New router - need ADSL2+ / Gigabit / Fastest Wireless / Dynamic DNS

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by mark.carline, Jan 5, 2007.

1. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I am looking for a new router to replace my old one and I would like a single box that does:

ADSL2+ (My ISP pipex is offering 8Mb upgrade and I currently only have ADSL / 2Mb)
    Gigabit
    Fastest Wireless available
    Dynamic DNS (I currently use Dynamic DNS service - www.no-ip.co.uk) and I dont want to install the DDNS service on my MCE PC.

Anyone know of a router that will do all of the above - if not I am happy to do without gigabit.

2. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    No router/modems do gigabit, afaik. It's no problem though, you just buy a gigabit switch for £20 and plug that in.

By the way, 8mbit is only adsl1, any modem can do it. If you want to think about possible future adsl2+, which is up to 24mbit (though most tend to get 10-18mbit), get either a Speedtouch 5x6 model, or a d-link DSL G624m (reduced atm, £40 at some places). Both of these are excellent at adsl2+, while many others that claim to do it perform very poorly indeed.

3. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
  4. arfster

arfster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    For 8mbit purposes, literally any modem will do the job - I've got a 4-port box that's 7 years old, it connects and works just fine. The only problem might be if you have a particularlu noisy line, in which case it's worth getting one with a Broadcom 6338/6348 chipset. These are also a necessity for adsl2+, that or the D-link mentioned above (has a Globepsan chipset with similar performance, and models based on are normally £100ish so it's a good deal).

Wireless performance of a particular model is as much down to your local environment as anything. Multipath issues and house construction materials make it almost random what result you will get.

5. stratagem

stratagem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of curiousity, I've often tried to think of an instance where you would use >100Mbps on a small Gigabit network, bearing in mind a 7200rpm HD is less than 100Mbps even with a 150Mbps interface.