• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New router virgin fibre

RSRAVI

Prominent Member
Hello there is there a better router to replace the superhub 2

All the routers I have seen don't have fibre connection

If they say they donuts a Ethernet port confused
Is this even possible .... Also is it a easy change over is need be thank you in advance thanks

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
It depends what you mean by better. Regardless you have to use the SH2 provided by Virgin but you can switch it into modem only mode and then use another router that has a WAN ethernet port on it.

Virgin is not fibre optic to the house, it is fibre optic to the green box then coaxial cable (like satellite cable) from the box to your house and router.

Yes it is easy to change over and requires a change to the SH2 you can do yourself and then configuration of the new router to set up as you require.

The question is what is the problem that you have that you want to cure. It might not be fixed by just replacing the router.

RSRAVI

Prominent Member
It depends what you mean by better. Regardless you have to use the SH2 provided by Virgin but you can switch it into modem only mode and then use another router that has a WAN ethernet port on it.

Virgin is not fibre optic to the house, it is fibre optic to the green box then coaxial cable (like satellite cable) from the box to your house and router.

Yes it is easy to change over and requires a change to the SH2 you can do yourself and then configuration of the new router to set up as you require.

The question is what is the problem that you have that you want to cure. It might not be fixed by just replacing the router.
Hello thanks for the info

I want better wifi coverage plus faster Ethernet ports as I am getting poor wifi connection at the moment
Don't think the super hub 2 is that good to be honest

Yep it's on fibre cable in the house just to the green / brown

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
Hello thanks for the info

I want better wifi coverage plus faster Ethernet ports as I am getting poor wifi connection at the moment
Don't think the super hub 2 is that good to be honest

Yep it's on fibre cable in the house just to the green / brown

Wifi coverage might not be improved by a new router and as many other threads will witness it is not a guaranteed cure and the SH2 coverage is ok (some people have had drop outs though).

Check to see if you are overlapping on the Wifi Channels with your neighbour using one of the wireless monitoring progams like Inssider or Wifi Analyzer as that will give you an idea of what's operating there. Additionally you might want to try connecting to the 5GHz service on the SH2 as those channels have less interference at the moment from you neighbours.

It depends on where your router is, mine for example is the corner of my house and so I actually have a couple of WAP much nearer the middle to give better coverage. The SH2 itself would give me 80% coverage of the house. Each WAP point would again give a similar coverage.

The Ethernet ports on the SH2 are gigabit ports anyway so you won't get faster than that anyway on a consumer router.

RSRAVI

Prominent Member
Hi I was told they are not gigs ports just standard 100mb ports ?????

Oh thanks I try those apps you mentioned
Are they easy to use and free downloads thanks

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
No they are definitely Gigabit enabled. You should be able to check if you have something directly connected to the port as depending on the OS in the network properties. If you are connected to a powerline adaptor it won't tell you the router port speed.

Yes those apps are free though I think Inssider will tell you the virtues of purchasing the "pro" version each time you start. Ideally want to install on a laptop\mobile device and then you can walk round your house watching the signal strength in real time. There is generally no configuration they just work.

RSRAVI

Prominent Member
No they are definitely Gigabit enabled. You should be able to check if you have something directly connected to the port as depending on the OS in the network properties. If you are connected to a powerline adaptor it won't tell you the router port speed.

Yes those apps are free though I think Inssider will tell you the virtues of purchasing the "pro" version each time you start. Ideally want to install on a laptop\mobile device and then you can walk round your house watching the signal strength in real time. There is generally no configuration they just work.

Thanks I have to check inssider is trial version only ????????

Unless am looking in in the wrong area thanks

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom