New REM album

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Dr_Mike, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Channel 4 teletext reported this morning that there's a new REM album coming out in October this year. Can't remember the exact name, something to do with sunshine or sunrise or something. 1st single of the album will be released a week earlier than the album.

2. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I really like the last 2 (up & reveal) - although they took a while to grow on me.

3. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thought that Reveal was great, but am not the biggest fan of up. New Adventures was great though. Anyone else out there like the 'before they were famous' stuff (Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, Lifes Rich Pagent) ?

4. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the album "Around the Sun" is released on 4th October and preceded by a single "Leaving New York" on 27th September.
    the guy doing the music news on 6 music yesterday said he'd heard some tracks from the new album and said it reminded him of "life's rich pageant" era REM. The other thing I remember him saying was that "REM have stopped trying to sound like anyone else and have gone back to sounding like REM again". Sounds like good news for Dr Mike.

5. Dr_Mike

Dr_Mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks, Cheesywang

Sounding Promising :D

6. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    New album - Good News! :D

I've been into REM for a long time - over 15 years and I've got most of the albums inlcluding the early 80's stuff.

They've had some "interesting" phases over the years, and I tend to like the less mainstream albums like New Adventures that got a bit of a slating. The only one I've never been that keen on is Up which seemed like REM half heartedly chucking out an album for the sake of it, fortunately Reveal was much better.

Of the earlier stuff - most of it is very good and distinctive. Document was a blinder and Reckoning and Fables of the Recontruction are quite often found in my car CD Player. Friends are usually heard to comment "What the hell is that?" and look disbelieving when I tell then it's REM - the usual followup is "That doesn't sound like Shiny Happy People...."

What do people think to Monster? When I rushed out and bought it on release day I was really disappointed and it got shelved for about 2 years. It's probly the one album that's really grown on me over the years.

7. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    This is great news! Been a fan for a number of years (Green...) and it's always exciting when a band you really like has a new album coming out.
    With regards to 'Monster' - I really like this album. A very straight forward rock n roll record. 'Crush With Eyeliner' & 'Star 69' being particular favourites.

'New Adventures In Hi-Fi' has to be one of the most underrated albums ever!
    There appeared to be a little bit of a backlash towards the band when this album came out...

8. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I managed to miss Green the first time round, but once you hear it, it fits well between Document and Out of Time. IIRC it's the first Warner released record and it's more pop-py and mainstream than the earlier stuff.

Agree with you on Monster, the tracks mentioned and Tongue are my favourites. Once you look past the reverb it's a good rock album. I was initially so disappointed with Monster, and heard the press slating New Adventures when released so it just passed me by. I only got up a copy after a chance conversation with someone at work who recommended it to me not knowing I like REM about 18 months after release.

9. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Been a fan since Document thanks to Melody Maker's then description of them as the American equivalent of The Smiths...a little off the mark there, on reflection. For what it's worth, Life's Rich Pageant is my favourite of theirs closely followed by Document - I've never grown tired of those 2.

I can take or leave the new stuff. Reveal had its moments but I was, quite frankly, bored silly by Up. I don't think they've really produced a consistent album since AFTP.

That said, I'll be picking the new one up and I'll be there for the tour next year.

10. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to let you know

There is a sample of the new single on their website now, remhq.com