New room, dual cylinders, forum day & PB13 Ultra

suniil

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Post no.27 Review
Post no.30 Pictures

We left KHC around 2:30PM after AVForum day with a great satisfaction from begining till finish everything was excellent. This is the first time i attended a forum day @ KHC.

I was there just to hear/feel of Box 13 and meet other members. Met most of the members and said hello, which was the main purpose.

Did box ultra 13 was upto my expections? A short answer is No!. I can still consume quite a lot of LFE. Heard lot of power, bass & loudness in that room but not the real effect of LFE, that i'm familar with other family members of SVSs I have/had.

May be because of the simple reasons, including the seating position, the room or too much of expectation (hays mentioned this).

I read each & every post in forums regarding Box and cylinder ultras. Not seen a single negative comment on 13 ultra at normal (or higher) *listening* levels and some of the high lights goes like this

Get the feeling of air pushing out upto 7 to 8 feet
Dust /sand moving in front of the ports
Feeling of a concrete wall hits your chest
Still gets my blood pumping!

Did I change my mind. No! my name is already in the pre-order list and keen to receive the shiny piano black box. Glad to hear Santa may bring a gift!. SVS can't go wrong, i've experienced their customer service couple of times directly and via KHC, which is absolutely top notch!

Ok, back to topic. Walked straight to living room, after returning from KHC & started playing with my fav bass rich scenes. I've had refurbished my living room after moving in recently and never got a chance to calibrate the sub.

Gathered all the tools & cables required, still misplaced the M-audio USB soundcard somewhere. I've to live with onboard sound, but looks alright for the purpose. Here are some raw and refined graphs along with pics of new living room (most of you guys already seen this)

Tripod ready at listening level to measure up
calib2.jpg

PC wired up
calib3.jpg

Below the Raw response graph of Sub1 which has 12.3 driver
sub1.jpg

follows the Raw response graph of Sub2 which has 12.2 driver
sub2.jpg

And finally the Raw response graph of dual subs. I've gained 7-8db, for running both the subs together and slightly better response curve. Though it is uncalibrated, looks fine to me, i can get away with 3-4 filters.
dual.jpg

Dual subs calibrated [first round - 4 filters
dualcalib5.jpg

Dual subs calibrated [fine tuned - 2 more filters
I've added another 2 filters to bring down the peaks to make the response better
dualcalib6.jpg

And finally the subs.
calib1.jpg

Box 13 will take up the space of dual cylinders, i may have to move cylinders to another room or dismantle :) for my future DIY project

your thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Suniil
Where did you get the stands that the cylinders are on?
Does this make a big difference to the sound?

Thanks.

yes eviljohn is right! Auralex Gramma, that makes difference, though not a lot.

Does this make a big difference to the sound?

Subdude (nice name) is slightly different, which is dedicated for subs. Gramma is for wider use (at least the package says)

Looks like Auralex Gramma to me (aka SubDude).

Suniil

Your room must have the lowest absorption factor I have ever seen.

I imagine that dropping a handkerchief on the floor would alter the room's sound quality. ;)

Suniil, I think a lot of people are waiting to hear a 13U without the 'benefit' of the Audyssey Pro EQ and I speak as someone entirely convinced by the far less complex MultEQ in my AVR. As somone with a pretty hard room (although yours raises the bar somewhat) it's an amazing piece of kit.

The differences it made to the scale of the soundstage in the PB13U room was without doubt, but as with all EQ systems where a manual and therefore, 'personal' input is made, you're left wondering if you would make the same choices. Would you choose accurate over fun? Clearly, that's a question that would generate a range of very different answers.

Russell

i would go for manual adjustments to achive maximum listening experience at sweetspot, though not sure how that affect the hard to reproduce LFE tracks

Nimby: you are right. 2 feet away from the sweetspot gives me a very different response graph!

Would you choose accurate over fun?

Superb room suniil :thumbsup: i know i have already commented on you're room in the HC forum but it really is very stylish....the PB13 Ultra will sit perfectly where the 2 * 25-31's sit, adding some soft furnishings will certainly help though with the sound.

when i heard the pb 12 plus 2 at kent home cinema centre earlier this year, it sounded great but when i got it home and spent a few hours it sounded so much better i could feel the sound presure as it tried to push the walls apart so all i can say is if you think the subs at av sales sounded good wait till you get the monsters home all those poor neighbours.:devil:

Marc, nice to meet you on forum day.

I've no doubt in Ported Box 13 performs well. May be i'm just more bass hungry, or not used to listen the soundstage/surrounds that loud. Now i'm thinking of getting 2 of the boxes that one can fire from sound stage and other from back (where the tubes sits now.). I should have kept PB12/2 to run along with new ultra :(

New neighbour has given permission to visit his house this weekend to check the noise level, though he says he can't hear any sound from my home!

when i heard the pb 12 plus 2 at kent home cinema centre earlier this year, it sounded great but when i got it home and spent a few hours it sounded so much better i could feel the sound presure as it tried to push the walls apart so all i can say is if you think the subs at av sales sounded good wait till you get the monsters home all those poor neighbours.:devil:

Just a while ago :)

So, it's arrived, where are the pics! :D ;)

Richard!! sorry for all the pestering since aug 07 & thanks for tolerating me all the time:). Absolutely superb service, please pass thank you note to Dick@avsales for delivering this.

It's here, when other members said it's massive i never expected this size & weight. For those who are expecting to take the delivery of PB13, please make a note, you have enough friends at home to help you out!

DSC_0656_svs.jpg

:clap: :D

Get rid of that box, free the beast :devil:

Thank you also for your kind words, you are more than welcome.

Two 25-31PC+ and one PB13 Ultra...I'm slightly surprised and a little disappointed that you're not attempting to hook them all up ;)

ummm that looks good sunill :thumbsup: although i think you are being a bit greedy with 3 subs in one corner :D

not that greedy :), going to try in couple of other corners as well. good thing is i can easily move around PB13 on a carpet on tiles!

ummm that looks good sunill :thumbsup: although i think you are being a bit greedy with 3 subs in one corner :D

**Not to KHC guys**

Hi SVS: No t-shirt, no hat, no 5% discount (returning customers) in UK - shouldn't you treat all of us in similar way :)?

DSC_0662_SVS.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom