New router/modem - which one?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Tephnos, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Tephnos

Tephnos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey guys,

Been using a Billion 7800N for a few years now, but with frequent wireless disconnects I was thinking of trying something new (It doesn't support IPSec VPN either, which is a pain as that's what I wanted my Synology NAS to use, right now I'm forced with PPTP).

Now I'm really not sure what would be the best router/modem for me. Ideally I'd like it to support Ipsec and be similar to my 7800N, just an all around upgrade honestly.

I noticed Billion has a new 7800D range, but wanted to know if there was anything better out there for the money these days? (Ideally I want a modem built in, otherwise I'm gonna need to buy a cheap ADSL modem too)

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    "Trying something new" because you are getting "frequent disconnects" is basically guessing. You'd be better off taking a more forensic approach and trying to find out why you're loosing connection. It may be that a simple channel change is all that's needed and that will cost nothing. You could do worse than take a look at the "wi-fi interference" FAQ pinned in this forum.

3. Tephnos

Tephnos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nah, I know what it is. The 7800N is well known for wifi issues years after use, due to the wifi chip being seperate from the main board, and stuck on with brown glue.

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,726
    Fair enough.