New Recorder - EX77 or HXD870 ?

Vincenzo

Standard Member
I have decided to replace my trusty Panny DMR-E55 which is going to a new home. I have narrowed the replacement model down to 2 models.

1. Panasonic DMR-EX77EB-S (silver) (best price was £204 multi-region)
2. Sony RDR-HXD870 (silver) (best price was £206 multi-region)

I have 2 requirements.
1. It must be silver in colour (all my existing kit , all panasonic btw, is silver)
2. It must be able to read DVD-RAM discs.

The EX77 ticks virtually all the boxes but I do have a few questions.
1. The EX77 has a DVB tuner. Currently my 37" plasma defaults to analogue viewing, but I just press the digi button on the remote to get freeview. This suits me and the wife. Will this work in the same way with the EX77 ?. I notice that the HXD870 has analogue and DVB tuners.

2. The HXD870 has a series link function (like sky+). The EX77 doesn't have this function. Are Panasonic going to release a new model with a series link function ??? They seem to update the range every 12-18 months so it must be due a refresh soon.

3. The Sony can read DVD-RAM disks according to the spec. Has anybody had any problems or can confirm that this works ok. I like DVD-RAM disks and I've got a big collection of them.

Gavtech

Administrator
I have decided to replace my trusty Panny DMR-E55 which is going to a new home. I have narrowed the replacement model down to 2 models.

1. Panasonic DMR-EX77EB-S (silver) (best price was £204 multi-region)
2. Sony RDR-HXD870 (silver) (best price was £206 multi-region)

I have 2 requirements.
1. It must be silver in colour (all my existing kit , all panasonic btw, is silver)
2. It must be able to read DVD-RAM discs.

The EX77 ticks virtually all the boxes but I do have a few questions.
1. The EX77 has a DVB tuner. Currently my 37" plasma defaults to analogue viewing, but I just press the digi button on the remote to get freeview. This suits me and the wife. Will this work in the same way with the EX77 ?. I notice that the HXD870 has analogue and DVB tuners.

This behaviour is entirely in the domain of the TV and will not be affected by anything you connect to it - whatever flavour.
2. The HXD870 has a series link function (like sky+). The EX77 doesn't have this function. Are Panasonic going to release a new model with a series link function ??? They seem to update the range every 12-18 months so it must be due a refresh soon.
No information currently... and none expected for some time yet. It is possible that it may be included, but not certain.
Such systems are good on paper but as it depends on pro-activity on the part of broadcasters, performance can be very patchy and flakey... No doubt in the same way as PDC was.
There have been many teething troubles so far and any system can quickly become discredited once users have missed a few crucial programmes - which is what is happening currently.
3. The Sony can read DVD-RAM disks according to the spec. Has anybody had any problems or can confirm that this works ok. I like DVD-RAM disks and I've got a big collection of them.

Then you need to know that the Sony's only READ RAMs - They cannot write to them.

MuksC

as Gav said, the Panasonic can write to as well as read RAM discs, the Sony can only read them.

and you're in the perfect situation concerning freeview watching, you have a tuner in your TV and if you buy either of these units, you can record 1 channel with the recorder's own digital tuner, and watch a different channel through your TV's tuner.

bigalt

Had a ES15 and moved up to a EX77 and can not fault it. Quiet and stable. Easy to edit out adverts and easy to set timers. Would recommend it.

mray

Bigalt. Is the recording quality any better on the EX77 please? Compared to your previous ES15 I mean.

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
In terms of video quality there is very little in it. At least not that I can tell.

I went for the Sony 870 due to the analogue (as well as digital) tuner. As it will be used in an area with poor freeview reception. I was put off by the bug with timers but that seems fixed now.

ramjet

Banned
I bought the 970b for the dual tuners ( 1 analogue , 1 digital ) , the series link , and the fact I like sony stuff anyway ( and pioneer which is what it really is )

its that good I am waiting for my second one to arrive :)

filmyfan

Standard Member
Hi All,

This is all very interesting as I am going thru a similar conundrum myself !

I am unsure whether to plump for the EX77 or HXD870.

Does anyone know whether either of them plays jpegs from CD's ? There seems to mixed info on the web reviews I have seen although the Sony seems ok.

Also I would need a multi Region version....is that possible to buy or do they both need to be hacked ?

Thanks all

ramjet

Banned
my first 970b came as region free ( probably done by the shop ) and they can be bought as multi region

it can play divx files from dvd or cd , and play mp3 and jpegs from dvd or cd or usb memory sticks

redsox_mark

Distinguished Member
Both support jpegs on CDs (per their manuals).
Both need to be hacked to be multi-region; both are readily available with the multi-region hack already done (e.g. from RGB Direct).

bigalt

Bigalt. Is the recording quality any better on the EX77 please? Compared to your previous ES15 I mean.

Just as good. I never used the analogue tuner as my picture was not up to much but from the cable box it was perfect in XP and much the same in SP. I never used the longer modes LP and EP. I often used the FR mode to get 3 hours on a single sided disk and would not consider going any longer than this unless there had been no other way. The EX77 the picture from the digital tuner is really good. I get a really good signal on most of the digital channels. While it cannot record straight onto the double layer disks You can get 3h 40mins on one by recording onto the hard disk and then burning it out to a double layer disk using the high speed record. I have found the LP mode seems better than the ES15, not sure if it is because of the digital tuner or not. In SP mode on a doulble layer you can get about 1h 50mins at top quality. When you get a DVD recorder (whatever make) with hard disk you will wonder how you managed using one without one.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom