1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Sagem HD-D45 - first impressions

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Den_Lyon, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Den_Lyon

Den_Lyon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was a little disappointed to start with..
    There was a huge lipsync problem with Sky (connected via my AV amp)
    even with a 5ms delay on the centre channel, it was horrendous..

However, after 2 hours, the problem disappeared ! I'll discover tonight if this
    was a bedding in problem, or a warming up problem (I hope it isn't the latter)

We are sitting too close to the screen .. (230cm) so I'll have to re-arrange the room a bit it looks like over 300cm will be good.. with 400cm being ideal

The screen is sitting on a traditional TV cabinet.. at 70cm high.. this is far too high, and at the angle we are viewing from , the brightness of the screen varies between top and botton .

Having got the negetives out of the way....

It's boomin' marvelous ;-)

Link to picture from viewing position

:clap:

I will need to work out the best cabling setup, but for the moment, all the componets link into my Yamaha AV amp, with video and S-video along with unessecary Audio left and right into a scart into AV1 connector on the reverse.

2. snaffler

snaffler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first got my HD45 I had weird lipsync issues too - I RTFM and found the way around it...it's caused by the fact that the DLP processing isn't instantaneous.

The best way I found to remove *all* lipsync issues is to run audio through the HD45 for all sources. If you do this the TV adds a delay to the audio to compensate for the DLP processing time. When you take the output from the digital audio out (it's a co-ax) on the rear of the HD45 and use that to feed your amp you shouldn't have any more lipsync problems, or need to add a delay to any of the channels.

I also have the optical out from my DVD player (which is on the DVI input) going into the digital audio out (again a co-ax) on the HD45.

3. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just seen 1 in john lewis OH MY GOD is all that i can say roll on x mas when ill be getting mine!!!!!!! are there rainbow effects on this tv more pics please

4. PsychicLemur

PsychicLemur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    After a load of experimentation, I've found a delay of 20ms or so is about right. It would be interesting to find out from Sagem exactly how much delay they reckon the set introduces (they must know!).

I'd recommend applying the delay to all channels, not just the centre speaker, or you might get some odd effects! Single speaker delays are generally used to allow for speaker placement within the room...

5. wishy

wishy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sent this to Snaffler but maybe someone out there will have the definitive answer to this query :confused:

Cheers all

6. snaffler

snaffler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wishy, if the Sagem isn't switched on it doesn't pass audio through (reasonable, really, it's a digital signal after all) so you wouldn't be able to play CDs with the TV off.

I can't comment on whether your Denon will be happy with two outputs while playing a movie - can't see why it wouldn't be though.

As for using a delay to over-come lipsync issues, I'd trust the Sagem first - after all, it knows *exactly* how much delay is introduced by the DLP. Let it do the work...

7. TheGaffer

TheGaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Snaffler, I'm a bit confused. There is only one digital audio input (SPDIF IN) on the HD45, so how can you connect all sources (e.g. Sky, DVD player and digital tuner)? Also, how are you connecting the optical output of your DVD player to the coaxial digital audio input - are you using an optical -> coaxial converter box?

Cheers.

8. snaffler

snaffler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, my last post wasn't clear - yes, I have an optical convertor inbetween; I've had a few different components involved in the last few weeks but it's fine with a convertor.

To clarify, the Sagem seems to automatically put the delay into the sound on scart inputs where the sound is carried by the scart (e.g. Sky in my case). If, on the other hand, you run the audio separately, directly from the device to the amp, you need to think about introducing a delay some other way.

So, when I'm watching Sky, the sound is going INTO the HD45 via the scart, but out of the HD45 to my amp via the digital coax out on the Sagem. When I'm watching a DVD, the sound is doing INTO the HD45 via the co-ax and to my amp via the digital coax out on the HD45 - I don't switch sources on the amp, I just switch inputs on the Sagem.

This also means that the sound works correctly with picture in picture.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,032
    'So, when I'm watching Sky, the sound is going INTO the HD45 via the scart, but out of the HD45 to my amp via the digital coax out on the Sagem'

But that doesn't work using the optical output on Sky+ though for e.g. DD on the movie channels, would it be best sending the Sky+ optical output to the Sagem and from there to my amp? But then I guess I'll have a problem if I want to watch Sky+ e.g. a movie on my projector!
    Also how do you do this if like me you've got your HTPC with a coaxial digital output hooked up to both a projector and the Sagem? Seems it's going to be very difficult to ensure audio sync on both the Sagem and the projector! Never easy is it...

Andy

10. TheGaffer

TheGaffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification. My DVD player (Samsung HD945) has a digital coaxial output but I haven't invested in an amp yet (thinking of getting the Yamaha RX-V1500/2500). So, if I connect the digital coaxial output of the DVD player to the SPDIF in on the TV, will the sound be output to the TV's speakers, or is it just output to the SPDIF out and hi fi sockets (I haven't got the TV yet so I'm just wondering whether there is any point in buying a digital coax cable)? If you are using the TV's speakers is there actually any point in using the digital sound outputs from your DVD player - is the sound actually gonna be any better then just connecting the analogue audio outputs of the DVD player to the PC2 (DVI) sound inputs on the TV? Thanks.

11. Den_Lyon

Den_Lyon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses here.. especially snaffler..
    I have invested in 2 x Profigold oxipure Digital Co-ax cables (PDG4000) for the audio link from DVD player (Pioneer DV717) to the HD D45 then out to my Yamaha DSP A2 (via SP/DIF in and out)

and a Profigold PGV7500 RGB only scart link for the DVD - TV connection (as the Pioneer doesn't have component out)

looking at the audio handling on the HD-D45 it looks like I will have to manually tell the TV which input it is going to process the delay on for output via SP/DIF out to the AV amp.

12. nick.brown

nick.brown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read the info on the lipsync issues but am still not sure what I need to do to resolve the issue.

Yes, SKY+ via a Scart socket is fine, no lip sync issues at all.

However, I have a Sony DAV S888 all in one system (DVD /Amp) which has a Digital in (Optical) connection but no coaxial.

At the moment, I have the SKY+ box connected to the Sony system using a Optical cable. This results in a lipsync issue. The DVD also has the same issue.

Is there any way this can be resolved (both the DVD & SKY connection) bearing in mind the Sony only has a Optical connection. If there is a solution what cables / adapters will I require.

13. overlord

overlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Worth checking out Samsung DLP tv £1951 delivered here http://www.qed-uk.com/q?i=12jFPr3Z0-7W&vp=6&bg=173&bp=50l7s&bi=0 better still see if JL can pricematch!

14. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Unfortunately there is no way to directly compensate for the delay from the DVD, as you are using an all-in-one system. Using the analogue sound from from the DAV S888's scart output would work if you listen through the TV's speakers.

To correct the Sky sound, you need one of the new delay boxes from Felston (see the news article on the HCC website). This is a simpler solution than converting optical to coaxial, then back again (which would be needed to feed the optical digital from Sky+ into the TV).

Bear in mind though that instead of paying out for a delay box, you could instead put the money towards a new AV receiver/amp with built-in lip-sync delay compensation. This would solve both problems. Just a thought though mate.