Quantcast

New room, speakers quieter

Astaroth

Ok, so the wife has decided to live with the old speakers a little longer before looking to replace them :suicide:

So we still have the Denon AVR-2310 with Mission M74i. M7c2, M7ds and M5as attached exactly as they were in the old room. The new room however is much smaller, probably half the size, though in the old room there was a large space behind the main listening seat in the new place there is a moderate space to one side and almost none behind.

In the old room normal listening volume tended to be at about "-50" on the amp for normal TV and "-35" for DVD/ BluRay. Using the same kit/ sources etc I am now finding "-30" is needed for TV and "-20" for movies. Whilst I dont play anything VERY loud just to interest I pushed the amp to maximum and it was much quieter than it used to be.

The auto room EQ was run in both and whilst distances etc are all different etc the ± on each speaker is almost the same as it used to be with an average of probably +0.5.

Any suggestions whats going on? I would have thought the same speakers in a much smaller room would have sounded louder rather than quieter, especially with the loss of a "void" to fill.

jason shep

Astaroth said:
Ok, so the wife has decided to live with the old speakers a little longer before looking to replace them :suicide:

So we still have the Denon AVR-2310 with Mission M74i. M7c2, M7ds and M5as attached exactly as they were in the old room. The new room however is much smaller, probably half the size, though in the old room there was a large space behind the main listening seat in the new place there is a moderate space to one side and almost none behind.

In the old room normal listening volume tended to be at about "-50" on the amp for normal TV and "-35" for DVD/ BluRay. Using the same kit/ sources etc I am now finding "-30" is needed for TV and "-20" for movies. Whilst I dont play anything VERY loud just to interest I pushed the amp to maximum and it was much quieter than it used to be.

The auto room EQ was run in both and whilst distances etc are all different etc the ± on each speaker is almost the same as it used to be with an average of probably +0.5.

Any suggestions whats going on? I would have thought the same speakers in a much smaller room would have sounded louder rather than quieter, especially with the loss of a "void" to fill.
You're current master volume levels of -30 / -20 db sound much more in line with what I'd expect to be normal listening levels,-50db is very low,you're previous calibration in you're old room may have gone wrong for some reason but odd you say speaker trims are similar to before,are you sure they are similar ?

Astaroth

The only one that is significantly different is the sub but its internal amp was replaced recently so I wasnt surprised about that.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Have the furnishings in the room changed? Have you got carpet now but had hard floors before? Do you have more curtains or similar on the wall that could absorb sound?

Astaroth

The room is now 50% carpet, 50% tile where as old room was 100% carpet. Wooden slat blinds (covering 1 whole wall) replaced with paper roller blind covering a large window (probably 40% of a wall). All furnishings in the room the same as before.

I think its just going to be "one of those things" and not really get to the bottom of it. Still sounds fine and the loss of "exceptionally loud" setting isnt really an issue but was just curious as to the reasoning.

siga

Standard Member
Room is too small and auto EQ corrects echoing by levelling volume down a little?
srry for my english :)

Top Bottom