New Reciever Dilema

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paino, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Paino

Paino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

It's sale time and bargains to be had, so I went along to my local Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds, only to be told Onkyo, Onkyo, Onkyo. I currently have an Onkyo 606 and I do like it however I would like some opinion's on other brands. The Yamaha RX-810, Denon 2312, Marantz SR6006, Pioneer 2021 and Onkyo 709 (809, wont fit in the cabinet) are all available for around £599.

What Hi-Fi appear to give out 5 stars to anything and everything and there doesn't appear to many other reviews around so thats why I have turned to helpful people.

The amp will be mainly used for Blu-Ray and some music. Speakers are Kef Q500, 200 and 100.

Cheers.

2. Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was in the same position a few weeks ago.. Coming from a denon 2805. Sevenoaks for me were very pro Pioneer.. I wanted movies and music so was put off by the Onkyo's abilities there, plus tales on here of reliability issues. I listened to the pioneer 2021 ( an lx55 with a plastic front and no wifi dongle was confirmed to me by Sevenoaks) and the Yamaha a810. The pioneer sounded good with music and my speakers, the Yamaha less so.. A little muddy. So I went for the pioneer. I havnt yet got the movie playback as I want it, as I prefer a bit more slam than the mcacc auto setup has provided.. But I have to say it is an exciting listen so far...

3. Paino

Paino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Out of interest did you just test the Pioneer and Yamaha? Why did you not test a Denon or Onkyo? I got told by both salesmen that Pioneer amps aren't great until you start spending £1k +, I can't imagine that is true?!? Is there a massive difference between your Pioneer and old Denon?

Cheers for your help.

4. Speedluvver

Speedluvver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Didn't test the onkyo due to both sevenoaks and audio t telling me that they arnt great for music.. And I had read on here some reliability issues... With the denon, I had read and been told that they have lost their way a little of late. Also, the 2312 would have been a step down from my 2805 and the 3312 beyond my budget.. The 2021 got a great review in home cinema choice and the lx55 five stars in what hifi.. So although that didn't make the decision.. It helped. As per previous post, the pioneer was better with music than the Yamaha..

In comparison to my denon, the pioneer has a clearer sound, better effect placement. There is less slam, but I may not have my sub setup correctly for the amp yet... Still playing around with setup...

Of course, the 2021 also has hdmi and apple AirPlay etc...