New reciever and ohms value?

LetsSayHey

Novice Member
hi,
I got myself av Onkyo (NR686) homecinema reciever on Black Friday sale and was thinking of setting it up this week (late I know)
In the manual it says something about ohms that needs to be adjusted in the settings but I have no clue what my old speakers have regarding ohms?
On my old Paradgim Atom surround speakers it says nothing while on my old Dynavoice it says something I just dont understand....picture included here.(looks like +4 is the clue but +4 from what)
Any help for a noob?

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd ordinarilly be advised not to use the impedance switching anyway because it isn't really needed and only serves to starve your speakers of power in order to allow the receiver to meet certain criteria in the USA that removes manufacturer liability

Setting the A/V Receiver Impedance Selector Switch

I cannot comment upon the impedance of your speakers and the image you posted gives no indication of their impedance, but the AV receiver will include inbuilt protection circuitry that would prevent any damage being done to it if it were struggling to powr lower impedance speakers. Forget the impedance switching and leave it set to its default.

LetsSayHey

Novice Member
Thanks for your reply and links.
From your link it looks like my M-65 speakers have written 4-8 Ohm value
So from the picture i posted would you change the "triangle" set up thing and perhaps not do anything in the setup of the reciever?
Hope you understand what im writing...im living way up north in europe and english isnt my main language :/

Last edited by a moderator:

dante01

Distinguished Member
The X-change setting has nothing at all to do with the impedance of the speakers and the impedance will remain the same irrespective of the X-change configuration you use. X-change
is used to fine-tune the midrange audio performance in accordance with your own listening tastes.

As already suggested, you'd be best advised not to use the impedance switching onboard the AV receiver and to leave it set to its 8ohm default irrespective of the rated impredance of your speakers. You will not be effecting the audio performance and the receiver has other means of protecting itself from overheating.

LetsSayHey

Novice Member
The X-change setting has nothing at all to do with the impedance of the speakers and the impedance will remain the same irrespective of the X-change configuration you use. X-change
is used to fine-tune the midrange audio performance in accordance with your own listening tastes.

As already suggested, you'd be best advised not to use the impedance switching onboard the AV receiver and to leave it set to its 8ohm default irrespective of the rated impredance of your speakers. You will not be effecting the audio performance and the receiver has other means of protecting itself from overheating.
ok will leave the ohms settings at default.....thank you kindly for all help :)

John7

You've got you speaker wires round the "wrong" way. ;)

The conductor with the red stripe should go to the corresponding red terminal on the speaker. It's OK if it's connected the same way at the other end (i.e. red stripe wire to receiver black terminal) but it can be easily confused....just sayin'

LetsSayHey

Novice Member
You've got you speaker wires round the "wrong" way. ;)

The conductor with the red stripe should go to the corresponding red terminal on the speaker. It's OK if it's connected the same way at the other end (i.e. red stripe wire to receiver black terminal) but it can be easily confused....just sayin'
Yes you`re right.....I cant see it due to beeing colorblind...one of the reasons that I havent been able to setup this reciever yet.