1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Rotel processor/Amp or

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Supra, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hello,

I have just purchased a Pair of B&w CDM 9nts And CDM CNT centre speaker. This was a impulse purchase, having walked into sevenoaks Hi Fi to book a demo of the new Kef q5s/Q7s to replace my Q55.2s/Q55s and Kef cresta centre speaker. Anway these b &w speakers were on special offer(£700 off retail price, as new model is coming out), had listen to them and bought them, I was happy with my Kefs until i heard these.

My current Home cinema processor is the yamaha DSP E800. The fronts a powered by a Roksan Kandy Mk111. Whilst the roksan has enough power to drivce my front speakers I wish to upgrade my DSP 800 for cinema duties. It has been suggested to me that I replace my Roksan with seperate AV Proccesor and amp.

The guys in sevenoaks suggested that I should go for the rotel processor and Amp. I will be buying a pair of B&W Ds-7 for the sides and keep my Q55.2s for the rears.

I am currently in the middle of building my extension, it will be all open plan, dimensions 32 feet by 28feet. The area in which i plan to install all the speaker measure roughly 11 foot wide by 28 foot long.

Whilst i have heard the rotel in a home cinema setup(Sounds excellent) I am open to other suggestion to compliment the speakers. I listen mainly 70% music so would still like a good stereo sound.

I am also upgrading speaker cable to qed x tube xtb 300(Bi wired for the front main speakers) , with airlock plugs for the reciever/processor/ amp. This will replace my qed bi wire
    My Budget is prob £1800ish for new amp processor.

I hope the above makes sense, I wrote it in a hurry.

Oh yes the sub is a paradigm Servo 15.

2. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's probably worth trying to have a listen and see what you think, I switched from 2ch to a rotel processor and Arcam amps an I still think I'm mssing something with music now, especially since I bought a headphone amp and some Grado cans.

When I originally compared the Rotel processor I though it was very similar to a low end stereo pre-amp such Arcam 9 or Talk (hurricane or Thunder !!).

3. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i'm also looking for a new av to buy, and music is very important. There is no Av that plays music like a 2ch amp.
    We must buy a stereo amp and an av?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just the way it goes I'm afraid. Even my Lexicon MC-1 isn't as good as my Audiolab 8000S integrated amp. The MC-1 performs reasonbly well (using the Logic 7 Music mode helps)- but certainly not worth the £5500 asking price (when new) I would guess a £500 stereo integrated map is better than the MC-1

Since music has the higher prioty for you I would go for seperate boxes. I know it's more expensive and takes up more space, but it's well worth it. I also wanted the best music & AV system I could afford- so I've got two systems; totally seperate. A few people say the MC-1 is a bit naff in stereo- but this doesn't bother me because it's only being used in the AV system (DVD's) so "Hi-Fi" is not that important. Wheras my stereo system has the detail I like and is "Hi-Fi"

I also don't think much of the Rotel processors- a bit flat and lifeless in 2ch.

5. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if we use tho boxes, its important that they are from same manufacter. The power of each amp, should be the same?

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You mean processor & poweramps? No not really. Although the more cleaver ones (Tag processor & Tag 5 channel poweramp) can shut down the unused channels; for example when listening to 2 channel- the processor will shut down the centre & rears. And when it switches to 5 channel (DVD) it'll switch all the channels on. Settings are adjustable (ie always on etc)

If you buy say a Lexicon DC-2 and a Rotel 1095 it'll work just as well- as you can find the best sounding processor and poweramps; wheras a certain manu could make good poweramps but bad processors (IMO Rotel)

I useful feature is 12v trigger- say if you get a processor & poweramps with this feature- when you switch the processor on it'll switch the poweramp on. And it switches the poweramp off when the processor is switched off.

If you decide to go the cheaper route (AV amp with Stereo integrated amp) again you don't need to match. Say Onkyo AV amp with a Naim stereo integrated amp.

7. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Looks like I will be Keeping the roksan. Any suggestion for a decent home cinema amplifer, ive only heard the new rotel at sevenoaks sound and vision. They had a rotel procesoor with to rotel amps. It did sound quite good with the M&K speakers they had.
    I'm looking at max £1800, i want 7.1 processing as well.

Thanks for all your help so far.

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan.

Talking (honest) sense at long last.

Steven

9. Hello

Hello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinkinkg in Onkyo 701 and arcam A85 or NAD.
    Do you think is a good match.

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Huh? I though you're keeping the Roksan?- so why mention the Arcam A85? (which is a stereo integrated amp)

The Onkyo's are good AV amps. :) Don't seem to be mass hysteria like some AV amps around here (ie Pioneer 2011)

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    My recommendation would be a TAG AV30R or a an AV32R (if you can stretch to it). Pair it with a Rotel 1075 poweramp. £2k will get you both comfortably. Obviously listen to them first if possible.

People also rate the Lexicon MC1 highly - I think they go for £1500 but I havent seen any for sale recenyly

12. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I think a second hand Meridian 565 would be a good choice of processor.

13. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    my halo c2 and amp outperforms my old linn majik amp:p :clap:

14. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Looks like i will have to demo quite a few models before purchasing. I will do this over the next few weeks and then decide. Just one point cani still purchase the rotels processor and power amp and still use my roksan to drive the front two speakers?

thanks for all the info so far