New Recruit - Requires Plasma/LCD Advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by samhain, Apr 1, 2004.

Tags:
  1. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Hi all

First post, glad to be here.

Moving into a new house (once it's built) in November. Girlfriend has agreed to a 50" Plasma or equivalent !! Good Call there I think.

I am not going to buy just now, but what's on the horizon for around that time which I need to be aware of ?

What is the release schedule of these monitors LCD and Plasma. Is there likely to be new ones this year ?

Best plasma I have seen to date was a 32" Hitachi believe it or not, but as usual poor feeds to the other monitors in Comet doesn't help their cause eh ? That was Sony 42" I think and the big Pioneer.

I would prefer LCD to be honest provided it has decent black reproduction but they don't go that big yet.

I see there seems to be great excitment about the Panny 7 series even though we don't know that much about it. The 6 series won awards but I though the review was slightly disappointing. I want a sharp image for £5k not soft. Each to their own I suppose ?

Thanks again

Regards

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just search these boards your questions are some of the most regularly asked & the answer is demo, demo , demo at good dealers (not the Comet's & Curry's of this world)

Most of the time it comes down to a handfull of manufacturers & your personal taste/priorities. If I was in the market for a 50" plasma now it would be a Panny.

(I already have a slightly smaller Panny so would be biased towards that one, but I looked at all the major manufacturers before buying my Panny)

3. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    What's the point of demoing now if I ain't buying for 6 months ? Then a next gen comes out ?

You'll notice I didn't say what do I buy but what considerations should I have for the coming months.

Demoing is ofcourse essential and thanks for the tip, but it was a more strategic question I was asking.

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    None

My advice is just have a good look at them before you do decide to buy because not everybody looking at the same panels with a quality feed will still agree on what is best.

I could answer what is the point in asking the question now if you are not interested for 6 months:rolleyes:

Important considerations for most people are black levels, resolution , colour , detail , connectivity

5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I know mate, but it's also called forward planning !!

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Panasonic 7 series will be fresh out when you are looking. New pioneer coming, well, er, now? Ha Ha. Fujitsu will be nearing the end of a product cycle, so a possible bargain. There are simply no quantum leaps with new products any more, there isn't enough room for it, they're pretty good now. The new Pioneer HDE's were loudly trumpeted as just this, but they're a sad disappointment from what they could have been. Still good, just not good enough to blow my mind. Keep a watching brief here, and you will be quite wise in 6 months time.

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Every 6 months new panels are out..........details of what will be on the next generation & which manufacture will have the march on the others is speculation only that far ahead in this game.

One thing I will guarantee with this game is no matter which you get within a year you will be looking wistfully at something else.:D

8. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    All good stuff, thanks lads. I think LCD (even with it's pitfalls) will improve dramatically in the next 12 months.

Cheers