New rig. What do you think?

Stanphi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Welcome :thumbsup:

Your choice of motherboard doesn't support SLI. I'd recommend the Z77X-D3H which does (and is generally a better board).

Ah thanks :). And thanks for the quick response

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You'll need a slightly more beefy power supply if you want to run 460s in SLI without having to worry. I'd say go for minimum 850w to keep you future proof.

Yea they run like an oven as well, hot, power hungry, and not that powerful anymore, I suggest a newer GPU, but if you are getting them for £140 for the pair then it's not a bad deal.

I suggest a 660 Ti.

That'll be the whole system, not just the GPU.

Yea they run like an oven as well, hot, power hungry, and not that powerful anymore, I suggest a newer GPU, but if you are getting them for £140 for the pair then it's not a bad deal.

I suggest a 660 Ti.

No they don't. GF104 was pretty good for power usage etc.

That'll be the whole system, not just the GPU.

No they don't. GF104 was pretty good for power usage etc.

Compared to the 6xx series they are, still run stupidly hot especially two of them, I know, I had them in SLI, I ended up water cooling them because of the temps, ditched them when the 5xx was released, much better in every aspect.

Compared to the 6xx series they are, still run stupidly hot especially two of them, I know, I had them in SLI, I ended up water cooling them because of the temps, ditched them when the 5xx was released, much better in every aspect.
Load temps are about the same. Saying it runs like an oven is just wrong. There's no question that a card two years on for the same price or more performs better while using less power. That's how architectural and fabrication improvements work.

Ok I was exaggerating a bit when i said oven, but I remember them being extremely warm, I remember there being plenty of issues with hot cards when released all over tech forums.

Quote from TomsHardware

"The Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 is a hot card, both figuratively and literally. It features the latest and greatest from Nvidia, and it also runs quite hot when asked to push pixels. Those looking for lowering their energy consumption from their computers aren't likely to find their greenest solutions in the GTX 480. But according to Nvidia, that's the way it's meant to be played."

Response from nVidia:

"We wanted to let you know that we've also heard your concerns about GTX 480 with respect to power and heat. When you build a high performance GPU like the GTX 480 it will consume a lot of power to enable the performance and features I listed above. It was a tradeoff for us, but we wanted it to be fast. The chip is designed to run at high temperature so there is no effect on quality or longevity. We think the tradeoff is right"

To the OP, up to you if you wish to purchase them I would recommend not to though, but each to his own, still a good deal though for the price.

Last edited:
i'd buy an asus mobo over a gigabyte one, theyre just built better. ive had all kinds of stupid issues with gigabyte mobo's like USB ports not working then a few weeks down the line its ok again :confused: to bios issues.

i really will never buy a gigabyte mobo again.

Ok I was exaggerating a bit when i said oven, but I remember them being extremely warm, I remember there being plenty of issues with hot cards when released all over tech forums.

Quote from TomsHardware

"The Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 is a hot card, both figuratively and literally. It features the latest and greatest from Nvidia, and it also runs quite hot when asked to push pixels. Those looking for lowering their energy consumption from their computers aren't likely to find their greenest solutions in the GTX 480. But according to Nvidia, that's the way it's meant to be played."

Response from nVidia:

"We wanted to let you know that we've also heard your concerns about GTX 480 with respect to power and heat. When you build a high performance GPU like the GTX 480 it will consume a lot of power to enable the performance and features I listed above. It was a tradeoff for us, but we wanted it to be fast. The chip is designed to run at high temperature so there is no effect on quality or longevity. We think the tradeoff is right"

To the OP, up to you if you wish to purchase them I would recommend not to though, but each to his own, still a good deal though for the price.
We are not talking about the GTX480. The GTX460 is based on GF104, not GF100.

Excuse my ignorance I thought they were GTX 480's he mentioned, doh!

haha this is incredible! thankyou so much to you all for the great replies and well i think ill do a little edit just now :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom