1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New room response spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chrisgeary, Jun 2, 2004.

1. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    All,

I have been tinkering with the excel spreadsheet widely used for mapping SPL values from your meter into a compensated graph. I never much liked that blue background :D
    But I was wondering if I could, somehow, incorporate my BFD settings in there to give a rough idea of how my settings interacted with the response I was seeing. This is not as easy as you would think. In fact its far from perfect. I was wondering if there are any Excel dudes out there who could help me complete it?

Basically, I have managed to work out the operating frequency range of a filter based on the frequency, fine and bandwidth settings from the BFD frequency chart in the manual. Great. However, I want it to be part of the same graph. Therefore I need to do some interpolation of the results, somehow. This is the bit I can't figure out.

Anyway, as it stands, it can show roughly what's going on, it just doesn't take into account bandwidth or fine settings. In fact, you have to enter your settings in the lower tables, and then interpolate it yourself and enter values into the upper table, where the SPL readings go.

1. Can anyone help with the formulas?
    2. Is this enhanced spreadsheet useful?

cheers

Chris

Attached Files:

2. OldEngland

OldEngland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    nope, never saw that before. its interesting, and very complicated - there can't be that many people who can generate a signal to decimal places! i put in my room response, program a phantom BFD to work out what settings work. I guess I was looking to keep it all on one graph, so I can see at a glance my raw room, corrected room and a rough idea of the BFD curves applied.

since nobody else has responded, then I'm guessing this isn't useful to the AV community in general. It's near enough for my own benefit so I'll leave it at that.

4. Spearmint

Spearmint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris...

I wouldn't get too despondent about the lack of response. The problem is you are talking about some very complex issues; you may need to post this on another forum where it will be exposed to more people that have a better understanding of acoustics etc.

Personally I commend you on trying to develop what could be a great tool for the audio enthusiast.

Dick

5. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    ah thanks for that =)

ill plod away at it until i can get some of those formulas working. which forum do you think would see the most benefit? i figured subwoofers as its directly related to them and BFDs get talked about a lot here..

still looking for excel experts too..

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Home Theatre Forum-speakers?

Very wide range of expertise on a mostly USA based membership forum with other nationalities present.

I just wish I could afford Excel. I only have the free reader. :blush:

Not sure if it's PQ to mention another forum here. :suicide:

Mods: Please feel free to remove this post if it contravenes forum protocol.

Nimby

7. rez

rez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Chris, your work seems interesting. I'll take a closer look when I get a BFD.

Now, sorry to go a bit offtopic..
    Have you tried OpenOffice? I'm using it to handle MS Office documents on Linux - works pretty well.