New router for noisy location - do I need Dual Band??

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by withnale, Jan 9, 2012.

1. withnale

withnale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'd like to upgrade my all-in-one ADSL wifi router to improve my wifi speed. I'm currently using a Speedtouch 2110 wireless ADSL all-in-one which only supports 802.11bg. NB: since this is an all-in-one the quality of the ADSL2+ connection would also be a factor (currently with Be at around 17000/1200 Kbps).

Obviously, the easiest upgrade is to move up to 802.11n but additionally I've read some stuff which suggests dual band is the way to go to get more robust performance when there are many competing signals. I live in a building with many wifi networks - a quick scan right now shows at least 20. I'm sure I am getting quite poor throughput on my existing 802.11g connection (whats the best way to test local LAN/Wifi connectivity?).

Right now I only have the following wireless clients I need to connect...

• iPhone 4
    • Two intel laptops (Windows + Linux) with Intel 4965AGN

The question is, will I really benefit from a dual band router to support these devices? Does the 4965AGN card support dual band anyway?

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to get the...

• TP-Link TD-W8960N --- basic router with good reviews but no 5 Ghz/Dual and only 100 Mb/s LAN ports
    • TP-Link TL-WR1043ND --- as above but with 1 Gb/s LAN ports but strangely seems to have poorer wifi reviews
    • Netgear DGND3700 --- seems to have great reviews but is around 120 GBP. Are the network speeds going to that different to justify this?

The first two routers are 35-40 GBP so there is quite a difference in price. Are there any other options I should consider? I'd like to stay under 100 GBP ideally.

cheers

2. maf1970

maf1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Download inSSIDer and Discover the Wi-Fi Networks Around You | | MetaGeekMetaGeek

Download InSSIDer and install on one of the laptops. Run it to gauge how busy the wireless is in your area. To maximise your current connection you are looking for the least congested channel(s). Change wifi config on current router from auto to the least congested channel.
    Seeing as you have 2 laptops with N enabled wifi cards - of course you would benefit from a dual band router. N wifi operates on both the 2.4 GHz and the lesser used 5 GHz bands. By configuring a new dual band router to use the 5Ghz band for N you will see less congestion.

3. withnale

withnale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just run inSSIDer and discovered there are 97 networks in the 2.4 Ghz range. Ouch!

I guess you're right and iperf is the way to go with real world results. Buying on amazon I can buy both and see which I prefer. I don't think the return fees are that much with them.

Are there any other routers I should be considering?

4. beerhunter

beerhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Just quick point. Because the channels overlap, to avoid channel conflict, one needs to move to a channel that is at least two channels away.

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171