New router to replace HH

Earlstreetblue

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question, about replacing the HH with another router.

Is it just a case of plugging it in and hope it works, or are there any settings that need to be changed?

TIA

Most routers will detect the ADSL network settings but you will need to enter a User Name like [email protected] with no Password.

Most routers, off the shelf, have wireless security off so f you are using any wireless devices you will need to set that up.

Why are you replacing the Home Hub and do you have BT Vision.

Why are you replacing the Home Hub and do you have BT Vision.

Its not very good ( I know you'll disagree with me and I respect your reasons why). 1 PC connected to the HH and I have two laptops, one will connect and the other, untill recently refuses to. Have tried the one that refuses to work with the HH on other networks, and it works without any problems. Go figure.

So hopefully then, I can change it to any "n,g" router and providing I input my username & password it should work?

No I don't have BT Vision.

Its not very good ( I know you'll disagree with me and I respect your reasons why). 1 PC connected to the HH and I have two laptops, one will connect and the other, untill recently refuses to. Have tried the one that refuses to work with the HH on other networks, and it works without any problems. Go figure.

So hopefully then, I can change it to any "n,g" router and providing I input my username & password it should work?
The answer to your question is yes. Use the User Name that i suggested and no password. Ensure that it has an ADSL modem built in.

However, you are correct that I will disagree with: "Its not very good." I have never had problems with wireless devices and the HH. (I have connected devices for people who have had problems but that has been for a variety of routers.) So I think that it would be more accurate to say: "I have problems connecting one of my devices to a Home Hub."

However I can understand that you don't want to muck about and do not have the expertise of some one who has been doing it for a while. (Plus I charge.)

The reason for the BT Vision question was that some routers can cope with BT Vision and other can't.

I have found that Netgear routers are easy to set up and represent good value for money. I haven't installed any 802.11n Netgears yet but the DG834G is very good. It has been my experience that it syncs a little faster than a BT HH 1.0/5. (Don't get too exited though, it is only a few kb/s.)

Last edited:
Ha ha
Don't get too exited though, it is only a few kb/s.
I'm not too bothered about whether it syncs a lot better, more I'd prefer it to actually work.

Have just installed a friends Netgear DG834N, temporarily, and boy what a difference. Was thinking of getting one myself, just might now. Certainly wouldn't pay anything for bt's HH if this is the competition. Have also been looking at the Billion 7402NX, but thats another story.:devil:

Have just installed a friends Netgear DG834N, temporarily, and boy what a difference. Was thinking of getting one myself, just might now. Certainly wouldn't pay anything for bt's HH if this is the competition.

However you have compared the latest Netgear with the old HH. The Version 2.0 Home Hub also has 802.11n WiFi. No one pays for a Home Hub.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom