1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New RP TV for XMAS!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by laurel, Dec 5, 2001.

1. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone

I've finally managed to wear down the wife and convince her that we really DO need to upgrade our existing 29" SONY in time for xmas!

I've narrowed down my initial list to the following:

1. SONY 44" KP44PS2 £2,275 - expensive, but I have been very happy with my existing set (5 years old and absolutely no problems).

2. PANA 47" TX47PT10 - £1,940 - Large and cheaper than the SONY. I've seen the 42" version (TX42PT10) and this looked the business.

I initially had the new TOSH 42" (42WH18B) and SONY 41" (HP41DS1) on the last, but ruled out the TOSH due to the apparent high number of problems people have experienced (both with the set and after sales service). The SONY does have the digital tuner but no 100hz or other fancy processing, and although I at first thought this would not be a problem, I can really see the flickering on edges when I have viewed this model in the stores.

So... I'm thinking maybe the PANA 47" and use the extra cash to upgrade the A/V reciever!

What are peoples views? particularly on the new PANA? I've searched this forum and the net for details but can't find any further info. Anybody got this model? Any problems?

Thanks for the advice guys - all help appreciated (£2k is a lot to spend and will take much sucking-up to make up for! I need to be happy with the purchase).

2. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any comments guys?

Anybody got the SONY or the PANA?

The money is burning a hole in my pocket!!!

I have to move quick - there is talk of buying a new fridge instead as I can't make up my mind!!!

Cheers

3. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems no one has either of these two sets eh? :eek:

I cannot believe that - your just ignoring the newby aren't you?? :mad:

Come on - gimme a break - what's the verdict on the two sets:

SONY KP44PS2 against PANA TX47PT10 ???

4. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Laurel......

I'm a newbie too and my first post also got zero reply (I've posted a new thread to see if that gets any response).

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid (I know ziltch), but you're not alone in the no response club!

Good luck,
    Adele.

5. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry Adele - I've dropped you a response - us "newbies" should stick together!

I think I'm gonna plump for the Panasonic - I have failed to find any negative comments on this set which could mean no one has a problem or I'll be the only guy with one (which is kinda cool!). Either way I win! :D

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Laurel,

I think the lack of response is probably related to the fact that

a) Panasonic is new
    b) Panasonic does not appear to have been tested by magz yet
    so people are a little wary
    c) Panasonic don't seem to be pushing these sets very hard !

The Sony KP44 has a few comments scattered around this forum, most pretty good - but then I would hope so for 2200 ! Those that have involved the Panasonic 42PT10 have also been good..one of the guys even pasted a picture of his setup ! He has no probs with his set on all inputs and and both PAL and NTSC.

I have seen the 42PT10 in the shops and reckon it looks great - but then I thought that about the Tosh 40WH before I started my year long battle with all four of them !

Personally, I would check that you steer clear of the older 47PT1 (I think I got the 1 and the 10 the right way around)..they're being sold off a bit cheaper now, but I always found them rather dull and unengaging.

Good luck. I have my sights on the 42PT10 too - but am waiting until after Xmas.... If you get one, let us know how it goes !!

Cheers
    Daz

I've not seen a 47PT10

7. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Daz

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

You could be right about the reasons for lack of response - maybe I will be the only guy to own one!

I've seen the posts on the Sony 44, I do like the Sony's (I have one at the moment) and there doesn't seem to be overwhelming problems with the 44. However... the Pana is bigger! and costs less! :D

Joking aside - I'd always put Pana up there with the best, I've had Pana VCR's for years with no probs. So my thoughts were that I'm probably not sacrificing anything here, just saving a bit of cash (lets face it - Sony are generally overpriced in the mistaken belief that we mortals will assume they have to be the best because they cost more!).

Thanks for the tip on the PT1 I'll watch out for that.

I've not seen the 47PT10 yet either - I'm desperately trying to find a dealer with one on display before parting with the mulla. If I fail on this I'll most likely go for the 42" version.

Maybe I should call Pana and see if they know of a dealer with one in stock??

I'll certainly post back my findings once I get the beauty in the lounge hooked up to my Tosh SD210E !

Have a good one.

Laurel.

8. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an update for those interested?

After much searching, did not manage to find ANYONE with a TX47 in stock. Phoned Panasonic who informed me that there are none in the country at the moment. Delivery is expected on 21st December but this is to fulfill existing orders. Next delivery expected end Jan/early Feb !

With this in mind, I've plumped for the TX42 (can't wait). Ordered from qed-uk at £1596.81 with free delivery (in stock).

With the money I've saved, decided to purchase Marantz SR4200 to replace ageing Kenwood receiver. Strangely, qed do not appear to list any Marantz gear and speaking with them put this down to availability issues!??

SR4200 ordered through empiredirect for £269.95 (in stock).

All this little lot should arrive next Tuesday 18th.

Lets just hope it all works!

Cheers

Laurel

9. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well

TV arrived as planned, but had some issues (do these things every go smoothly?). I have detailed my experience under the www.qed-uk.com thread.

First impressions of the set - fantastic.

After playing around with the auto configured stations managed to get quite a decent picture and all terrestrial channels.

Have reduced the brightness/contrast from factory default and after letting the set warm up for about 2 hours - had a fiddle with the convergence. This turns out to be pretty straight forward and has a nine point setup which seems to give good results.

I found the best method was to align the green gun (using a simple cross pattern aligned with two small central markings on the chassis). then check the red/blue alignment over all nine points.

The on-board sound is pretty uninspiring (Nicam only with optional "spacial" effect), however I class this as a plus - as I never use the on-board sound I hopefully saved some mulla on the expense of onboard digital decoder/amps.

Have not spotted any obvious picture flaws yet, but I've only had about half a day to play around so may have to report back on this one.

Cheers

Laurel

PS. Am I now the only guy on these forums to actualy own a TX42PT10??

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Laurel,

I think there are one or two others around here with that set.
    Encouraging first report though..... I'm hoping to buy one of these early in the new year so I'm very interested to know how you get on with it !

Good luck - hope it works out !

Cheers
    Daz

11. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Daz

I'll keep the report coming...

So far I'm smugly thinking I made a good choice!

Cheers

Laurel

12. highisland

highisland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laurel

Little Question from a complete Newbie.

Your first 2 options the Sony 44 and the Pana 47 were because of the size. But you plumped for the Pana 42 eventually.

I'm looking to buy an RPTV and your 2 first choices are pretty much what I had in mind.

Can I ask what made you go for the smaller 42inch model? Was it just a case of the 47inch not being available?

TIA for any reply.

highisland

13. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Highisland

Just got back from hols today - and someone posts!

In answer to your question - yes it was the availability issue that swung the decision - that and the fact I could not find anywhere to actually view the TX47 (I am not willing to spend £2k without viewing the goods first).

I can confirm however, that the TX42 and TX47 are actually the same internals - it is just the screen size that differs.

I had compared the TX42 and the Sony 44 in the showroom and the difference in size was not noticeable. Certainly for me also there was nothing to choose picture quality wise. As an added bonus - the Pana is £500 cheaper.

I've managed to play around quite a bit over the holiday and am preparing to post a few notes.

I am very happy with the set so far.

Cheers for now.

Laurel

14. highisland

highisland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laurel

Thanks for your quick reply and hope you had a good holiday.

I managed to pop in to a Dixons superstore near me and take a look at what was available. I've never really seen these RPTVs before but they all look great. I know a Dixons isn't the ideal place to evaluate these but the Sony stuck out for picture quality. There were a few Toshs and Panas but the labels had been removed and I couldn't work out which was which for all of them.

One thing I'm curious to know is I was looking at a 4:3 next to a widescreen both showing Buffy and the 4:3 cut off the sides. If I was to view one of those in widescreen mode would I get the full picture? I have a Sony 28" at home. Does that cut off the sides? Perhaps it'd be better to watch it on widescreen mode. Maybe I'll try it out later when I get home.

Anyway, there's no urgent rush to buy one so let us know how it goes Laurel.

Cheers.

15. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Highisland

The Sony has noise reduction gubbins on as standard which tends to clear up the messy feed a bit in the store. The Panasonic also has a noise reduction facility - but this needs to be switched on using the handset. That's probably why you think the Sony looked better.

Regarding the 4:3 bit - my old Sony 29" had this option also - and feeding from my DVD set to output 16:9 does give you a wider image albeit losing the top and bottom of the screen to black bars (which I did not like and preferred to lose the sides).

As far as I know, certainly with terrestrial broadcasts all you end up doing with this mode is scrunching the top and bottom of the picture. At least in my experience I could not obtain any more width.

Cheers

Laurel

16. yakko

yakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Laurel,
    I'm finally going to order the Panasonic, just before I go ahead, any issues now that you've had the set a while??

Thanks
    Yakko

17. laurel

laurel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yakko

I've dropped a line on your new trhread.

Cheers

Laurel