New Router IP address

bazzerkap

Novice Member
Can someone put my mind at rest please.
I have been using a Virgin-badged netgear router along with a Virgin 'hub' modem for many years.
Ever since I first started with internet/networking many years ago the base IP address for my network has always been 192.168.x.x. As a result all my 18 NAS units, all my 12+ media/satboxs/TV's etc all have 192.168.x1.x fixed addresses. Also in my three PC's all NAS and other devices are all drive-maps to 192.168.1.x addresses etc. So a hell of a lot of occurences of the 192.168.1.x addresses.
Now I am upgrading my router to an ASUS RT-AX82U as the old router won't handle the faster broadband and wifi speeds now promised by Virgin.
So the biggest fear I have now is when I swap out the old router for the new one will I still be able to use 192.168.1.x as it does not say in the ASUS manual or on the router itself what the IP address will be. It just gives a website address for the IP address;- http://router.asus.com
Does this website allow me to set the IP address myself? Or will it assign one that could throw out all my ip addresses.
Hope this is all clear as I am not a networking expert. Assigning fixed IP addresses to devices is about the limit of my capabilities.
I just don't want to find when I change the router out I can no longer access anything on my network.
Hope someone can take pity and help me. :)
Cheers

vacant

All the routers I've come across allow you to set the local IP address of the router and the address pool range it allocates to devices that connect to it.

I use the router's address reservation to fix IPs for my devices.

If you want to keep the same fixed IPs, alter the DHCP pool range before connecting devices. Example: router starts allocating addresses from 192.168.1.200 to 240. Then connect your 192.168.1.10 NAS and reserve that address on the router.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom