1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New room layout, your opinions please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by theo cupier, Feb 22, 2005.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    This seems like the best place for this post, since it's partly about sound fields, partly about noise issues, partly about video placement etc etc...

I'm about to move to a new house and have 'decided' that the living room will be a haven to the AV system. Not quite a dedicated a home cinema, but at least it will be saved from constant attack by my young children (the theory being that if they are in this room, it's to sit and watch / listen).

The house is a 1930's semi - so solid brick throughout and with carpet over suspended wooden floors. Unfortunately this room is on the party wall with the neighbours.

I’ve sketched out two options for how I think the room layout might work and as yet I'm undecided about which option to go for. So far as I see it, both have downsides:

Option 1:
    + Keeps front speakers away from party wall (for Neighbour Acceptance Factor)
    - Leaves TV (28in CRT) a bit far away from main viewing position on sofa
    - may not allow adequate width of front speakers at viewing/listening position?

Option 2
    + puts TV closer to sofa
    - Puts the TV much nearer one front speaker than the other
    - front speakers too far apart for music?
    - front speakers near party wall

I don’t think either option would let me position the rears on the side walls (I’m thinking of changing to some Mission 77DS since this might help reduce that problem).

I’m flexible about the position of the sub – if it needs to move away from the party wall then this can probably be achieved. Equally I may have been a bit vague with the size of the sofa, so it may be stuck on the right hand wall in either event, this is not too much of a problem.

I know the answer is probably ‘try both layouts and see which is best’ but do any of you experts out there have any strong views about which would be the better one to start with? Also, are there any variations which I’ve missed?

Attached Files:

2. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Of the 2 i would say first layout by a mile second looks terrible to be honest mate

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
  4. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    cheers Docta!

I think option 2 becomes much more attractive as and whena plasma screen makes an appearance and gets mounted on the chimney breast on the party wall! Then the front speakers straddle the chimney and the TV and set things just about pefectly for Option 2, I think...

Fingers crossed that the furniture etc all fits for Option 1 in the interim.

5. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    One thing to consider if you want to avoid upsetting the neighbours...you might want to consider moving the sub away from the party wall!

6. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Does your amp allow you to set different distance/timing for both front speakers? If not i would think the positioning could be a problem.

7. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to put my 2 penneth in.

I would go with option 1 but move the sofa away from the wall and closer to the middle of the room making the distance from the TV to the sofa around 3-4 meters. This will do 2 things.

1. Bettersound field from the rears if/when you get the Mission dipoles. The sound will bounce off the side walls and come back in again.
    2. Makes a room look bigger if large furniture is placed away from a wall (Sofas, tables).

Be careful about the light coming in from the windows when watching tv in the daytime, don't want to strain your eyes !

If you want to fill the gap on the back wall you can get a sideboard if there is enough space or a bookcase which would also act as sound deadening.

Also, I would hang the door the other way round to hang on the left. I hate to see doors that open in to a room. I'm guessing you'd have to move the light switch though.

Richie.