons and they wouldntthey only lowered it a bit and then they wouldn't give me the 3 year warranty for £20!! so it looks like its the price as quoted

it does seem like the previous samsung tvs have received very bad comments for its performance with sd. My question is how would the new r87/r88 perform if i didnt use it for sd at all, ie i would use it for xbox360, upscaling dvd player and pc input....... how have the old samsungs performed with non-sd sources?

I imagine that most HD TVs perform well with a HD source. But for me SD wil be standard for a while yet, freeview V+ Virging watching, DVD playing etc.

Only HD I have access is Xbox 360, and some selected HD programmes on V+ service.

Will the new R87/R88 be better then on the SD, I think Ive decided that I wont go for the older R74, and its between the Sony S2530 and the Sammy R87/R88 as they are about the same price

a 1080p TV is only going to be good on a 1080p input i.e. blu-ray or HD DVD. If as most people your viewing is going to be freeview or at best sky HD(720p/1080i) then a 1080p TV will disappoint. if you feed a standard 576 SD broadcast into a 1080p panel it IS poor and inferior to a standard 720p/1080i TV. please be warned.

a 1080p TV is only going to be good on a 1080p input i.e. blu-ray or HD DVD. If as most people your viewing is going to be freeview or at best sky HD(720p/1080i) then a 1080p TV will disappoint. if you feed a standard 576 SD broadcast into a 1080p panel it IS poor and inferior to a standard 720p/1080i TV. please be warned.

Ok so the Sony is a 1080i max, and the Virgin V+ can do 1080 wide whatever that is.

I wont be getting Blue-ray soon, maybe HD DVD (add on for Xbox 360 maybe in a year)

So feeding a standard 576 SD broadcast into the Sony 1080i panel the results will lokk ok will they?

Has anyone played a Xbox 360 on a Sony S2530? whats it like? any ghosting? its just the Sammys have a "Gaming Mode" dunno if this is a gimmick and is just in essence a "user setup of the TV settings" is it?

cheers

how is the V the same as the S then? is it the same Specs? and the same PQ from users opinions?

Is it a no brainer though because its a Sony? will it even be better tyhn the recnetly released Sammy R87 though, when did the Sony get released? surely the new technology in the Sammy R87 will be better? or not?

I asked ED t price match Dixons and they wouldntthey only lowered it a bit and then they wouldn't give me the 3 year warranty for £20!! so it looks like its the price as quoted

The main difference between the S and V used to be "Live Colour Creation" what ever that doe's! the V had it and the S didn't but if you look at the Sony web site it shows the 40S2530 as having "Live Colour Creation" but other screen sizes in the S2530 range as not having it, either way many people say they cant tell the difference in picture between the 2 models.

I would suggest if you can feed in 1080p and you want to have the tv for 6 years, then not buying a full HD tv would be regretted.
If you can afford it, buy a 1080p set.

I agree with this.
There will be no more higher resolution than 1080p within the next 10 years.
But if you buy 720p you always second to 1080p. All broadcasts will push their capability to 1080p.

About me background:
I came from 42WLT66, it was dead and got a full refund. So my eyes and brain was still in a cast of Toshiba when I bought Sony V2500 as a replacement.

And to my surprise Sony picture quality is a total crap compare to my previous Toshiba.

I saw HALO all over boundaries of any object in Sony, not only on letters, moving faces had double lines contour even in the lowest contrast and shrapness settings, and collour was more blurry than my Tosh.
I spent 3 days playing with setting but didn't help.
Also the Sony speakers was a cheap crap compare to Toshiba, even my son had a bad comment about the speakers.
All of this became clear because my mind and my eyes still retaining the momentum of watching Toshiba everyday. (sorry to the Sony fanatics, I could not help but to compare).
And the 42WLT66 is cheaper than 40V2500, and they both will be phased out soon, replaced by new models. So I was expecting a comparable class in picture quality, but apparently not.
The worse was I didn't buy from internet so I could not return it by distance selling.

When I lost my Toshiba I moaned all over the place in 42WLT66 thread, I was mad.... crazy mad to Toshiba...
but now I wish I could get my Toshiba back. :(

I don't know about Samsung, tbh I can not comment.

__

Can anyone with the Sony S2530 comment on how it handles football, fast motion etc? Any smearing, motion blur?

Can anyone with the Sony S2530 comment on how it handles football, fast motion etc? Any smearing, motion blur?

I did a review here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460021&page=2&highlight=s2500+series

I was disappointed with the aspects you ask about. I have grown so that I hardly notice them but that is not the point. Having said all that I would still recommend the TV and believe that motion handling is a problem with ALL LCDs, but seems to depend on the viewer as to how sensitive they are to it.
For instance I have heard people say that they own TV XXX and it "has no motion blur". These are TVs I have seen at friends' houses and saw plenty without even looking for it.
I don't know whether people just like to justify their purchase or have less sensitive eyes. From my experience I can see motion blur on all types of tvs. In my view CRT>Plasma>LCD in terms of blur but it is there on all.
Anyway, my review goes into more detail with regards the s2530.:smashin:

Wish someone with a Samsung LE40R87 would answer, or I could find a review somewhere, I keep swinging between these 2 TVs and dont know what to do.

thanks for the link, are the 37 and 40" models going to be the same as the 32" reviewed there? I mean it should have everything the same but the screen size yeh? or will the review change becasue of the scren size, ie PQ may be a little worse on a larger screen size?

Its a bit frustrating that there isnt any reviews on the Sammys, I am now edging towards the R87 again, dont know why, but am a little nervous with no reviews out.

I bought a mag yesterday, "What Plasma and LCD TV" but it only has the R74 26" and 40" R74 reviews in.

Does anyone know why the KDL40S2530 has shot up by around £100 in the last couple of days @ Currys,Dixons & Comet ?

I've now got my eye on this set does it mean they'll soon have a super sale & say it's £200 off :smashin: or some other reason :thumbsdow

I picked up the Sony kdl s2530 from costco for £822 aound the 9th April, I've been quite impressed with this TV. I thought i might have had a problem with the screen blanking through HDMI, but since the 1st day i set this up, it only happened the once and hasn't happened since! so all in all, really pleased!

I noticed the increase on the Sony S2530 to, it also done it in other online shops to. It was between this and the Sammy 40" R87 for me so the descision was made for me - the Sammy waiting till Mon for delivery

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom